LegacyGT.com

Differences between JDM and USDM cubbies

SC GT

I bought this JDM cubby off of Yahoo Auctions and planned on installing some gauges in it without ripping up my cubby.

The differences I've observed between it and the USDM cubby are:

1. It's got the screw holes at the top that will stabilize the Subaru/AVO din mount kit.

2. To open the door, you press it and a cabinet-type mechanism lifts up the door. On ours, you just lift the door, no mechanism.

3. No heat warning label inside.

4. Inside the cubby its got that fuzzy material, whereas ours is smooth.

5. No rubber mat at the bottom of the cubby.

6. On the display, it's got a "SET" button. (I have no idea what this button does, or whether there are any differences in the display functions in the JDM display compared to the USDM display other than km v. miles.)

Size-wise they appear to be identical.

11742118_eeh018.jpg.36a6fa9dd98d236f62e30875e3ecff6b.jpg

100881925_eeh019.jpg.9388a622c47252e0f78bcc7e711fa7dd.jpg

253318694_eeh020.jpg.5ce2d9e4320615fcf386146d574c7343.jpg

960195368_eeh021.jpg.0b6734bf5cf9c89f48f346645fb4423d.jpg

I wish we had the set button. Older subies have it. That's the button you hit to zero out the clock to the nearest hour. Say if you wanted to set the time from a radio station's hourly tone. My clock is always off and if I set the time it goes in 1 minute increments. So if I'm 30 seconds off, no matter what I do I'm either 30 seconds early or 30 seconds late. I like to check the traffic reports which are given exactly at a certain time.

How much was it?

Does the vendor speak english?

There are a ton of them for sale on Yahoo Auctions. They usually go for around 3000 yen ($30). But, you get hit with a Rinkya auction fee ($20), a Rinkya processing fee ($15) and a shipping fee ($30) that gets you right around $95 for a cubby you receive 2-3 months after you win your auction.

There are a ton of them for sale on Yahoo Auctions. They usually go for around 3000 yen ($30). But, you get hit with a Rinkya auction fee ($20), a Rinkya processing fee ($15) and a shipping fee ($30) that gets you right around $95 for a cubby you receive 2-3 months after you win your auction.

OUCH!

What's up with all of the fees?

the fees are probably the translation fees. rinkya probably has a contract with bablefish or google's translation service (or whoever they use) and they're getting their dinero back through fees.

kinda high but then again, they could put plastering popup ads all over the place.

3. No heat warning label inside.

So theirs doesn't get as warm or they just don't care to warrant a warning label?

4. Inside the cubby its got that fuzzy material, whereas ours is smooth.

? Mine's fuzzy. Felt material.

I have been riding with my cubby out and the trip computer plugged in. That thing is the source of the heat. Notice the metal heat strip on that thing. With the cubby being entirely open and no heat coming out of the vent (plus the computer is half hanging out of the cubby hole) that sucker gets hot whilst everything else stays cool. It's still cold up here in Canada.

SCGT - I ended up cutting up the AVO panel since Paul hasn't responded to me after questioning about the fitment issues of the cubby. I hope you do sell it.

What about right-left asymmetry? I could be wrong, but it looks like the equivalent panel in USDM cars is not absolutely square.

My bad. The JDM outer bezel/vents is asymmetrically opposite of the USDM cubby. Hence, the outer bezel/vents will not fit in a USDM Leg GT.

Archived