LegacyGT.com

Car stinks under hard accel. above 80 mph

I've had my LGT limited a few months now. I noticed the other day that under hard accel. and high speed I get a terrible burning smell. It ISN"T the clutch, I know what that smells like. It really smells like the catalytic converter. I never noticed this before, but I have never really pushed the car this hard since I was getting used to it. The first time I thought it was another car. I had to pass a WRX yesterday then he caught up and we got on the highway. I got on the highway, then accelerated up to between 80 and 90 winding out the gears (up to 6k). The burning cat. smell was horrible. I am sure it is my car. Anyone else have this problem? Also, it should be said that I live about 1 mile from work. So sometimes I make very short trips. However, in the last few weeks, I have been driving around to avoid the short trips. Also, I don't notice this smell at all when I just take off fast, or quickly downshift and pass a car. It is only on the highway under high rpms and then high speed.

Yeah, i have gotten this on and off since i got the car last august. Not really sure. Everytime i get pissed at it enough to take it in, it stops.

I think a good portion of it might be the brand / type of gas. Lately i have tried to switch it up and not get it from the station down the street where i normally do to see if it is the gas. I know that the sulfer content especially can vary significantly which would certainly cause some smell issues. Its one of those things that comes and goes for me.

I know you feelings though. There was one time a couple of months ago, i was getting onto the highway, 3rd gear, 4th gear was aweful. The more i stayed on the gas, the more smell came in. Usually its a little blast here nad there, but this was like it was pouring in. I let off the pedal and slowed down then it seemed to go away and not come back the rest of the day. So not really any good advice to give.

Actually, I forgot to mention, I was low on gas at the time. Don't know if that has somthing to do with it. I had less than a quarter. The fuel light came on about 10 minutes after racing the WRX so it was low. I'll have to pay attention to see if it does it with more gas. I don't usually drive hard when low on gas, but the WRX was asking for it. Also, it is very rare for me to let the tank get that low.

Actually, I forgot to mention, I was low on gas at the time. Don't know if that has somthing to do with it. I had less than a quarter. The fuel light came on about 10 minutes after racing the WRX so it was low. I'll have to pay attention to see if it does it with more gas. I don't usually drive hard when low on gas, but the WRX was asking for it. Also, it is very rare for me to let the tank get that low.

Yeah, i should keep an eye on that as well, maybe i am experiencing it when i am low too.

i have noticed this problem too, i have been worried about an exhaust leak of some sort or burning the turbo up a little, anybody know what it is??

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Thats the problem, i don't htink anyone knows what it is. Then again, i haven't had the dealer take a look either.

Someone in another post suggested to me that there might be a hose disconnected which feeds some exhaust gasses back into the engine for re-combustion. He said he had a similar problem on his WRX. I looked, but couldn't see anything of the sort. I am pretty sure this isn't the case.

My best guess would be that since the car runs a little rich, that excess fuel is being burned off inside the cat, releasing this smell. This in combination with a possible high sulfer content in the gas. I have tried switching gas and so far i haven't experienced this lately. Something to certainly keep an eye on. Maybe this is a normal situation, but in combination with our free flowing HVAC, it lets this air in.

Oops....a little behind this morning....thats what i meant.

No problem. :D I used to get this smell when my car was new and I'd romp on it on the freeway , but I can't say I've smelled it in quite a while.....and no I'm not driving any slower;) .

Brian

Yeah i certainly got it when the car was new. i just assumed it was due to break-in and all the protectants and stuff on new cars. For me it just seems to come and go, which makes it hard to trace. I am anxious to see if it happens again as i am sure most places have switched away from "winter" gas now.

I drove around this afternoon and yestrday and didn't get the smell at all with a full tank of gas. Don't know if that has somthing to do with it or not. What do you guys consider new? I have 2k miles on mine. I expected it to go away by now.

Archived