LegacyGT.com

little black button

lol.. Yeah, and let's not forget that I'd be standing out on the porch, with a flannel nightgown and my kerosene lantern, hollering into the darkened night.. "Who's there?"..

Gotta love those intelligent scenes, too.

Nah, I'm used to escaping grizzly bears while berry-picking; not much is frightening after that experience, believe me.

('cept spiders, but that's only logical)

Yep - experienced the bears - not being a ditz in a nightgown, trying to get murdered.. lol

I used to joke with my lady friends that if they tasted any "odd" flavour in the homemade muffins, that it was just my adrenaline.

The forested area where I'd routinely pick blueberries almost always had bears. More black bears than grizzlies, but one close-enough encounter had me running to the car. I could even see the layers of muscles rolling, and its silver-tipped fur, as he/she headed my way.

Another amazing sight was a grizzly chomping its way through a dead moose, on the side of the road. Just seeing the size of its claws and massive head.. my God, it's pretty scary, actually. (We were in our vehicle that time!).

I travelled on my friend's Harley, from Ohio, to western Canada (twice) so yeah.. been to your interesting country for a bit of adventure. Didn't make it to Florida though. I must've missed your invitation in the mail, eh?

LW, totally off-topic, but a question for you. I'm sure you've got the picture (no pun intended) that my car is really quite the beater and that I'm trying to make it last as long as possible, but have very few (if any) funds to fix and repair.

That said, my muffler is deafening now.. went over my buddy's driveway this morning and now the exhaust is awfully loud.Makes me anxious that I'll get pulled over and then be forced to spend money that I don't have or start walking. I'm not buying a "real" Subaru part, of course, but how can I find out what other muffler I can use? Some generic thing? I just need the actual muffler part.. I think of it as a canister, but that's probably because vacuums have been in my life longer than mufflers have.. lol

Not sure what to Google on this one, so am asking you instead. Any ideas, please?

Ohio's pretty nice. My dad grew up there. And Kentucky...and Tennessee...well, a lot of places haha

I had thought of moving up north at one time to a place where they have emissions testing and so I decided to get my muffler replaced. There's two options for you.

Option 1: Go to a junk yard and pull off a used muffer. Chances are they wont charge you much. It's two bolts on the back of the pipe and 3 exhaust hangers, which are made of rubber. You could do that part yourself. This would probably be much cheaper.

Option 2: Take it to a mechanic that does welding. He'll probably be much cheaper than a muffler shop. I would call around to a couple different places of course, but in my experience...cheaper. Either way, they'll find a muffler that's compatible with your car. A universal one or something. I got a pretty much stock muffler put on for $150. It was actually cheaper for him to weld one than to find one that goes off the joint 2' back from it lol.

Personally I'd suggest the junk yard first. Is your muffler all rusted out with holes in it or something?

Thank you, LW

Option 3: Coffee can and a bag of rivets. .Worked like a charm!! lol. Seriously, my buddy did that job for me this afternoon and the car sounds ten times quieter - thank goodness. His little 2-year old was calling it the Harley Car.. (her Dad just got a Sportster) Too funny.

So now I will slowly save up for a proper one. I do understand that this is a temporary fix but it's exactly what I needed in the present situation ($$). More normal stuff will be available later.

Archived