LegacyGT.com

little black button

If you have your car off and hold the button down you can shift into different gears. It's made for shifting into neutral so you dont have to have your car on. I'm assuming you're referring to the one that's directly above Park on here, right?

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1113894000/_i/6486914/1.jpg

• 1 year later...

(Gotta love the search feature in forums)

LW, my shifter won't work at all unless I use the black button. What's going on with that? I am obviously used to it but wondered if that's a sign of something on the horizon. (Maybe I don't want to know.. lol)

Yep. It's been that way since I inherited the car. I can't remember what it does when I push the shift button itself, it's been too long since I even tried it that way. Maybe hitting potholes fixes things? lol

I'll check it out and share a detailed, intensive, engineer-approved report! :)

Hmmmm. Does the button move in or does it just stick?

Inside the button should hit a little bar with an edge on it and push it down

to allow the shifter to move freely. If it's stuck you may be able to take it apart and find out what's wrong. If it's not stuck you may be able to take it apart and find out what's wrong :D

I think if it moves up and back it's a moon roof. If it just opens straight up it's a sunroof. Or something like that. I never use mine on the RS anyway.

If you dont use it you could always try running a heavy bead of some clear silicone around the edge and disable the button so you wont accidentally ruin that much. If you use it then you may just have to live with it. Although I think there's drain rails on the moonroof and they can get clogged. You may have to look it up, but if you cleared those out it may not leak anymore.

The big main one. The one below it is for manual mode. Give that a shot next time you're at a stop light. I just want to see if the button even works. You can downshift to third from drive, but you cant go lower without the button (unless you put it in manual mode, but there's no real use for that in this situation cause it wouldnt tell us anything)

Yep. That's what you'd normally do. I'm thinking that dude was right. Either way I guess it's not too big of a deal unless a killer's after you and you panic. But then again your car wouldnt start in that situation anyway so I guess it's irrelevant.

Archived