LegacyGT.com

Partial clutch engagement (pedal comes up halfway)

I would like to start a new thread to separate the partial clutch engagement issue from the stinky-clutch issues. I know a number of people have the partial engagement issue, but it's been mixed in with CDV and Clutch-Stench posts. For me the partial engagement is a serious safety concern -- but can't be replicated at will to a dealership.

Here is the detailed description of the partial engagement:

On a moderately fast start (i.e. rpm over 1k) the clutch pedal decides to come up only half way (same experience you would have if your clutch system suddenly had a hydraulic leak). The result is that the engine will just rev up (until your reflexes back off the throttle) and the car hardly moves. Once you push the pedal back in and let it out again, it returns to normal. The only remaining indication of an issue is the smell.

The clutch-stench appears wide spread. I would like to see how wide spread this intermittent partial engagement issue is to build a case to get noticed by SOA (who won't do anything if it can't be replicated by a dealership).

Please post if you have the exact symptoms described above.

Thanks,

Joe

The stinky clutch smell problem is definitley evident. I did have something similar to what you said once when trying to take off at a moderately quick clip and being higher than typical on the rpms. It was a weird experience--I thought the plates were slipping or something strange. It was only a one time deal but interesting that you've had something similar. What you're saying would make more sense.

My limp-clutch happened with the car (and weather) quite hot.

The crunching issues appear to be related to the opposite (from the original post) in that there is only a partial disengage when pedal is to the floor (as opposed to a partial engage when the pedal is let off completely).

The technical defect (e.g. thowout bearing, sticky spring, sticky shaft spines) could be the cause of both.

Joe

Archived