LegacyGT.com

DIY: LCA bushings

There are good vendors that support this site. Try infamousperformance.net and AZP Installs.

Here's another oldie, but goodie vendor:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-oem-lower-control-arm-bushings.html

I love the fact that these are listed under "Maintenance". :lol:

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Question to those that have done this. If the ball joint is so difficult to remove, how the hell do you get it back in one you finish pressing in new bushings? Also, if I have a donor set of LCAs to speed up install, do I need to undo the castle nut anyways to transfer the ball joint from original LCAs to new LCAs?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Question to those that have done this. If the ball joint is so difficult to remove, how the hell do you get it back in one you finish pressing in new bushings? Also, if I have a donor set of LCAs to speed up install, do I need to undo the castle nut anyways to transfer the ball joint from original LCAs to new LCAs?

It's so difficult to remove because the rust causes a "mechanical weld". I would avoid removing the pinch bolt all together. I would undo the castle nut and hammer a pickled fork between the ball joint and pry up and down. It'll come off..... Eventually. You can always come to my place to do it. I have a press and all the tools to do it. Shouldn't be too bad.

• Moderators
It's so difficult to remove because the rust causes a "mechanical weld". I would avoid removing the pinch bolt all together. I would undo the castle nut and hammer a pickled fork between the ball joint and pry up and down. It'll come off..... Eventually. You can always come to my place to do it. I have a press and all the tools to do it. Shouldn't be too bad.

I'm down with that. Gonna be throwing the konis on as well, figure to do it all in one swoop and get an alignment.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You need a press to replace these. You can pull the arms and have someone else swap the bushing, but if your going to do it, just wait a month and do it once.

Ya I've decided to just drop the cash on this thing once, give me some piece of mind.

Are there any symptoms while driving that indicate your LCA bushings need replacement? I've taken a look at mine, and they' def. cracking. But lately I've been having my steering feel weird going over bumps, gets all light and you can feel the bumps in the wheel. Think this might solve my problem?

I'm getting steering rack bushings as well.

Replacing both the LCA and the steering rack bushings will definitely give a more precise feel to your steering. The most common complaint with failing LCA bushings is a vague feeling to the steering response..
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fwiw, I just replaced mine today and the proper size races were in a ball joint press kit I borrowed from my local advanced auto store.

Also, I found that a wedge shaped punch to spread the pinch back apart on the strut to remove and replace the ball joint was very helpful.

• 5 months later...
I just removed my LCA today to do a bushing swap, i agree that getting the ball joint free from the arm was very frustrating... until... i used a pitman arm puller! It worked like a charm, a couple turns of the wrench and POP! the arm was free... just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone struggling with this job.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can the ball joint be removed/replaced without removing the other bolts to the bushings? I guess there would have to be enough play in the bushings, I know they allow movement of the LCA.

I'm afraid to disassemble the bolts on the damaged bushings, I feel as if they're being held together by them. Its a job for another day.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Reviving a semi old thread here. I'm up to replace my LCA bushings as well. I'm thinking of going Group N for Rear bushings from Rallispec: http://www.rallispec.com/mou_bush_rstbk3.html

Chicago potholes are a nightmare so the Poly bushings might suck. I'm running WL sway bars as well on 18", does anything else Group N make help better alignment?

I'm not tracking my car so ultimately, I'm looking for better freeway stability and control.

While my LCA's are off and I (shop) has access, should I:

- replace front bushings as well?

- replace steering bushings?

- transmission mounts?

• 5 months later...

This DIY comes up pretty prominently in the Google results, so I wanted to share what I learned.

I found a tool at Autozone that fits our front LCA rear bushing perfectly for pressing out/in. And it turns out the outer wheel bearing race from older Subaru's is the perfect size receiver for catching the pushed out bearing.

It's the Great Neck 4WD Spindle Nut Wrench ($20): http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...?checkfit=true

I had to grind off the little notches down with my angle grinder to flatten the surface of the tool. It really was the ideal fit, though.

WARNING: My Spindle Nut Wrench socket measured 59.45mm, which fit well inside the 60mm control arm hole. Another member bought a similar/identical socket and it measured 60.4mm, which is too large to be of use. I recommend you actually measure the socket in-store before buying it. At the time, I believe I brought in my new bushing to use as a comparison. I could visually tell the socket was slightly smaller.

See attached for pics. The press is the 12-ton Harbor Freight. It's a great value, and never lets me down. The last two pics are the Whiteline OE-style bushing being pressed in.

IMG_20160422_155929951.thumb.jpg.b42313983c08725f9810634eef5d5019.jpg

IMG_20160422_155936710.thumb.jpg.f5fcb4ff1e3f6f19cfe0f51911eb9431.jpg

IMG_20160422_160047770.thumb.jpg.1ab1d5bffc3a0808509cbb0cbfd6fb10.jpg

IMG_20160422_161257008.thumb.jpg.ed973b4ef7eb91db39af0bae85ac578f.jpg

IMG_20160422_161501404.thumb.jpg.128ddd1148d7fd09f9fcad7b9850137d.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This DIY comes up pretty prominently in the Google results, so I wanted to share what I learned.

I found a tool at Autozone that fits our front LCA rear bushing perfectly for pressing out/in. And it turns out the outer wheel bearing race from older Subaru's is the perfect size receiver for catching the pushed out bearing.

It's the Great Neck 4WD Spindle Nut Wrench ($20): http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...?checkfit=true

I had to grind off the little notches down with my angle grinder to flatten the surface of the tool. It really was the ideal fit...

Just purchased this socket and it is .4mm larger than the outside diameter of the lca bushing. My whiteline bushing is 60mm and the socket measures 60.39mm. I believe the ideal size is 59mm, making the socket 1.4mm too large. Not sure if the socket changed or if there is variation in tooling, but wanted to warn others before they tried this tool.

Just purchased this socket and it is .4mm larger than the outside diameter of the lca bushing. My whiteline bushing is 60mm and the socket measures 60.39mm. I believe the ideal size is 59mm, making the socket 1.4mm too large. Not sure if the socket changed or if there is variation in tooling, but wanted to warn others before they tried this tool.

Interesting. I'll bring my spindle socket and whiteline bushing to work tomorrow to measure with calipers. If I understand what you're saying, the socket wouldn't even fit inside the empty bushing hole in the control arm. Another way of saying it is that it wouldn't be able to push out the original bushing because the socket was too large.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Archived