LegacyGT.com

DIY: LCA bushings

Replaced my bushings (2006 LLB Outback) and the difference is night and day. Also changed out the ball joints while I was in there. That was a royal pain. My toe changed a bit but I gave her the 'ole DIY alignment and she drives as straight as an arrow now.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Took about 15mins a side to get the arms out including taking wheels off.. Was a sinch compared to what I was exptecting to face after reading this! Going to take my arms into the mechanic to get them to push old bushes out and new ones in.

Happy days thanks for the tips :)

your car will be on jack stands.

?? This is the part I was talking about

Then, with the car on the ground, loosen off all the bolts holding the new bushings on, then tighten them up again. This is essential for getting them sitting properly in the car.

lol. anyway. i installed avo lca's on my car, however they were already pressed into a pair of arms. so i did a direct swap while on a lift, from driving in to driving out, 30 minutes :).

needless to say, it didn't fix my phantom clunk. can't pin point it, while driving on semi flat roads i can hear a faint knock/bump/clunk, and can kind of feel it too with my feet. ball joint was fine, endlinks are fine, sway bushings are fine, strut was already replaced, top nut is tight, so f'ing :confused:

How do you suppose you'll take off the wheel and LCA with your car on ramps?

I guess I still don't get it. I thought that last step was after you had your wheels and LCA put back on... then with weight back on the wheels, you loosen everything and re-tighten. Did I misunderstand?

put the car on jacks. Take everything off, press old out and new in and put everything back on tq everything up in the air. put wheel on. put car on ground and re tq everything. Get allignment.

OK, so all the bolts you need to torque are accessible with the wheels on the ground? I guess I haven't looked.

yep but one. The front bushing will be hard to get to on the ground. But everything is right there to see. Not a hard job, just takes a little time to do it. Make sure you have a press or you know a place that has one that someone can take you there to do the pressing job. Makes it easy if you have a place in mind and open.

yep but one. The front bushing will be hard to get to on the ground. But everything is right there to see. Not a hard job, just takes a little time to do it. Make sure you have a press or you know a place that has one that someone can take you there to do the pressing job. Makes it easy if you have a place in mind and open.

OK, cool. Would any special wrench/tool help with the front bushing, since I'm already ordering tools for this job? Thanks for the help.

nope just a tq wrench on one side and socket on the other side bolt.

alright man, i appreciate the help.

I'll be taking pics for my own benefit as I go about dropping the LCAs, but if anyone wants a specific pic let me know.

• 2 months later...
alright man, i appreciate the help.

I'll be taking pics for my own benefit as I go about dropping the LCAs, but if anyone wants a specific pic let me know.

How did everything come out? i need to do mine next week?

How did everything come out? i need to do mine next week?

Took us longer than it should have, but I'm not very mechanically inclined. Had a buddy help with disassembly, that was about 2 hrs, then I went and got the new bushings pressed, then did re-assembly myself, which took 3 or 4 hrs. Getting the LCAs on with the new bushings definitely takes some persuading.

EDIT: BTW I ended up taking the castle nut off. Went back on easily enough using a jack under the LCA.

• 1 month later...

Are you guys doing both the front and rear bushings?

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-288/AVO-Front-LCA-Bushing/Detail

or

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-284/AVO-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Wondering which one would be better, can't really afford $200 on a small suspension part. Hoping to figure out which one would solve my "floaty" steering problem. Getting steering rack bushings too.

Another question, where's a good place to get the OEM rear bushings for replacement?

I've looked into aftermarket options, too expensive for me right now. Dropping money on other parts on the car, will have to wait. I've looked at a few OEM part sites, can't seem to locate the part.

Another question, where's a good place to get the OEM rear bushings for replacement?

I've looked into aftermarket options, too expensive for me right now. Dropping money on other parts on the car, will have to wait. I've looked at a few OEM part sites, can't seem to locate the part.

You need a press to replace these. You can pull the arms and have someone else swap the bushing, but if your going to do it, just wait a month and do it once.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived