LegacyGT.com

What size tire to get?

S4

Darnit all! I want my money back. I'm going to give them a call.

DM, you get on the next flight to Chicago.

I wish! Buy me some tickets! :D

Just drive on them for 20 mins or so, let them heat up and let them sit overnight. Bada bing bada boom, a heatcycle! ;)

I got my tires. Very happy with them. HUGE difference from the RE92s, perhaps slightly more road noise, but nothing unbareable. We'll see how they do this weekend. :D

Back on task - I'm not sure I understand the relative advantages/disadvantages of 225/45/17s vs. 215/45/17s. I'm planning on going with a separate set of summer and winter tires on the stock wheels for just daily spirited driving - I want quiet on the highway and a tire that corners well in the twisties. I'm thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Nokian WRs.

The better tire size would be.........because...........??

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Not that much louder, only very very slightly. My wife can't tell the difference, so that's good. :)

What difference in handling do you feel with the 225/45/17 vs 215/45/17? I am planning on going with the p-zero nero's MS after the summer (based purely on all the reviews here and on tirerack), and am debating precisely whether to get them in 215/45 or 225/45 size for the stock rims. I theorize that the 225/45 size may be a little better (i.e., more comfortable, compliant, etc.) over rough pavement because of the slightly larger/wider sidewall.

Any insight is appreciated.

Also, out of pure curiosity, why didn't you go with the Neros... being from Chitown and all? Do you plan on having dedicated snow tires?

Back on task - I'm not sure I understand the relative advantages/disadvantages of 225/45/17s vs. 215/45/17s. I'm planning on going with a separate set of summer and winter tires on the stock wheels for just daily spirited driving - I want quiet on the highway and a tire that corners well in the twisties. I'm thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Nokian WRs.

The better tire size would be.........because...........??

Depends on your rim width.. it's like having a certain size foot for a certain size shoe. Let's just say if you have a size 10 foot, you want a size 10 shoe, sure, a size 10.5 gives you more toe room, or a E-wide shoe gives you more comfort, but when it comes time to actually play basketball or volleyball with a shoe that doesnt fit your foot snuggly or with good arch support, your feet are going to slide around in the shoe....

so in respect, a 215/45 is good up to a 7.5" wide rim.. stock is 7" wide. If you were to get a 225/45 or a 225/40 (for kicks, get it? :lol: ) you should get a 7.5" or even an 8" to make sure the tire tread squares up with the rim.. the idea here is to square up the tire to make sure the tire stays flat on the road. You dont want to have the sidewalls flex too much (a little bit is ok, as it acts as part of the suspension, but too much is just nasty and creates a lot of low steering response).

Does that answer your question? I currently like to have a 7.5" minimum for a 225.. but for maximum performance, a 8" wide rim with a 225 is perfect. I have a few 225s with 7" wide rims for more comfort and driving practice (as I said, the side walls of the tires act as part of the cushion and slows down the steering input to absorb the input mistakes that can really cause some trouble on the public road).

Keefe

Keefe

What difference in handling do you feel with the 225/45/17 vs 215/45/17? I am planning on going with the p-zero nero's MS after the summer (based purely on all the reviews here and on tirerack), and am debating precisely whether to get them in 215/45 or 225/45 size for the stock rims. I theorize that the 225/45 size may be a little better (i.e., more comfortable, compliant, etc.) over rough pavement because of the slightly larger/wider sidewall.

Any insight is appreciated.

Also, out of pure curiosity, why didn't you go with the Neros... being from Chitown and all? Do you plan on having dedicated snow tires?

I'll probably get some Nero M&S as winter tires. As far as what handling difference the size made, there's no way I can tell you that. The tires are so different, I don't know what made the biggest difference. I suspect though if I would have downsized I would have felt a harsher ride, with these, I don't at all.

Depends on your rim width.. it's like having a certain size foot for a certain size shoe. Let's just say if you have a size 10 foot, you want a size 10 shoe, sure, a size 10.5 gives you more toe room, or a E-wide shoe gives you more comfort, but when it comes time to actually play basketball or volleyball with a shoe that doesnt fit your foot snuggly or with good arch support, your feet are going to slide around in the shoe....

so in respect, a 215/45 is good up to a 7.5" wide rim.. stock is 7" wide. If you were to get a 225/45 or a 225/40 (for kicks, get it? :lol: ) you should get a 7.5" or even an 8" to make sure the tire tread squares up with the rim.. the idea here is to square up the tire to make sure the tire stays flat on the road. You dont want to have the sidewalls flex too much (a little bit is ok, as it acts as part of the suspension, but too much is just nasty and creates a lot of low steering response).

Does that answer your question? I currently like to have a 7.5" minimum for a 225.. but for maximum performance, a 8" wide rim with a 225 is perfect. I have a few 225s with 7" wide rims for more comfort and driving practice (as I said, the side walls of the tires act as part of the cushion and slows down the steering input to absorb the input mistakes that can really cause some trouble on the public road).

Keefe

Keefe, I think you answered my question, but I am not sure. Because I am sticking with the stock rim (7"), you are suggesting sticking with the stock tire size (215s). To go to 225s, you would suggest going to a rim that would have a 7.5" minimum. Correct?

Relatedly, what driving characteristics differentiate the 215s vs. 225s? Just curious..

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Keefe, I think you answered my question, but I am not sure. Because I am sticking with the stock rim (7"), you are suggesting sticking with the stock tire size (215s). To go to 225s, you would suggest going to a rim that would have a 7.5" minimum. Correct?

Relatedly, what driving characteristics differentiate the 215s vs. 225s? Just curious..

well, that's the point I was making to you to make a decision to either stay with the 7" wide stock rim, or go wider with an aftermarket.

With rim width being the same width (7" for this example) the 225's will feel "delayed" and possibly sloshy. The ride comfort is slightly better, but that can vary from the actual stiffness of the sidewall construction. You can still fit a 225 on a 7" rim (as I did for my all-seasons and my autox practice tires). IMO, very little is different since each tire company makes their tires in different actual sizes, eventhough nominally they are the same size. A 225/45/17 Falken Azenis is WAY wider than say a 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. "Same" tire size as stamped on the sidewall, but when you put them side-by-side, you can visually see the difference of how one tire is wider than the other. When it comes down to it, you have to compare the ACTUAL specs of each tire. You will also find out that 225/45/17 is way more common and a whole lot more in tire choices in brands and types.

If you are not a performance driver like I am, you wont notice that huge of a difference from a 215 to a 225 on a 7".. most you will feel is slower steering response and possibly less road feedback due to the sidewalls flexing under all the physical changes. But if you are really into canyon carving, get a new set of rims with at least 7.5" wide on a 225 wide tire. There will be a less of a chance for the tire to rollover and you'll get more steering feedback.

Keefe

Keefe

Dang you Keefe! Now that you describe it, I do feel that delay. It's very predictable with these tires, but I'd like it to be a bit crisper. So, 17x7.5 and I'll have a bit more response?

Now why exactly is that? The sidewalls are the same height...Is it because the further they're pulled out, they less lateral travel the tire can have?

Dang you Keefe! Now that you describe it, I do feel that delay. It's very predictable with these tires, but I'd like it to be a bit crisper. So, 17x7.5 and I'll have a bit more response?

Now why exactly is that? The sidewalls are the same height...Is it because the further they're pulled out, they less lateral travel the tire can have?

as from my analogy from before, try wearing just a slightly larger shoe than what you normally wear. You'll feel that delay because it takes awhile for your "foot" to get in contact with a structurally-sound part of the shoe to follow you. Same goes for a rim, if you get the tire to fit more snug on the rim, you'll have more structural-support for the tire to follow with the rim.

I have gone as far as 225 wide with an 8" rim.. talk about stiff.. it felt like I was driving on 19" rims (8" wide + 225 Falkens + 44 psi HOT = stiff).

Keefe

Keefe

Does a 235/40 tire mate well with a 17x7.5 or 8 rim? It would be the best size to keep the speedo accurate, only 5mm diff from stock.

How is everyone riding on Falken RT-615's liking them? Are they as good as the Falken marketing makes them out to be?

Thanks.

Does a 235/40 tire mate well with a 17x7.5 or 8 rim? It would be the best size to keep the speedo accurate, only 5mm diff from stock.

How is everyone riding on Falken RT-615's liking them? Are they as good as the Falken marketing makes them out to be?

Thanks.

Again, it's all dependant on the tire and the rim width. As far as RT615s go - Keefe and I have decided he don't liek thr 235 size...too odd, makes the overall diameter too large and it's not that much of a width increase...

As for the RT-615s....can't say enough about em...:cool:

I have gone as far as 225 wide with an 8" rim.. talk about stiff.. it felt like I was driving on 19" rims (8" wide + 225 Falkens + 44 psi HOT = stiff).

It's really not that stiff IMO...the 225/40/18 RT-615s don't feel too harsh at all....passengers don't even notice...

Oh, and !S4, quit being a wuss, don't go 17x7.5, go 18x8....:D

It's really not that stiff IMO...the 225/40/18 RT-615s don't feel too harsh at all....passengers don't even notice...

Oh, and !S4, quit being a wuss, don't go 17x7.5, go 18x8....:D

Okay. I'll wait till the RT-615s are gone, then go bigger. :) 20x10!!!

Archived