LegacyGT.com

Legacy gt or Outback xt

cmlaw30

I'm looking for some inside info other than what's found in the litature and magazine articles. here's my problem, I like the fact that the gt has the bigger brake system which is very important to me but the outback has the better ground clearance due to it's model design so unless the 06 outback is going to get different brakes i'll have to pick between brakes and suspension. Now here's my question, which change would be more cost affective and reliable, putting the gt brakes on the outback

[are the ABS and the EBD parts and programs the same so it's rotors and calibers] or put the struts on the gt [would it really just be struts and could the car be reprogramed for the larger tire size for correct speed]. I know this seems crazy but I have to know if it is possible before I decide between them and later regret my choice. Thank you to anybody that can help.

It would definitely be easier to upgrade brakes on the OB than it would to raise (?!?!?!) the LGT. Personally, I didn't consider the OB because of that higher ground clearance... I like the lower stance of the Legacy. I also live where snow is something you see on TV. In Texas most people with jacked-up SUVs don't get any farther offroad than the back part of the parking lot at the mall, so all that ground clearance is wasted. I do realize that in places that really have winter, it can be useful even on the road.

DKB

The clearance is a middle of the road issue because I live in PA and get only a few storms a year but I drive unimproved road all the time for camping and the Wellsboro pro-rally race every June. Also I could just do a aftermarket brake setup and be done with the whole thing but like the fact of using OEM parts for easy replacement. Right now I'm driving a 04 Impreza rs so ride height is the same but the gt runs low profile tires which can get taken out easily on stone roads and potholes, down sizing rims to 16's is not option because of rotor size.

If I had it to do all over again, I would get the OBXT instead of the GT wagon. And yes, I'd get black, and drive myself insane keeping it clean. The OB is a fine-looking, rugged beast of a car. The GT brake setup should be an easy install, and if you need a little better handling, the 20mm JDM bar sold for the GT wagon bolts right up.

OBXT for me, just not in two-tone.

Kevin

get the outback XT, then do the Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit upgrade for around $3000. there are other options out there, but if you are gonna upgrade, UPGRADE at a reasonable cost for a big brake kit. They fit under the OEM 17" rims as well. I am doing that either this fall or next spring.

I went OBXT over LGT due to looks of the car. I think the LGT is too pointy for my tastes, I like more bulky and thicker styled cars. I am lowering my car with coilovers to improve handling as the OB is much looser than the LGT...springs, sways, etc. So, drive both, and see what you like the most, the suspension may be too soft for you in the OBXT, considering you want the bigger LGT brakes....

Guest *Jedimaster*
get the outback XT, then do the Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit upgrade for around $3000. there are other options out there, but if you are gonna upgrade, UPGRADE at a reasonable cost for a big brake kit. They fit under the OEM 17" rims as well. I am doing that either this fall or next spring.

I went OBXT over LGT due to looks of the car. I think the LGT is too pointy for my tastes, I like more bulky and thicker styled cars. I am lowering my car with coilovers to improve handling as the OB is much looser than the LGT...springs, sways, etc. So, drive both, and see what you like the most, the suspension may be too soft for you in the OBXT, considering you want the bigger LGT brakes....

Ditto^^^

I went for the XT over the GT due to the better looks.

I went OBXT because I need the clearance. I coach skiing and regularly drive in 12+ inches of snow and through rutted fields. I'll eventually do the breaks, though they're not too bad to start with. Drove the LGT and actually liked the OBXT suspension feel quite a bit more. Didn't notice any break difference.

I went with the OB because of the Pontiac-inspired body cladding. :) I don't find the stock suspension all that confidence inspiring during high speed spirited cornering. I'd like to add the 20mm JDM sway to the back and 18" wheels with summer tires. I wonder if I'd be satisfied with the two changes or will I also need to install a set of coilovers. I'm open to dropping the ride height and am anxiously waiting to see OCIndigo's suspension setup.

Personally I think the suspension needs to be addressed before adding any more power with an AP.

I'm open to dropping the ride height and am anxiously waiting to see O3Indigo's suspension setup.

shucks:redface: , thanks. I plan on getting some stuff installed this week, sway bars are still being powder coated to the color I want, but they should be ready this week. I will hopefully get an alignment next week and then get it out for some nice shots to do a comparison. I will be giving a full review of the coilovers as well, so watch out for that.

Besides ground clearance over snow and dirt roads, I also love that my doors don't rub on curbs when I get out of the car, I don't worry about my front end rubbing on steep driveways and the higher profile tires and taller suspension eats up pot-holes. For me that is more important than ultimate handling/braking, and the brakes should be easy to upgrade. Up to this point, I haven't felt the need to upgrade the brakes, but might do the rear swaybar.

FWIW, and if you do a search you will find, that there are several (many) of us with LGTs that do not care for the brakes. I have not driven an OB and so I cannot compare the brakes of the two. I will say that, despite the specifications (size and all that stuff), there is alot of pedal travel and they do not have the inital bite some (many) of us would prefer. Everyone seems to agree that based on the specifications, the LGT brakes are superior to those of the WRX. I prefer the brakes of the WRX.

So, if brakes are really important to you, drive both the LGT and OB and test the brakes of each throughly. Don't base your decision on specifications alone.

And if you are into car mag tests, check out 60-0 or 70-0 stopping distances of each vehicle. To be fair, many attribute the poor performance of the LGT in these tests to tires not brakes.

But, I'll probably be replacing both tires and brakes on my LGT. Again, FWIW.

Good luck in your decision.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

You are absolutely correct about specs emlivens. I am a fan of firm to heavy pedal feel w/ limited travel so if the gt's soft w/ alot of travel it will make no difference. I have noticed that my rs brakes also have alot of travel and a fair amount fade when heated. I've bled them a few times w/ only a minor change for the first 50 miles or so. I have planned to change the pads,lines and fluid w/ the Cobbs brake system but decided not to since I'm going to get the gt or the xt. Well any other input from either gt or xt owners about the brakes and handling is appreciated.

This link gives you an idea of price for upgrading to LGT front and rear brakes (see items 6 and 7). This is a recommended upgrade for 04+ WRX owners, but you should be able to swap to the OBXT.

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/04wrx-braking.html

Of course if you can find an LGT owner selling his used, that would be a better deal.

Thanks boris. Anybody got the acessPORT on a auto? How much did it help? I am a manual person but most likely will be getting the auto so the wife can finally drive my car if needed,part of the reason for manuals all these years! If I am going to drive a wagon I don't want to be taken by every sport sedan. I'm not out to beat a STI but don't want my arse handed to me at every light either.

Is the 20mm Rear Sway Bar a direct bolt on for the XT or are there any modifications that need to be made? I decided on the XT because I live in New England and wanted to be able to get around in deep snow. I am considering going to 18" rims but with the larger diameter tires the sidewall of my 18's would be 110.25 mm compared with the 96.75 mm sidewalls of the stock GT tires.

Well I went and drove the LGT sedan MT and the OBXT AT and at least decided is definitely going to be the MT whichever platform I pick [w/ the short throw kit]. Here are 2 cars that really make want to get out of bed in the morning and drive to work!!!! Now if I could stop acting like a nancy and pick!!!!

Has anyone timed the OBXT5MT on 0-60 and 1/4 runs? I haven't found any info yet!

FWIW, and if you do a search you will find, that there are several (many) of us with LGTs that do not care for the brakes. I have not driven an OB and so I cannot compare the brakes of the two. I will say that, despite the specifications (size and all that stuff), there is alot of pedal travel and they do not have the inital bite some (many) of us would prefer. Everyone seems to agree that based on the specifications, the LGT brakes are superior to those of the WRX. I prefer the brakes of the WRX.

So, if brakes are really important to you, drive both the LGT and OB and test the brakes of each throughly. Don't base your decision on specifications alone.

And if you are into car mag tests, check out 60-0 or 70-0 stopping distances of each vehicle. To be fair, many attribute the poor performance of the LGT in these tests to tires not brakes.

But, I'll probably be replacing both tires and brakes on my LGT. Again, FWIW.

Good luck in your decision.

It's also worth noting that some of us, specifications notwithstanding, prefer the feel and performance of the LGT's brakes to the WRX's, as well. Someone over at NASIOC (granted, it was on a WRX) tested stock LGT brakes against various pimped-out brake combos on WRXes, and the LGT ruled the roost.

Kevin

Archived