LegacyGT.com

All-in-One Key

I am in the process of making my decision to switch to purchase a Subaru LGT and sell my Audi A4 1.8T. The one thing I will miss with my Audi is the all-in-one key/alarm combo. I have seen posts of a Subaru key combo on subdriven.com, but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were as to why it hasn't appeared Stateside.

011.jpg.189c2580791e4f246fea9b7dadaa553f.jpg

I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it would be the same cost as having a key and a remote if they deceided to put them both together. There has to be a way to get one of those and somehow cut it and program it to the U.S. version vehicles.

My thoughts- I'd love somethign like that!!!

To make it even sweeter - include one HomeLink button on the key. I have a gated parking lot and have a huge transmitter thats used for both the pedestrian and car in/out gates. I can eliminate its use with the HomeLink mirror/visor, but still need it to get in the lot. This would be perfect!!!

Lets do it! Bring it to us!

Oh, thoughts on why it isn't here - for the same reason we don't have th HIDs, nav, STi parts, splats, etc... some corporate big wig decided that it wouldn't be cost effective or that there wasn't a market for it here.

Lexus has a chip in the key and the controls. I'm sure it can be done if someone at Subaru would just do it.

VW and Audi switchblade keys are used for cars with immobilizers as well. I did like the one-piece key on my GTI... esp. the folding feature of it, but the cute key to a 30k Audi won't get me nearly as much kick as the clunky long key and giant remote do in my LGT.

DKB

I am pretty sure that is the Key we get in Australia (sorry mine is still in japan being built.)

From what I read here, you don't get an all in one key. That sucks.

I guess I could see if they are a spare part here and hence can be ordered....?

I too like the switch blade key in the VW. EXCEPT, 2 weeks ago when I took my wifes Jetta to work. the damn key went dead so when I went to start the car it immobilized itself. I was stuck at work and had to call a buddy to come get me. luckily my wifes key worked, but if it died too, would had to have the car towed.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

My only concern is the size of the all-in-one key. My buddy has a Saab 9-5 with a all-in-one key remote......the thing is huge. You try and put it in your front pocket like one does with keys normally, and next thing you know, women are all over you due to the bulge ;) . No, but seriously, it is of a size and shape such that having it in your pocket is uncomforatable. At least with a seperate key and remote, there's a flexibility there that makes it easier to live with when in your pocket.

My only concern is the size of the all-in-one key. My buddy has a Saab 9-5 with a all-in-one key remote......the thing is huge. You try and put it in your front pocket like one does with keys normally, and next thing you know, women are all over you due to the bulge ;) . No, but seriously, it is of a size and shape such that having it in your pocket is uncomforatable. At least with a seperate key and remote, there's a flexibility there that makes it easier to live with when in your pocket.

Well, they could take the VW approach and use a rectangular fob with pop out key. See, for me, I'd rather have one slightly larget key than two large (and our key/fob is HUGE) things.

And again, I'll push for the HomeLink on the fob - come on - how cool would that be - no other manufacturer has it yet! Innovate darn it!

• 1 month later...
I was told it was because of battery life...they made it separate to use a bigger battery...i think lithium would solve that problem...I don't like a key combo if it's super chunky the VW combo and i wouldn't get along very well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was told it was because of battery life...they made it separate to use a bigger battery...i think lithium would solve that problem...I don't like a key combo if it's super chunky the VW combo and i wouldn't get along very well.

Something like the Accord or Lexus is nice.

I am in the process of making my decision to switch to purchase a Subaru LGT and sell my Audi A4 1.8T. The one thing I will miss with my Audi is the all-in-one key/alarm combo. I have seen posts of a Subaru key combo on subdriven.com, but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were as to why it hasn't appeared Stateside.

Who knows? The usual explanation is fear of US lawsuits.

Archived