LegacyGT.com

Filling gas to the max

I've never gotten a CEL but when the nozzle automatically clicks off at the pump, that's it, the tank is full. The first time I filled my car up it ran over trying to put another 0.25 in. When the pump stops I quit pumping. I wonder what in the Subaru design causes that. I've never had a car that you couldn't put another buck or two in.

Ok, this time I did not even put gas and I got the CEL and cruise control blinking light. I just pop up again.

Does anyone know why I get this cel light and cruise control go on? The dealer don't know why.

At this time, both lights are on. This is the third time this as happend to me. Check on page one on this thread to see what I posted before.

Someone please help or tell me what to ask the dealer to look at.

What CEL code was it? If the dealer didn't check it, go to AutoZone and they can pull the CEL code for you (for free) then look it up online.

What CEL code was it? If the dealer didn't check it, go to AutoZone and they can pull the CEL code for you (for free) then look it up online.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll go there and check. I don't know the code.

BTW, it went back off today. When it does go on again, I will go to autozone.

I may be wrong but I think the code is still stored in memory, at least for a while, so you don't have to wait for another occurrence before you try and figure out what's going on.

i dont know about the lgt's but when i had my '01 Ranger..i filled up passed the auto stop and it tripped the CEL. i took it to the dealership b/c i didnt know about auto zone pulling codes back then. IIRC, it was something about overfilling causes some electronic glitches in the fuel pump and fuel sending unit. i only rounded up a few cents to the next whole cent. so if the lgt is as sensative as the ranger, 6 cents will do it for sure.

Kenda

i dont know about the lgt's but when i had my '01 Ranger..i filled up passed the auto stop and it tripped the CEL. i took it to the dealership b/c i didnt know about auto zone pulling codes back then. IIRC, it was something about overfilling causes some electronic glitches in the fuel pump and fuel sending unit. i only rounded up a few cents to the next whole cent. so if the lgt is as sensative as the ranger, 6 cents will do it for sure.

Kenda

That is odd. I have a 2000 ranger and run it up .25-.50 on every fill up to get to the nearest quarter or dollar. I have had NO problems whatsoever, no codes, no nothing.

The miata is the one throwing codes on the catalyst efficiency after a bout of bad running with a compromized coil pack.

Getting the Ranger to drink the gas a little slower is the problem... if an LGT gets 20mpg, it will be an improvement over the 14-17 that the ranger gets.

BTW, I was under the impression that the Legacy had a code reader built in, if one plugged in some green plug under the dash, the dash display would display current codes... is that not the case?

if it is, then AutoZone/O'Reilly or whichever parts place may be a moot point for a code reader.

That is odd. I have a 2000 ranger and run it up .25-.50 on every fill up to get to the nearest quarter or dollar. I have had NO problems whatsoever, no codes, no nothing.

The miata is the one throwing codes on the catalyst efficiency after a bout of bad running with a compromized coil pack.

Getting the Ranger to drink the gas a little slower is the problem... if an LGT gets 20mpg, it will be an improvement over the 14-17 that the ranger gets.

BTW, I was under the impression that the Legacy had a code reader built in, if one plugged in some green plug under the dash, the dash display would display current codes... is that not the case?

if it is, then AutoZone/O'Reilly or whichever parts place may be a moot point for a code reader.

could have just been my lemon of a truck!!!

Kenda

I believe you're correct. I remember seeing a picture of someone on here (OCDetails?) that had a picture of the display under the speedo displaying a code, and him having those green plugs pluged together under the dash on the pass side.

Archived