LegacyGT.com

Filling gas to the max

I filled my tank until it stoped by itself. It was $34.94, so I want to make it even. It clicked on me about 4 times before it finally reached $35.00.

When filling it to the max, does it affect the car in anyways? Will the CEL go on?

After an hour, I got the CEL and blinking cruise control light go on and stayed on. Check out this Thread to see what kind of problem I have had before. The first time I think I had just filled it up too. I don't really remember.

So, has anyone else had this problem or any problem when filling your gas tank to the max?

As far as I know you shouldn't have any problems filling it all the way to the cap. You have to be careful with diesel because it expands (especially when you have 100 gallons in a tank - the new privates always mess this one up), but gasoline shouldn't be a problem, especially when you drive some of it off right away.

I filled my tank until it stoped by itself. It was $34.94, so I want to make it even. It clicked on me about 4 times before it finally reached $35.00.

When filling it to the max, does it affect the car in anyways? Will the CEL go on?

After an hour, I got the CEL and blinking cruise control light go on and stayed on. Check out this Thread to see what kind of problem I have had before. The first time I think I had just filled it up too. I don't really remember.

So, has anyone else had this problem or any problem when filling your gas tank to the max?

I doubt that six cents worth of gas would do much, but overfilling can screw up the vapor recovery system.

To learn more about your vapor recovery system visit:

http://www.endwrench.com/current/spring04pdfs/EvapEmission.pdf

Car is not running when refueling right? On my trips down to Florida I routinely fill my minivan a good 3-4 dollars beyond the autostop and never had a problem. 6 cents is laughable and should not cause any issues at all.

Make sure you screw the cap on tight....That can throw a CEL

I believe there is a seperate sign for loose or not on cap which is integrated with the fuel sign. When its open there will be an arrow next to the icon of the gas tank

Apparently the autostop for the pump nearly fills the tank to the mouth. I find myself filling another 25-50 cents worth of gas (to bring it to an even dollar amount: 34.65 to 35) and spilling it all over.

Unlike the minivan which can take another 1-2 gallons after the autostop. But they also have 25 gallon tanks...

I've found, unlike on my previous vehicles, that the tank is pretty much full by the time the auto shut off is triggered. One of the first times I filled the tank on the Legacy I did my usual top-off (where I could usually get another gallon or two in there) and kept squeezing the handle. I ended up getting gasoline spilling all down the fender, on the tire, on my hand, on my shoes. So now, when it clicks off I only squeeze out maybe an additional tenth of a gallon.

you guys are crazy. i think every gas station and every car company says "don't overfill". you're screwing with the vapor recovery system. why would you do something like that? just to get to an even dollar amount? okay the dude who added 6 cents shouldn't be too worried. but the dude who added 3-4 dollars ... you're crazy.

I don't know how anyone could add 3-4 dollars after the first click. I can't get more that a few cents worth in after the first click. First car I've had that behaves this way, every other car I've owned I could get in another gallon or so after the first click.

IIRC, it says in the owner's manual that not fully tightening the cap can cause a CEL, nothing about a CEL if overfilling, or any other warning light other than a CEL.

The problem with overfilling the gas tank is that the Onboard Vapor Recovery system can't work since there is no air gap at the top of the tank. If your ECU decides to run a fuel system pressure test soon after you fill up (if the conditions are right) then you can get a CEL if it doesn't pass. (same with a loose/leaky gas cap). However, the car won't blow up or anything.

The point is, don't do it, it's not worth the hassle.

but the dude who added 3-4 dollars ... you're crazy.

I don't know how anyone could add 3-4 dollars after the first click. I can't get more that a few cents worth in after the first click

Guys reread my post ,I stated In my minivan I do this...............

The problem with overfilling the gas tank is that the Onboard Vapor Recovery system can't work since there is no air gap at the top of the tank. If your ECU decides to run a fuel system pressure test soon after you fill up (if the conditions are right) then you can get a CEL if it doesn't pass. (same with a loose/leaky gas cap). However, the car won't blow up or anything.

Words spoken very wisely. Some cars are more sensative than others and climates can play a big part in this. WInter is not as big of a deal as spring/summer/fall are with drastic temp changes.

You can round to the nearest nickel or sime safely, the rest can be troublesome to say the least.

I think what eamiller wrote could be my problem. But the blinking cruise control light, whats that all about?

Yeah I went six cents over and already spilled a little bit on the fender. Once it auto stops, STOP.

About the guy that went 3 to 4 dollars over, he went over in his van not his lgt.

The Cruise light flashing is apparently something that Subaru programmed into the ECU to keep the system from activating during an active CEL code (i.e. not just stored in history). My guess is that since the throttle is of the "by-wire" nature, the cruise is deactivated for your safety. My guess is that they lawyers had their hand in it (liability and all that). I'll have to ask our powertrain software engineers at work who code engine ECUs all day why they would for sure..

The Legacy is the first car I've known to be truly full when the auto stop on the pump is triggered. I have had the same experiance as the previous posters. There's virtually no room for additional fuel once the auto stop kicks in. Topping off with even a few cents worth of gas (less than it used to be) ends up overflowing the tank.

Car is not running when refueling right? On my trips down to Florida I routinely fill my minivan a good 3-4 dollars beyond the autostop and never had a problem. 6 cents is laughable and should not cause any issues at all.

I dare you to say that back in 1960s.. :lol:

Keefe

Keefe

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this time I did not even put gas and I got the CEL and cruise control blinking light. I just pop up again.

Does anyone know why I get this cel light and cruise control go on? The dealer don't know why.

At this time, both lights are on. This is the third time this as happend to me. Check on page one on this thread to see what I posted before.

Someone please help or tell me what to ask the dealer to look at.

Guys,

IIRC, the manual says *not* to add more after the nozzle clicks off. I couldn't find it in the online version, but I am certain it is in the real manual.

6 cents certainly shouldn't bother it tho.

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Archived