LegacyGT.com

NEW GREDDY SP2 Exhaust Installed!!!

harmanst

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: have had this exhaust for over a month now. I'm an idiot! When I installed the first time, the connection to the stock downpipe had a composite "donut" I assume was meant to be a flexible coupling. I bolted the greddy system up with that donut in place, never really felt good about it. I took it out this weekend, bolted the flanges and gasket up, and boy what a difference a properly sealed exhaust system can make!!! I was getting alot of drone at highway speeds, but now NO MORE!!!

I also physically "adjusted" the tip angle of the drivers side muffler to match the passenger side. Now the tip angles look alot closer to each other. This required a 12' long 1 1/2" pipe and a 7000 lb. truck to bend the Greddy tip extension. I am much happier withthe systems now. Just like a true Greddy, Deep rich sound, very acceptable on the highway...

Doh! Sorry about left-clicking....my finger made a mistake! :(

In any case.....

That sounds wonderful! :) I actually have the SP on my old TSi right now, and although it lacks that distinctive boxer burble, it's got a very similar, very deep tone. Lots of bass. At idle, it actually is enough to vibrate the wood paneling above my apartment's garage space, and I can hear/feel the vibration clear across 40+ ft. of open garage floor and through two concrete walls.

Although considered mellow and not loud at all by most import-tuner standards, I would like to caution anyone looking to buy this system for it's supposedly "mellow" tone in that if your significant-other doesn't like bass, you should stay well away from it.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

With any exhaust, it will quiet down as you put a few more miles on it. Where is the worst drone at?

Any aftermarket exhaust I have done has always gotten LOUDER over the period of a week or two of daily driving. Proven true on about 5 cars all with different mufflers.

Harmanst, could you do a pic of this "donnut thingy" your refering to. I'm thinking of ordering this exhaust and would like to know more about the instal seeing how there are no printed instructions. I was on the fence with this choice until I saw your pics. I too have a wagon and think the tips look great in those giant cutouts. Is there a part number for the wagon? Hopupracing is a little vague on there website.

Thanks

Although considered mellow and not loud at all by most import-tuner standards, I would like to caution anyone looking to buy this system for it's supposedly "mellow" tone in that if your significant-other doesn't like bass, you should stay well away from it.

-A

what system would you suggest for the 05 Legacy Gt sedan for someone who wants a better flowing exhaust but doesnt want the sound increased too much over stock???

Harmanst, could you do a pic of this "donnut thingy" your refering to. I'm thinking of ordering this exhaust and would like to know more about the instal seeing how there are no printed instructions. I was on the fence with this choice until I saw your pics. I too have a wagon and think the tips look great in those giant cutouts. Is there a part number for the wagon? Hopupracing is a little vague on there website.

Thanks

I'll try to snap a photo of the metallic donut. It's really just a high temperature gasket which allowed the OEM exhaust system to flex a little. It cannot be used with the Greddy due to the design of their mounting flange. It is very easy to pry off the OEM downpipe with a flat head screwdriver. Like others have mentioned, installing a cat-back system is very easy. Just be sure you have a solid set of axle stands, or more preferably a lift! Essentially remove the OEM system from the last cat (downpipe).

Should you buy this system I would be very interested to see photos of your muffler tips as they rest on a flat surface. Out of the box, my driver side muffler tip was about 1 inch lower than the other side. I am curious if they are welded at different angles from each other. I have my tips better aligned now after a few "sessions" under the car, and use of some brute force.

Also, beware this system produces some VERY deep bass at lower RPMS (800-2000). I notice it gets quieter once warmed-up.

As far as a part #, mine is: 10167010 "SP II Exhaust System 2004-On Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon BP5"

Hope this helps...

consider the Borla, which is at a similar price. hopefully prodrive will be coming to the market with an exhaust soon as well.

what system would you suggest for the 05 Legacy Gt sedan for someone who wants a better flowing exhaust but doesnt want the sound increased too much over stock???
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

whoopwhoop - Unfortunately, that's something I'm actively trying to figure out with the LGT..... :( My wifey's ears are rather acute, and it's going to be a battle for me, too. My caution statement was simply meant as a "+1"-type post, aside from letting others know that what's considered "mellow" by many of us import-tuners may not truly be reflective of "quiet" by the general population.

I'm searching for sound-clips of the Borla specifically as applied to our LGTs, per sandwood's suggestion. :)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

there's a borla soundclip here:

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinhamel/Legacy_GT/iMovieTheater22.html

question remains about how loud any of these exhausts are once you replace the uppipe and downpipes. it's gonna be tough to pass the wife test. I have my fingers crossed that the bosal/spt and prodrive exhausts will be relatively quiet.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Thanks bruddah! ;)

My speakers at work leave much to be desired, but so far, I think those are the softest-toned ones I've heard.

Whether or not, like you said, UP/DP changes will cause acoustic differences (undoubtedly) and will cause it to become louder would definitely not be something I'd be looking forward to finding out -after- purchasing the undoubtedly pricy Borlas. :(

I, too, hope that the Bosal single-tip/SPT retrofit will be very quiet. It was suggested by a well-known and well-respected member of my local Scooby enthusiast Forum that I should maybe also look in to getting take-off STi (granted, I'd need two) canisters. It's been the longest time since I've heard a stock STi's exhaust, but this is something I think I'd be willing to follow-up on, given that a good friend of mine has some great skills with his welder. :)

Thanks again,

-A

I just ordered from hopupracing.com, couldnt argue with the price, hope I get more than what I paid for.

Odd thing is is all this talk about the Greddy deing to loud was discounted by the dude at hopup, he said it was no louder than stock and if I want loud I should get the Evo, which they have in stock. I stuck with the Greddy.

Scatman...FYI both exhaust you have mentioned are by Greddy, The SP2 (which you ordered) and the EVO2...

Just thought i'd throw that out there...

Congrats on your purchase...:)

~Sucka-Duck~

• 2 weeks later...

Archived