LegacyGT.com

NEW GREDDY SP2 Exhaust Installed!!!

harmanst

I posted this message as a reply to a Greddy SP2 Thread, but thought that others probably wanted to get this information without having to search for it?

I ordered the Greddy SP2 for my 2005 Legacy GT Wagon last Monday, the system arrived Friday! Of course I was very excited to install the system! I managed to remove the old and install the new in about an hour and a half. The kit includes all the hardware you need, bolts, gaskets, but NO instructions.

All in all I like the look, everything fit well, although I noticed as I was installing the system that the right and left exhaust tips are at slightly different angles from each other, maybe off by about 2 degrees. On the car though, the casual observer would likely not notice, but I do. There are no signs of damage which would cause a 3" diameter weld to bend, so I concluded they were purposly welded this way, or I got a Lemon? I sent a message off the Greddy with photos and my concern.

The sound of the system is quite gnarly! I will try to record a sound byte when I can. You will need a full range stereo system to play back this sound byte for these mufflers produce a good amount of DEEP bass. Around town driving with the new system is pretty loud, and having a wagon doesn't help much because it tends to amplify sounds eminating from the rear of the car. On the highway it is noticable, but certainly better. The system forces you to drive slower keeping the drone in a quiet spot at about 69-70 mph.

Also, this system is intended only for WAGONS! Says so right on the box. The tips are extended to reach out just beyond the bumper.

Here are links to a couple photos:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1115447951984_New_Exhaust_sml.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1113215401453_Parts.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1112347283262_Before_After.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1112319022795_Subaru_Greddy_NEW.jpg

Enjoy!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The drone is in the 2500-3200 RPM range. I noticed this system does not use a center resonator, although the AVO system (which looks similar) includes the resonator. I installed a Supersprint system on my VW GTI VR6. I had a horrible drone in that RPM range before I installed the center resonator. I agree, the last Greddy SP system I owned was much louder when new, and eventually settled to a nice pleasing tone, with little drone. Although that system also used a center resonator. Maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing?

Nice job - didn't take long for someone to try the SP2 as I don't think it's been out for our cars very long. Keep us updated about the sound. I was thinking of this exhaust or an EVO2, which looks maybe too aggressive. They are some of the more affordable catback options off the shelf - a little less than the Borla IIRC.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Yes, you're right. I purchased the system from Hopup Racing, the link you specified. They are selling for $719.00 shipped! I thought that was a relatively good deal. I expected not to see anything for a few weeks, but they had these in stock.

Also, the tips, and mufflers are MUCH larger than Borla. The Tips are roughly 4" in diameter. The entire system is T-304 SS, with highly polished mufflers and tips.

Yes, they are sounding better after some use. They are becoming more refined sounding, and less like a Mack truck (okay not really!). The droning is becoming more controlled, so only time will tell.

I purchased Greddy based on my prior experience with their previous SP Sport system I had on my Probe GT, and for some time on my VW GTI (modified to fit of course). I finally took the muffler out of service with 289,000 miles on it (The internals rusted away).

Those fart cannons look a lil ricey IMO, two 3 inch tips on a 4 banger? Com'n man. Hopefully the sound is what you wanted. To each his own I guess, the stock tips look perfect imo, maybe you could get an exhaust shop to weld the stockers to the new muffs.

I think Black99RTrc was a little harsh with his comment, but I think if I were to get an exhaust system I would probably go with smaller tips as well possibly dual tip though.

But I have to say they aren't as big as I would imagine and I love the look of polish steel...mmmmmm. The tips fill out the gap that subaru made for the exhaust very nicely I think. Plus I'd definately take it for the price if I were making money...

Those fart cannons look a lil ricey IMO, two 3 inch tips on a 4 banger?

Looking at the pictures I don't think it looks ricey at all. I doubt anyone hates fart cans more than me, but I think your pipes look similar to what comes on the 350Z. At least that's what it looks like on my tiny laptop.

Here are some more photos:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1114436769009_Greddy_TIP_SML.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1112854827835_Legacy_Far_SML.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3818905/1114802942406_Legacy_Rear_SML.jpg

Much better sound now, not as much drone, getting quieter with use. Pretty Slick!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to post an MP3 recording to this forum...

I did not come here to "troll" I happen to know a decent about about forced induction, and performance in general. I joined this board to learn more about a car my friend bought, and I happen to like alot, his 05 gt2.5.

As far as my comment about the exhaust, I call em like I see em, 8 inch total diameter exhaust tips on a 2.5L car is rice. I had originally guessed that they were only 3, but other posters said they are 4 which is even worse. I wil admit the stock tips are a lil on the small side for the bumper openings. Take a happy medium with like 2.75, 3 or 3.25, most people would have to agree that dual 4 inch is really pushing it.

I think they look fine, and certainly sound the part. At least Greddy put some effort into a smooth transition from a 2.5" dia. pipe to their final 4" tip diameter. These are their signature, what Greddy has been known for since the early 1990's when the first SP Sport system was introduced. Yeah I agree, the rice'rs tarnished the image of this product. Maybe the Dakota could use a pair of 5" tips attached to 3.5" free flowing mufflers! That would let the 5.9L breathe!

BTW, Greddy Sent me a reply to my concerns about tip alignment and the absence of a center resonator:

"Thanks for your feed back on GReddy Products

I have reviewed your picture and it looks like all you need to do is adjust the fitment. Dual muffler systems are difficult to line up properly, if you do not follow these steps.

1) loosen up all of the flanges. 2) have someone hold each muffler tip in the correct position (so they match up) 3) then begin to tighten the flanges (starting from the catalytic converter and working your way back to the mufflers.

As for the pre-mufflers, they are not included on this system, during test the our engineers did not see a need for them, but we will monitor this situation, and if we see there is a problem we will look into it. Thank you again for your email."

I'll have to fiddle with the alignment of each muffler, as for the drone, I am noticing it get softer with more miles on the system...

4" does sound awfully large, probably bigger than I'd get for myself, but again, it doesn't look too big in the pictures. I think it looks pretty sharp. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it is a wagon. Probably wouldn't look as good on the sedan. Wagons aren't as susceptible to looking "ricey".

Archived