LegacyGT.com

Our Clutch Is Gonna Kill People!

Guest turboman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hadn't had any clutch problems untill recently and I used to be very sceptical reading your guys posts about stinky clutch and CDV issue. But one week ago in a heavy stop and go New York City traffic I got everything in one package: stink, clutch slippage and CDV beauty. I even heard mettalic clunk from my clutch (?). It took me 1 hour of highway driving after that traffic jam to bring my clutch back to normal. Now it seems to be all right. I brought my LGT to dealer and, of course, they didn't find anything wrong. I am afraid that few more NYC traffic jams will eventually kill my clutch. For the record: 13,000 miles and I have never ever abused my car.

The stinky clutch only happens if you give it to many revs, rarely it'll happen in motion too during aggressive shifts but I've only had it a very few times in traffic or going from a stop and that was because I was riding the clutch. The clutch stink really is not a problem unless you rev it 1500 everytime you get moving, something that isn't necessary to do on the car, the car is easy to get moving with just the clutch and gas at the right time. Using anymore then 1000rpm to get moving I consider to be too much unless you have to really move away from the ligth and then more revs should be used but even then with proper clutch timing the stench is minimal.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

alpinefun: Sorry you had to join the stinky clutch club so late. Welcome anyway!!!

I'm concerned you have it at 13k miles -- I was hoping this was something that would get better over time. I would also have been sceptical if I was just reading about it.

Did the clutch pedal come up all the way when you head the clunk??

Joe

Did the clutch pedal come up all the way when you head the clunk??

Honestly, I am not sure. I was scared and I panicked that I am killing my clutch because there was no way to pull my car out of the traffic jam (NYC). As I remember I did rev up with 1st gear and the car didn't want to go unless I engaged the 2nd one.

Alpinefun: I completely understand the panic -- it's hard to remember all the details when you are trying hard not to be hit by another car. I've driven in NYC for 10 years (only just moved to NJ) -- NYC driving doesn't suit the idiosyncrasies of this clutch. Gotta have a clutch that doesn’t decide to cut out on you when trying to squeeze between those yellow cabs :-)

Joe

• 1 month later...
The stinky clutch only happens if you give it to many revs, rarely it'll happen in motion too during aggressive shifts but I've only had it a very few times in traffic or going from a stop and that was because I was riding the clutch. The clutch stink really is not a problem unless you rev it 1500 everytime you get moving, something that isn't necessary to do on the car, the car is easy to get moving with just the clutch and gas at the right time. Using anymore then 1000rpm to get moving I consider to be too much unless you have to really move away from the ligth and then more revs should be used but even then with proper clutch timing the stench is minimal.

That's just not good enough for me. I bought this car thinking that, as a turbo, it would be designed to allow for high-RPM clutch engagement. I agree that turbo lag is almost nonexistant, but traditionally, turbo cars must be in the higher reaches of their revs to get any real power, between 3,500 and 6,000. My last car, a 1997 Honda Prelude Type SH, had a stock Fuji clutch that could be engaged at 6,000 RPM with no problems, and definitely no stink. I always engage the Subaru clutch at 2,000 to 3,000 RPM, but want to be able to induce a 4,500 RPM launch on a routine basis. I am very disappointed that Subaru has handicapped the Legacy to prevent me from doing this without being assaulted by a completely foul and unnecessary smell.

I am going to start going to the dealer once a week, complaining, until they replace the clutch and provide me with a part composed of material that doesn't burn so easily, and remove the CDV so the clutch feels more like the one on my Honda, which was the best clutch I've ever felt.

Read this: This

There is hope as some dealerships are beginning to swap out the clutch. I just spoke with the district service operations manager for my area and have hopes that he will be calling soon with approval to swap out my clutch.

I wouldn't go to them saying that you love to do 6,000rpm dumps with your clutch or you will get no where!

Haha, I know!

I don't plan on doing 6,000 RPM launches in the Subaru - I don't need to, since it has much more torque than did the Honda.

But I did do one on Monday, with a girl in my car. We were going to lunch and I had to move quickly from a stop in a center median and cross 3 lanes of busy, lunchtime traffic moving at 55 mph (in a posted 45 mph zone, but that's Jacksonville). Needless to say, I needed to get across quickly to avoid being T-boned and missing out on a great wrap and smoothie for lunch with a pretty girl.

I launched (tried, I should say) the car, as the revs went up to about 6,000 I brought the clutch all the way back and had the gas halfway down, and the car didn't move too well. I did make it across, but just as I did, that terrible smell came through the vents.

I had to explain to my lunch date why my brand new $30,000 car smells like shit when I get on the clutch.

Her: "Isn't this supposed to be a performance car?"

I was embarrassed.

Again is this the same problem Subaru had w/ the WRX? Mine tried to kill me once too:mad: . After a severe beating I brought it to the dealer. I think the fix was a heavier fly wheel. Traded in for the Legacy soon after so don't know if the fix was long lasting. Clutch was one the reasons I got 5eat just didn't trust that Subaru got it right.

Has anyone been able to figure out if the CDT is just in the LGT? At first I hard a hard time with stalling the car out, (after driving only Jeeps for the past 7 years) but after a while, I managed to adujst to it. I had the clutch stink as well when sitting in heavy traffic for about the first 5k miles. I haven't smelled it since and I have 8k on it now.

Edit: CDT?? How about CDV :redface:

Another danger of posting at work: getting your acronyms all mixed up.

Archived