LegacyGT.com

Too Cold For Summer Tires?

outahere

Based on your experiences, when is it too cold to run a summer tire (assume no snow and no ice)? If early spring and late fall night time temps are in the 30s and 40s, are you still comfortable running a summer tire at those temps?

The wear you would do to winter tires running them durring the day when it's 80 degrees and the asphalt is over 100 is far worse than the grip you'd be losing by having your summer tires a little chilly. Just keep note of the pavement temp and drive accordingly.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

While browsing over at the tirerack, I came across a description of the new Yokohama max performance summer tire, the Advan Neova AD07. What was interesting was Yokohama's warning that use or storage at temps below 14 degF will damage the tire.

I squeeled the RE-070's good on Friday afternoon.. they were slightly under inflated though so I think that combined with the cold weather resulted in the noise. I filled them up to 40 front, 38 rear now. Much better. They definitely ride a lot stiffer than the RE-92's but I like them.

Oh and ChE, I also go to college in Madison, but I will be in the Appleton area this summer. :)

I haven't had issues with the RE-070's or Kuhmo MX in the cold and wet. They even seem to work ok below freezing given no ice.

The stock tires on the EVO though suck ass below 50 degrees F. Which isn't good in portland given long winters where it will rail and have a months of highs south of that. Lol wet roads cool the tires way to quick.

• 11 months later...

Archived