LegacyGT.com

Tint shops in SD?

mbacis

Can anyone recommend a good tint shop in San Diego? I've heard good things about M&M Window tinting but they strictly use 3M. From what I've read I want to go with a ceramic, non-conductive, tint to prevent radio signal loss, like the Formula One Pinnacle Series. As far as I can tell 3M doesn't make a ceramic tint.

Any suggestion/comments? Anyone ever use Mr. Tint in Encinitas or Escondido?

-Matt

I used Detail Works in Mira Mesa (couple blocks from the Pyramid on Miramar Road). They used Llumar brand tint on all seven windows (3 sides and back) plus the sunroof. The back five windows get 35% and the roof and the two fronts will be 51% for $250. Link: http://www.detailworks.com/ provides some good detailing tips too.

I'm going to take my two 98 GTs there for tinting too. Probably will go with 55% all around on those two.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks guys, any issues with your front windows being tinted? Legally we can only do 70% in the front.

I also had the dealer fix the front bumper where they made holes to put a frame. I'll see how long I can drive without geting a ticket b/c I don't have front plates.

My car didn't even come with holes for a plate in front. Pleasantly surprised because I thought we needed front plates in CA. Come to think of it, the DMV only sent us one plate. Guess I was wrong.

I live in the Hillcrest/Banker's Hill area, right across from the park. I got my LGT from Irvine, they had the best deal. I hadn't seen any other Legacy's until about two weeks ago. I saw a white sedan LGT up on Mira Mesa Blvd and then a silver one parked along sixth, by Penn.

I'm itching to get mine tinted, hopefully keep it a bit cooler.

Funny - hadn't seen any LGTs or OBs at all and drove into my parking structure the other day and there was another SWP LGT Ltd Wagon exactly like mine, except their's had a 5EAT transmission. I work off Friar's Rd in Mission Valley.

The next day, I was walking into the client's parking lot and there's brand spanking new GBP LGT Sedan without plates on it.

Left a note on the windshield of the wagon about this site, but didn't get to leave a note on the black sedan.

Tint has really made a difference internally on the hot days. I always leave the sunroof tilted up and the top shade closed up as far as it will go against the tilt mechanism but the inside has stayed very cool comparatively.

WRT the front side windows, I went with the 55% fronts so that you could see inside but so there would be UV/heat rejection for the leather. You take your chances on a pull-over but I'll cross that bridge if I need to. Pics here...http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=147842&postcount=128

SBT

I swung by Tint Devil on Mira Mesa Blvd today and they quoted $320 using SunTek film. A bit pricey in my opinion. Especially for a film that is reasonably new to the market.

I also stopped by Detail Works, but the guy was on his way out so we didn't talk much. He seemes a lot nicer than the Tint Devil guy. He did say not to worry about a metalized film interrupting FM reception, only AM and GPS, but I've read opposing thoughts on that. He quoted me around $199 for their dyed film and ~$250 for the metalized.

Audio Car in Chula Vista looks good, but they work out of bays that are open to the outside. Not a very controlled environment.

I wanted to use FormulaOne's ceramic film, but the only close shops are Mr. Tint. There's supposed to be one in Vista, another in Escondido, and one in Encinitas. I could not get ahold of the Encinitas store, nor could I find it on any online listings (only the Formulaone.com website). I don't like that they don't have a website.

I've heard good things about M&M Tinting. They use 3M film, but their website says they go to 1/16" from the top. I know at least Tint Devil goes all the way up and files it off. I'd rather not have any gap if possible.

I really thought this was going to be simpler, but now I find myself stressing.

Subietonic, did you go with their dyed film or the metalized? And does the tint go all the way to the top of the window?

Detail Works applied Llumar (metallized) film all the way to the top of each window and well seated below the moisture strip at the bottom. They did an excellent job of matching the top edge. I can't even tell where they did it. BTW - almost all of their business is by referral. I found them on their website but after I found it there, several Porsche and MB owners told me about their shop.

AM reception is compromised somewhat but AM is what it is and I do get typically clear reception except inside parking structures and/or underpasses, etc. where you expect to loss reception anyway. My GPS works fine all of the time so that's not been an issue.

SBT

I swung by Tint Devil on Mira Mesa Blvd today and they quoted $320 using SunTek film. A bit pricey in my opinion. Especially for a film that is reasonably new to the market.

I also stopped by Detail Works, but the guy was on his way out so we didn't talk much. He seemes a lot nicer than the Tint Devil guy. He did say not to worry about a metalized film interrupting FM reception, only AM and GPS, but I've read opposing thoughts on that. He quoted me around $199 for their dyed film and ~$250 for the metalized.

Audio Car in Chula Vista looks good, but they work out of bays that are open to the outside. Not a very controlled environment.

I wanted to use FormulaOne's ceramic film, but the only close shops are Mr. Tint. There's supposed to be one in Vista, another in Escondido, and one in Encinitas. I could not get ahold of the Encinitas store, nor could I find it on any online listings (only the Formulaone.com website). I don't like that they don't have a website.

I've heard good things about M&M Tinting. They use 3M film, but their website says they go to 1/16" from the top. I know at least Tint Devil goes all the way up and files it off. I'd rather not have any gap if possible.

I really thought this was going to be simpler, but now I find myself stressing.

Subietonic, did you go with their dyed film or the metalized? And does the tint go all the way to the top of the window?

Wow, thanks for doing the leg work. I'm very interested to see where exactly you decide to have your car tinted.

I made an appt. for Thursday at Mr. Tint in Vista. I decided I really wanted the F1 Pinnacle film. The ceramic film is supposed to be just about on par with the metalized as far as heat rejection and equally as durable (no fade or disoloration issues). I don't want to risk any antenna interferance and will probably end up getting a portable GPS soon so I don't want that to be compromised either. Had I been willing to go with a metalized tint I would have used Detail Works.

I'll try and post pics once it's done. Thanks for everyone's input.

I made an appt. for Thursday at Mr. Tint in Vista. I decided I really wanted the F1 Pinnacle film. The ceramic film is supposed to be just about on par with the metalized as far as heat rejection and equally as durable (no fade or disoloration issues). I don't want to risk any antenna interferance and will probably end up getting a portable GPS soon so I don't want that to be compromised either. Had I been willing to go with a metalized tint I would have used Detail Works.

I'll try and post pics once it's done. Thanks for everyone's input.

Please make sure to let us know how it works out! If everything is good to go with your car I'll be dropping mine off as well!

OK, very pleased so far. Unfortunately the F1 Pinnacle film is only available in 50, 35, and 15%. I went with 35% rear and 50% front because I didn't want to deal with tickets for having the front too dark and also didn't want a huge difference between the front and back. I was afraid it was going to be too light, but I'm very happy with it. It took two guys just about an hour.

If you really want to use the F1 film like I did then I would definitely recommend these guys. However, if you're not as picky/paranoid about fading or radio interference, or want a better choice of shades, then I would say save yourself some money and go to Detail Works like Subitonic or Car Stereo like o|-| c|-|uTen, based on their happy results.

Here is a link to some pics, sorry if the quality stinks, I was getting a lot of reflection with the sun so low.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbacis/album?.dir=/627b

OK, very pleased so far. Unfortunately the F1 Pinnacle film is only available in 50, 35, and 15%. I went with 35% rear and 50% front because I didn't want to deal with tickets for having the front too dark and also didn't want a huge difference between the front and back. I was afraid it was going to be too light, but I'm very happy with it. It took two guys just about an hour.

If you really want to use the F1 film like I did then I would definitely recommend these guys. However, if you're not as picky/paranoid about fading or radio interference, or want a better choice of shades, then I would say save yourself some money and go to Detail Works like Subitonic or Car Stereo like o|-| c|-|uTen, based on their happy results.

Here is a link to some pics, sorry if the quality stinks, I was getting a lot of reflection with the sun so low.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbacis/album?.dir=/627b

Thanks for the pictures! How much was the total out the door?

• 2 weeks later...
I guess it's too late for some, but...Alvin O's in the Kearney Mesa area (Ronson Road)...they do awesome work - did my 04 Maxima and 02 Camry. They do work for the local Infinity and Mercedes dealer as well. They will offer excellent advice on tint levels, etc. and have a professional staff. I highly recommend them. Phone number: (858) 874-8468

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been cited or warned in SD area for having front windows tinted?

I went with 35 percent all the way around because I felt 50 percent (which is technically illegal also) would not provide enough comfort. I'm wondering how much risk this puts me at. I don't drive terriblly aggressively, crank godawful music, "cruise" PB, or have anything else tricked out.

I used Detail Works off Miramar Road based on a recomendation in this thread. I'm satisfied with their service, though it is perhap too early to tell if they did a good job.

I got mine done about 4 months ago and no problems yet with police. If they are bored late at night or if there is a check point, you will get pulled over. It's just a fix it ticket that will cost $10. But if you know any cops, they can just right it off for you.

YES! I know a few:D

• 5 years later...
I'd still go to Detail Works if I were there and having some installed. You cannot beat their factory, knife-edge finish to the windows - looks completely stock.

I still need to get my SpecB tinted.

Lee Berbs did my 5EAT in NJ.

Dale has seen the quality of the file job done on my 5EAT. His wagon looked much like my 5EAT.

I am going to Detail Works first (and requesting the owner). If they charge $300, I dont care. Filed edge into the glass FTW!

Dale understands.

Detail Works no longer does vehicle tint. He referred me to a guy named Virgil at 877-484-6886. He quoted my wife's Prius at 275 all the way around, and my LX470 at 95 for the front two windows to match the factory tint in the back.

Tell them Steve from DW sent you for a referral discount. :)

Archived