LegacyGT.com

Looking for Reviews for 5EAT

Do yourself a favor and get the MT....

you will most likely lose a little less than a second to 60 and about 1-1.5 seconds in the 1/4 (maybe a little less)

It all depends on what you are going for. Certainly the auto will be much more consistent but slower, if you are looking for the performance aspect, you will regret not getting the manual.

Thanks Guys great points, But I am just interested in the hard numbers (results), if they exist. Also, I already have a weekend car that is faster and would drive circles around the LGT. But I would hate to drive it daily! The LGT is an amazing car and offers the best of all worlds.

This weekend car you speak of... It wouldn't happen to be another 2.5 liter turbo, would it?

Like say, a 924 Turbo?

Those things are cool, but I hear that parts are getting downright scarce for the unique stuff. I always wondered if the panel between the headlights with the vents in it for the intercooler would fit on a 944 turbo...

It is actually a 2.0 turbo in the 924 the 2.5 is for the 944. Yes the panel would fit but it needs to be modified since it is welded on the 924 and bolted on the 944. I have a spare if you need one. ;)

Basically I have taken off the archaic fuel injection in favor of a custom EFI system, added a 944 turbo front mount intercooler, Manual Boost controller, Full redo of the suspension and brakes (Koni Sports all around, uprated sways bars, larger wheels, yadda yadda). I also got the european fiberglass bumpers (the Porsche equivalent of JDM) The car is between 250-275hp depending on boost level and only weighs 2700lbs. The power comes on violently in early turbo cars, the wife hates it! :D

Yea but they just stomped on the gas, and didn't powerbrake it to around 3200 rpm and let go of the brake. I bet you can get a better #.

you'll also be looking for a new engine in a few years if you keep doing that :lol: :lol:

I don't care it's a lease and some mexicano ran into me with of course on lic. no Ins, no tags, and not even his car and did about $15,000 worth of damage to it .and it's an auto and who cares about the motor when it was on the ground.

Basically it breaks down to this:

IF you live in an area with tons of traffic - get the 5EAT

IF you live where there are lots of open roads and not much traffic - 5spd

Also, you might want to pick up a copy of this:

http://www.legacyblue.com/Legacy/normal_forumsearch.jpg

;):lol:

- Mike

Here's one from Edmund's on a 5EAT LGT wagon: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=102623

They complained about turbo lag and tranny shift points, but the general consensus based on actual owner experiences is that Edmund's probably had either a pre-production test or not-yet broken in model.

Another reference would be C&D's review of the OBXT 5EAT around the same time.

Ken

You'll love when the 5EAT gets confused and instead of launching it lags like a fat whale. Then there are other times when it catches you by surprise and launches like it's heading down a runway about to take off.

For the most part the 5EAT is a great transmission, but the occasional hiccup will happen once in a blue moon.

According to Motor Trend:

5EAT sedan: 0-60 in 6.5 seconds

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0502_up_subaru/index.html

- Mike

I like my 5EAT, my only complaint with it is when you are in manual mode and pushing it (what else is the point of manual mode) you need to shift like 500 rps before you want it to shift. In the auto modes it shfts fine and is still fast.

I just stay in Sport mode all time time it downshifts quick enough for passing and holds the rpms longer during upshift. Also you can run all the way to redline between shifts if you like that sort of thing.

I personally like my 5EAT. While I do admit it does give up a tick or two (or a few even), I have no regrets. I like being able to "shift" if I feel like it, and not having to be stuck doing it all the time. I can rive a manual and I like them, but this time around I opted to do something else.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Not suggesting 5eat owners do this, but has anyone done a "drop" into gear after bringing up the rpm to lets say 3-5K???? I wonder if we would break into a 4 wheel spin and go sideways and stuff, like some are saying when they dump the clutch at high revs on the 5mt.

The brake stand method to me doesn't seem to be much better on the drivetrain than this would.

This is not my beautiful car.

I tried the neutral drop and the puter stops any sort of high rev stuff. If you launch in manual 1st and bring the motor to 2k then it takes off pretty well theres no lag but still not as good as a 5 speed. :(

Archived