LegacyGT.com

Local Dealer's offer

jarrod

Well, there is something to be said for sticking with your local dealer too. I shopped Fitzmall and then bought local (my dealer bitched the whole way through, but I brought him an LLBean Outback sale from my brother, so that shut him up). It probably cost me about $200 more that way, but it was also 1.5 miles down the road. Use it for bargaining power or to buy if your local dealer doesn't play ball. Pricing has alot to do with stock on hand, time on the lot, current incentives, etc.

Well, for some reason, I don't think my local dealer here would be willing to play ball. They have a non-ltd GT "marked down" to $25,200, which in comparison to what I've just found on fitzmall is a joke. Sure I could haggle them down on that, but probably not much. In all reality, I'm only 4.5-5 hours away from DC, and have friends there anyway, so it's kinda like a bonus to go up there and see them. But I'll definitely show my local dealer the price I got from fitzmall and see what he says.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey my dealer says clearly in MN that they'll sell it below invoice and pass on the $1250 savings from SoA to customer rightaway....for a LGT LTD 5MT i'm looking at at the least $25700 (with options like sub/amp,flr mats, autodim)

Go to another dealer...someone will wanna deal

Well, for some reason, I don't think my local dealer here would be willing to play ball. They have a non-ltd GT "marked down" to $25,200, which in comparison to what I've just found on fitzmall is a joke. Sure I could haggle them down on that, but probably not much. In all reality, I'm only 4.5-5 hours away from DC, and have friends there anyway, so it's kinda like a bonus to go up there and see them. But I'll definitely show my local dealer the price I got from fitzmall and see what he says.

Hey let me know what they say, i'm considering doing the same thing. I'm also about 4-5 hours from DC

hmm here they're saying there are no rebates...only thing they have is 1.9% APR for 24 months

My local dealers gave me the same story, although they said there was 1.9 for 36 months. He was quoting 1000 over invoice, which i got a chuckle out of. A dealer about 2 hours away offered 500 under invoic which sounded decent until i read about fitzmall and what others are being offered.

I can't find the 1250 online.. edmunds..etc. Can it be combined with the special financing?

Local dealers also insist that there is a 250 dollar marketing fee which is added to the invoice (indiana area). Are these legit? I was told a similar thing a few years ago when i was looking at the WRX.

Lastly, has anybody used subaru bucks? I have a bout 900 from my MBNA credit card and a coworker has another 900. I'm hoping to use his also as he is no longer in the market for a new car and they start expiring in June, however, i'm not sure if two different names on the coupons will fly.

Hey let me know what they say, i'm considering doing the same thing. I'm also about 4-5 hours from DC

Will do. But I'll probably wait until next week, so I can get on their lot on sunday and see what kind of stock my local dealer is carrying. I mean, if they only have a few on the lot, then it's probably not worth it to them to deal that much......but if they have a large inventory, maybe they'll be interested in haggling. ;)

Will do. But I'll probably wait until next week, so I can get on their lot on sunday and see what kind of stock my local dealer is carrying. I mean, if they only have a few on the lot, then it's probably not worth it to them to deal that much......but if they have a large inventory, maybe they'll be interested in haggling. ;)

Thanks, Nice to see someone on here from greesnboro..i'm familiar with that area lol

Advert fee is legit, AFAIK. Someone has to pay Lance

It is? :confused:

In my business we don't charge our clients if we want to advertise to get people to listen to our station. Just seems like if you want people to come drive your car, you gotta pay for advertising to get the word out there.

It is? :confused:

In my business we don't charge our clients if we want to advertise to get people to listen to our station. Just seems like if you want people to come drive your car, you gotta pay for advertising to get the word out there.

Don't pay it...every new car we've bought we've never paid that..it's BS...if they want to sell you the car they'll drop it

Don't pay it...every new car we've bought we've never paid that..it's BS...if they want to sell you the car they'll drop it

Ummm......okay. Got any proof it's BS? If not, please don't make claims you can't back up.

Every Subaru dealer I spoke to told me about it, including Fitzmall (their price includes it). It may be a regional thing (Mid-A may cost more to advertise in than other places).

Let's assume it's regional then....believe me, I walked away from the deal over it and called a few people I know at other Subaru places. At least in November, it wasn't negotiable.

It just seems weird to me that they're charging the consumer for advertising for something they're trying to sell. I mean, does Burger King tack on an additional .04 onto that cheeseburger for advertising? I doubt it. Maybe it is built into the pricing structure, who knows. BUT, for them to tack on an additional $500 onto a car for advertising is outrageous IMO.

Advert fee is legit, AFAIK. Someone has to pay Lance

It is absolutely legit and Subaru charges the dealers for this fee.

They may waive it but then they're not giving something else, e.g., the whole dealer holdback (~ $1300 on a LGT 5EAT Ltd Wagon - $1188 on my LGT 5MT Ltd Wagon).

BTW - dealer holdback is 4% of MSRP. Figure out the total MSRP for the vehicle with options, take that figure x .04 and the product is your dealer holdback. Just remember to subtract that from dealer invoice to get your true dealer cost. Don't forget to add in the advert fee and shipping/delivery (together about $800) to the true dealer cost so you'll have a starting point to negotiate upward from with the dealer.

Check this post for some good information and calculation examples:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4816&highlight=irvine

(post 19 http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75153&postcount=19 is my actual deal)

Bottom line, if they don't "charge" you for the Advert Fee, then you're paying for it somewhere else in the final calculations

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

::sigh:: I love how everyone thinks we don't deserve to make money. How much markup do you think you pay for those aftermarket parts you end up buying? ;) Believe me it's much more than the markup in a car.

The auto industry is the ONLY industry that you can find this kind of information on. Could you imagine asking a real estate agent what they own the house for? They'd laugh in your face more than likely.

In any case.... I believe I deserve to make money. Period. No one asks you to work for free so please don't ask me to do the same. All my customers here at the dealership love me because they know I'll go the extra mile to help them out. Each of them have my personal cell phone number and an invitation to call me should they ever need anything. Hell they even get wholesale pricing on any accessories or aftermarket parts and 10% off service here as well. We're not the cheapest place in town but we sell a lot of Subarus to happy people because we always take care of them in the end. Us small town family dealerships (been here 68 years now I might add) don't have the ability to just spam cars out for nothing like the megastores. We just make sure our people are happier =)

Basically... you can get a car for dirt cheap from a place that knows nothing about the car and just whores them out. Or you can get a fair deal from people you know you can trust and that will take care of you down the road. I'm all for working out great deals for people but the way I keep my job and can afford to be here is by making the dealership money. If you walked into your job today and lost them several thousand dollars.... what are the chances that you'd be coming back tomorrow? ;)

< / rant on everyone wanting things for free when I work my ass off every day to help people out>

Could you imagine asking a real estate agent what they own the house for? They'd laugh in your face more than likely.

Actually, most counties have that information online in their tax assessment area.

Cars are a commodity....get over it.

DISCLAIMER: I used to work in sales on a straight commission basis (no base salary), so I do understand your rant.

Tax value != what you paid for the house ;)

Try buying a boat, motorcycle, etc and looking up the invoices online. It just doesn't happen.

Given... the auto industry screwed themselves because of how they treated the customer in the 80's.... but I don't think profit is a dirty word. Face it... if we don't make money you don't have a place to buy cars from.

PS: I actually work on a salary and units bonus here as I'm the internet sales manager :) So really the only time I make any commission is on used cars. Just think it's unfair for dealerships that actually care about the customer to lose sales to stores that don't give a damn.

The purchase of automobiles by consumers is regulated by archaic and outdated franchise laws dating back to the 1920's and 1930's. Manufacturers are not permitted to sell direct - they must have franchisees - third parties sell their wares. What other industry has that restriction? Let the manufacturers sell their products how they see fit - some will keep the dealer networks in place for sales, some will use it for delivery and maintenance/service issues. Your lcoal dealer makes little to nothing on the car itself - 75% of the profit comes from F&I and the shop.

I have not had one positive experience yet with buying a new car. The car dealers here in VA at least are horrible.

Eh... pretty much any retail sale goes through a middle man first. The manufacturers don't have the time/patience/desire to sell direct and I can't blame them. Having had thoughts of setting up a retail tuning shop, etc (I run wrxhackers.com btw) I reallized that I'd rather be a wholesaler and just move large quantities of parts rather than deal with the customer end of it. Customers are a pain! I know because well... I'm one of'em!

Now I won't argue that the vast majority of dealerships are run by idiots and have salesmen that couldn't care less. But there are a few of us here on the boards that were here first and ended up selling Subaru's because we love the cars and want to help people out. I was on I-Club years ago and just continue to enjoy my hobby while corrupting more people into driving Subarus :)

I've done what I can to change the bad habits of this dealership and I've come a long way. You wouldn't believe it... when someone doesn't know the answer to a detailed question about a Subaru they actually ASK instead of make up some BS answer lol I've made it a point to be involved in every STi sale as well as the GT legacys because those owners have questions that only an enthusiast could answer most of the time.

Eh... pretty much any retail sale goes through a middle man first. The manufacturers don't have the time/patience/desire to sell direct and I can't blame them.

Agreed - but that decision should be left to the manufacturer. I have to buy from an unprofessional local car dealer because the franchise laws say I do. I would rather order from the manufacturer EXACTLY what I want and take delivery locally (so I can avoid the argument with the local dealer of them selling me what's available on the lot or charging me for the parts at a different price structure than if I can order the car straight out.)

I have to retract something I said earlier - I have actually had one positive experience in buying a car - that's with MINI. First class all the way through - as long as you know you are paying list price going in. From start to finish, a great experience (it was my fiance's car - I personally have never had a good buying experience).

Archived