LegacyGT.com

Fix for pollen filter access

Johnny5

Just wanted people to know that Subaru has released a kit to make access to the pollen filter eaiser. I replaces the back of the glove box to line up with the filter access door. The cost of the kit is $102.00(it includes a filter) and is 1/2 hour labor to get it installed. I'm getting mine installed this weekend. :)

I also tried to get it covered under warranty, but no dice. Its not considered a defect since it can still be replaced, only its a PITA to do it. I was told this is considered a convenience enhancement. I'll make sure to get the part number this weekend when I get my car serviced.

Just wanted people to know that Subaru has released a kit to make access to the pollen filter eaiser. I replaces the back of the glove box to line up with the filter access door. The cost of the kit is $102.00(it includes a filter) and is 1/2 hour labor to get it installed. I'm getting mine installed this weekend. :)

And you can get it for $80 from Dan Perkins Subaru at Subarupartsforyou.com

• 3 years later...
I was going to start a new post on the cabin filter, but it may be covered here. I just had my wife's '08 Outback in for service after one year and the service manager said I needed a filter for $85. I asked him why it was so much. He said it was difficult to install up under the dash. Is this a normal price? Is replacement needed every year? I'm just curious if this is a necessary maintenance item or just additional dealer profit. Thanks.

The 07s and 08s have a pocket at the top of the glove box that the manuals folder fits into, and that appears to be removeable. On its bottom (on the top of the main compartment) there seem to be tabs or something.

Does anyone know if that pocket comes off with some trick of those tabs? And what's the trick?

This would appear to be the solution for later models, if it works. HPH

I wish I had taken some pictures because the scooby mods instructions were close to what my '08 looks like. The second set are a condensed version that doesn't show you how to remove the glove box or the panel to get the filter out.

Mine has a pop clip that looks like a screw on the right side if the glove box that holds it in. Under the owners manual cubby there are five more pop clips holding a cover in place. Once the clips are removed the cover needs to be gently pried out.

Like I said a little tricky the first time but not hard.

on mine the the exact steps are:

1. remove side panel

2. remove strap and glove box hinge pop clip

3. push in on the right side of glove box to release the stop, the glove will come out on an angle

4 remove owners manual cubby

5 remove the five clips holding on the access panel under cubby and gently pry out

6 remove filter and clean, replace, throw the filter away (your choice)

install in reverse order

Notice that unlike both sets of instructions I did NOT remove any screws.

Archived