LegacyGT.com

Close the middle dash vents?

Is there a way to do this?

Yesterday I had the sunroof open and windows down, and even with the ACC unit turned off, there was hot air pouring out of the middle dash vents. (The ones on either side of the cubby.)

The door side vents have the on/off roller, but how do I shut off the middle vents?

Oh, and I think it totally sucks that there is no readily apparent way to just have the ACC system work in "vent" mode. The air is always like 15+ degrees warmer than ambient, even if it is set to 65 (aka low). Yes, I have fired up the AC to blow out the hot air trapped in the system, but after a minute or so, it ends up being hot again.

I am very disappointed with the ACC in my car.

:mad:

turn recirculate on with the rest of the system off. Hit the off button, then press the recirculate. It will stop for the most part that flow through air.

So in order to stop the flow of air, I have to turn the ACC on?

You can't have the ACC on without some level of fan, correct?

:confused:

Thanks for the link, but I've read that already.

1. It doesn't mention shutting off the middle vents.

2. It doesn't explain why the air coming through those vents is HOT when the system is shut off completely, or set to the alleged "vent" mode, aka a setting of 65.

i am able to turn recirc on when the AC is not on. all you will see is the recirc icon on in the AC window. i have to do this in morning traffic if i don't want to be sucking exhaust.

So in order to stop the flow of air, I have to turn the ACC on?

You can't have the ACC on without some level of fan, correct?

:confused:

Not really....make sure the system is completely off. Nothing on the display is on. Then press just the recirculate button. Don't turn the system back on, just that one button. You can toggle between recirculate which essentially lets no air in and the other choice, which flows air through the vents. The ACC unit will NOT be on, the only light you will see will be the recirculate light.

i am able to turn recirc on when the AC is not on. all you will see is the recirc icon on in the AC window. i have to do this in morning traffic if i don't want to be sucking exhaust.

OK, that is helpful.

Any idea why it is blowing heated air when the ACC is off?

(Or is this "normal," per Subaru?)

OK, that is helpful.

Any idea why it is blowing heated air when the ACC is off?

(Or is this "normal," per Subaru?)

From what i have found it depends on what the temp was set to before you turned it off. If it was at like 85, then it will blow hot air and vice versa.

From what i have found it depends on what the temp was set to before you turned it off. If it was at like 85, then it will blow hot air and vice versa.

This is beyond stupid.

And, for the sake of discussion, it was about 68 degrees yesterday here in Boston. We messed with the ACC for a good 15 minutes trying to get it to stop blowing hot air when in manual mode. Blasting the AC for a minute or two, turning it off, and then back on, etc....

Has Subaru at least admitted this thing sucks?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Mine blows cold air, then a little warmer, then cold again- I always thought this was normal due to the A/C compressor kicking in and out. I didn't read the ACC thread though, so this might not be news to anyone.

........I would, however, like to figure out how to get it to bring in fresh, unadulterated air from the outside....

Me too. What the Legacy GT needs is a true vent mode, in which AC is turned off and hot coolant flow through the heat exchanger is shut off.

The HVAC system on the GT is poorly engineered. Just yesterday, it was sunny and 58 deg outside, and probably 80 deg inside the car (from being parked in the sun) and when I turned on the ACC, it pumped out warm air instead of cold air. Stupid ACC.

If I turn off ACC, and then hit the recirc button to stop all airflow through the vents, there is still hot air coming through the vents. Stupid ACC.

This is beyond stupid.

And, for the sake of discussion, it was about 68 degrees yesterday here in Boston. We messed with the ACC for a good 15 minutes trying to get it to stop blowing hot air when in manual mode. Blasting the AC for a minute or two, turning it off, and then back on, etc....

Has Subaru at least admitted this thing sucks?

What did you have the temperature setting at?

Guys, it really sounds like we have totally different systems when I read these posts. I don't see how some systems are different than others though. As an example, I drove around the other day in Vermont and it was about 68 degrees as well. I shut off the ACC, then hit mode to get vent air to my face (no fan of course). I opened the sunroof, and cracked the rear windows about half an inch. I find this helps with air flow through the car.

The car blew cool air out of the vents while I was moving. The air wasn't hot in the least. Also, the temp was set at 70 on both sides before I shut down the system and went to vent mode. Well, after about 30 minutes of slow driving and a lot of sun it started to get too hot. I didn't want to use the AC so I did the following:

1. Hit the auto button.

2. Hit the AC button to shut off AC.

3. Set both sides to 72.

The fan came on high, on dash vents for about 5 mintues. The air was cool without AC. Then after about 15 mintues, the car cooled down enough to lower the fan to the lowest fan speed, and still on dash vents. The car was nice and cool and it was exactly what I wanted. Keep in mind that the roof was open the entire time along with the back windows. I never experienced any warm air. I have been happy with the ACC system. It isn't as good as my last car, but it isn't at all bad in my view.

The only time I have problems is if the passenger has it on 80, and I have my side on 70. It seems to cycle cool to warm a lot more under those settings. Also, if the passenger tries to set it at 80, then 78 then 76 then 78 it drives the system nuts as well as myself...... :lol:

I also find I adjust this system more, but I have never had it on anything but 70 or 72 for my side. What temps do you guys set???

Not to be rude, but I don't understand why so many people are so upset over the automatic controls. It's "automatic climate control", not magic perfection. Just think of any older car you've have that DIDN'T have automatic climate control. If it was cold in the morning and you slid (or turned if it was a knob) the temperature setting control all the way to the hottest setting...then were driving home later in the day and it was warm out...if you were going fast enough to have air forced through the vent systems enough for you to feel, it would come through at the thermostat's set temperature according to where the temperature control knob is set...REGARDLESS of whether the fan is on or not. That is my biggest gripe about ACC. Because the same goes for ACC. If you have the system on and set the knobs to 80 degrees, even when you turn it off, the free-flowing air coming through will still continue to be warm or cold depending on your setting. The only pain in the butt is that you have to turn the system on, turn the settings all the way down (ON BOTH SIDES!!!!:eek: That's the only thing I love about our TSX...you can have separate or unseparated controls!), then turn the system off. The only weird thing I have found with the Subie is that 65 is the lowest and 85 is the highest. Most cars I've had go from 60-62 to 90. Our TSX oddly enough has an even wider range than that.

If it were manual control, these discussions wouldn't happen.

The trouble is that it isn't very good at being automatic, either. it always takes fiddling, and when you set what you want, you don't always get that.

On my test drive, I was completely annoyed with the system wanting to go to full fan. I hate it when I am trying to have a conversation, or listen to music, and especially if I am trying to deal with congested traffic, and the fan is blowing like a hurricane. It is more about the noise than the flow. On my cars with manual controls, I just turn them down a notch or two to quell the sound.

With this automatic system, you have to take it off of automatic control to have it do what you want, and even then it sometimes isn't right, according to people who live with it every day. How is that beneficial, or a correct design? At the very least it is a nuisance and a distraction from driving.

If it were manual control, these discussions wouldn't happen.

The trouble is that it isn't very good at being automatic, either. it always takes fiddling, and when you set what you want, you don't always get that.

On my test drive, I was completely annoyed with the system wanting to go to full fan. I hate it when I am trying to have a conversation, or listen to music, and especially if I am trying to deal with congested traffic, and the fan is blowing like a hurricane. It is more about the noise than the flow. On my cars with manual controls, I just turn them down a notch or two to quell the sound.

With this automatic system, you have to take it off of automatic control to have it do what you want, and even then it sometimes isn't right, according to people who live with it every day. How is that beneficial, or a correct design? At the very least it is a nuisance and a distraction from driving.

Well, if you turn it to auto, then reduce the fan speed manually, everything else stays "auto" and it will continue trying to put the car at the set temperature within the fan-speed constraint you've given it. The next problem won't crop up until it gets TO that set point, when it'll do the hot-and-cold thing.

The ACC is *NOT* the best in the world, but I haven't found it all that hard to manage. I should probably reserve judgment until the TX summer hits, though...

My '97 Jetta GLX was truly awful for heating up the vents when parked with the engine warm. Even with the AC on, it took a while for the vents to cool down. Up to now I'd attributed the warm air on startup without the compressor enabled to hot vents, but I wonder if it's also wonkiness in the system.

Ah, well... I'm out of the break-in miles now, so if the ACC bugs me I can just floor it and remind myself of the many things I *DO* like about the car. ;)

DKB

Deer killer,

I was just meaning that if there were just three manual dials, everyone would know what to expect, and would get what they selected, and there would be no controversy, thus no discussion. (It'd be a discussion about why a car at this price doesn't have it! :p )

The ACC just seems to be unintuitive, and possibly design flawed. I just shut the whole thing off on my test drive, due to the full fan thing, because I knew it woudn't be easy to dial it in with the wife, and the salesman sitting there waiting, and I wanted to pay attention to the car's other attributes.

It may be manually adjustable, which is good for occaisional override. But if you always have to manually adjust it, then what is the #%$^ point? If it needs to be adjusted manually more than just on, off, and temp, then I'd rather have simpler manual controls. I've done well with those so far.

I programmed the digital thermostat for my house, and haven't touched it since, other than pushing the vacation button when I leave for more than a day. That is simple.

From my admittedly nearly nil experience, and reading lots of valid arguments on these forums, it seems like this ACC system is way off the K.I.S.S. scale.

The ACC is fine. For cars in the price range it would be strange not to have ACC. You can't get manual climate on most cars in this class. I think the biggest problem is that since this car is cheaper than the competition, more people are getting ACC than before. I would never give up this ACC for manual controls.................. even if it was free of charge. The system isn't any harder or easier to control than any other ACC system. It simply has a little more overshoot than I would like. That's it. Just because most people are used to manual controls, that doesn't make them better. I haven't heard many complaints about this system that you wouldnt' have with any auto system.

Archived