LGT project: matte black vinyl wrap

ArcTec34

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I know, I'm pooped. I vinyl wrapped my brother's steering wheel in his BMW because the paint was chipping off. Matte black, but a different type.. I'll post pics of that for the meantime :-p

I know you stated matte black, not flat black, but here is a guide from e90post.com for anyone interested. Damn I thought I was the only one contemplating this! If only I had gotten the jump on you. :) Best of luck with it though! I'm excited to see the results (and I might be doing just the roof of mine as well ;))

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

before:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs109.snc4/35834_1337322636669_1339200078_30806465_7085172_n.jpg

shitty BMWs...

After, matte black vinyl:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs049.ash2/35834_1337322756672_1339200078_30806467_5545017_n.jpg

I know you stated matte black, not flat black, but here is a guide from e90post.com for anyone interested. Damn I thought I was the only one contemplating this! If only I had gotten the jump on you. :) Best of luck with it though! I'm excited to see the results (and I might be doing just the roof of mine as well ;))

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

haha yeah I've read that, the next 20 pages are kind of interesting in everyone arguing which vinyls to use.. you can't listen to everything people say because there is a lot of crap in there and some people don't know what they're talking about. I'm pretty sure he used Oracal vinyl, kinda like the stuff I used on that steering wheel. I would never use that on a car, it was made for wall coverings and wall signage. Its more difficult than needed, it also shows scratches and defects much more, and most of all, I'm not sure of the effects long term on the paint, as its not made to be used on cars. I'm getting 3m 180c vinyl just about as cheap as anyone can, and its still about $300 for 48" x 30 yards, I don't want to think of the crap he used on his poor bmw..

I'm also going to try to take off more body panels..as much as possible: aka front and rear bumpers, side rocker panels, etc. I've just about taken apart all of my car before so doing so for this project won't be hard at all, and will make things much easier, as wall as allowing for neater edges.

Yeah, I know, I'm pooped. I vinyl wrapped my brother's steering wheel in his BMW because the paint was chipping off. Matte black, but a different type.. I'll post pics of that for the meantime :-p

What vinyl did you use for the BMW steering wheel? (came out really clean!) I was thinking about doing some of the trim in my car.

How much would this cost to be professionally installed with parts and labor? I've looked everywhere, and no luck finding any quotes. Subscribed and can't wait to see the results, good luck

I got quoted $6k-$8k from several places around Seattle. Way too much.

That $6K+ figure looks high to me, too, but not completely impossible.

People on SF.org were getting quotes, depending on geographic area, of upwards of $4K. That's for an SF or SG-chassis Forester.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Firstly: has anyone ever removed the little bumper strips on the side of the door? They're just adhesived on..I'm going to remove them/reinstall them when I vinyl.. I guess maybe ill call the dealer and try to get adhesive strips from them

Anyway, to keep myself busy until the vinyl begins, I just ordered suntek carbon 35% window tint, and am going to wing it and try doing my windows myself..woo. I know the majority of people swear by professionals doing it. But..psh, how had can it be? :)

Side windows are fine, the back is the real pain. Shrink the back on the outside before attempting to put it on the inside. Just take your time and make sure you aren't kicking up a lot of dust and it will look good. I personally like using the pre-cut kits, but that is just because I am too lazy to want to cut it myself.

Side windows are fine, the back is the real pain. Shrink the back on the outside before attempting to put it on the inside. Just take your time and make sure you aren't kicking up a lot of dust and it will look good. I personally like using the pre-cut kits, but that is just because I am too lazy to want to cut it myself.

do you have a link to a good pre-cut kit?

Sweet! What size roll did you order? Are you going to get the matte laminiate (Product 8520) to apply on top of it? According to this catalog and the 3M site they recommend applying the laminite.