LegacyGT.com

LGT project: matte black vinyl wrap

ArcTec34

good luck on this project! :) that's gonna quite a lot of work. LOL. I have found vinyl to be much easier to install than the 3M clear bra. man! too thick and with it clear, hard to to hide the fingerprints. LOL
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow thanks for a overwhelmingly positive support..was not expecting as much compared to "wow you're stupid"

Durability: This is a 7 year vinyl. from what I've heard vinyls, especially under crappy conditions and sun as well won't last that long, but I truthfully only think I'm going to have my LGT for 2 years before I sell it, so it will have no problem lasting. If people are buying vinyl, ESPECIALLY here on the forums, make sure the vinyl is cast, not calendered. Calendered vinyl will shrink and always want to go back to its original "flat" form. I also went with this more expensive vinyl over some of the cheaper Avery alternatives because I know that it will preserve the paint and not harm it when I want to take it off in two years.

Seams and door jams,etc: the rolls are 48 inches wide, so seaming will be minimal. The only place I'll need seams are on the roof panel/ because it extends to the rear 3/4 panel. I'm not sure where I'll put a seam, one on either side. I'm thinking about doing it on the top of the roof where there is a small "ridge" a few inches above the windows.

Other than that, I am going to take off each body panel to do the best wrap I can, and so seams won't be visible.

I'm not completely sure If I will do all of the door jams with the inner frame... that will be one of the last things I look into. Hopefully I'll start this weekend, and it will be with the trunk and hood first

In for results! :D

Keeping my fingers crossed that this'll look for ya, bro! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Very nice. Have you tested this vinyl in the wild? Have you considered laminating the vinyl before wrapping? I know that matte black tends to show any little smudge or oil stain or anything pretty badly and it does not come off easy. This is where something like a matte laminate will help protect and make it easier to clean it up. I also think that the 5-7 year outdoor lifespan is with it being laminated. The matte black is a pigmented vinyl, and very thin.

I think this is what they recommend for that vinyl: -1340 3M Scotchcal Matte PSA Laminate

GL with the project, and take your time. I know a few vinyl wrappers, and they say the matte black is always a challenge for them.

X

---

Matte is much different from a regular vinyl. Luckily I started with vinyl on really hard stuff so I'm used to it. One of the issues with matte vinyl is that if you stretch it even the smallest amount it starts to look glossy.

I'm only looking to get 2 years out of this, and am not going to laminate it. Picking up the rest of the vinyl tomorrow..woo

Very nice. Have you tested this vinyl in the wild? Have you considered laminating the vinyl before wrapping? I know that matte black tends to show any little smudge or oil stain or anything pretty badly and it does not come off easy. This is where something like a matte laminate will help protect and make it easier to clean it up. I also think that the 5-7 year outdoor lifespan is with it being laminated. The matte black is a pigmented vinyl, and very thin.

I think this is what they recommend for that vinyl: -1340 3M Scotchcal Matte PSA Laminate

GL with the project, and take your time. I know a few vinyl wrappers, and they say the matte black is always a challenge for them.

X

How much would this cost to be professionally installed with parts and labor? I've looked everywhere, and no luck finding any quotes. Subscribed and can't wait to see the results, good luck

^ From what I've read about on various Forums, price varies *drastically* by area......

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

How much would this cost to be professionally installed with parts and labor? I've looked everywhere, and no luck finding any quotes. Subscribed and can't wait to see the results, good luck

Installation would be at least $1K. Not to mention how this vinyl from most places would be a few hundred more expensive too I believe..