LegacyGT.com

Dealer wants $167 to install the sub - should I let them do it or do it myself?

Triple Digits

Save your money, if you want to install it you can do it yourself, if you're intimidated by it take a drive up to MA and I'll give you a hand. I hate to see the dealer rape people on the install. PM me if you're interested.

Rick

My dealer wants $167 to install the subwoofer - for those who have done the install - should I let them do it or do it myself? How long does it take your average joe, and how much to you have to rip apart the dash?

I'm buying a new Legacy and the sales manager told me that it takes 1-1.5 hours to install the sub. $167/hr is a mighty expensive labor rate in my book...

Took me 45 minutes, but I know how to do this stuff. It's pretty easy, most of the issue is getting the center console around the parking break apart. There are good instructions on the forums some where, sorry don't remember where, anyone else?

So, the dealer is going to charge you, what like 3 hours of labor at like $55 an hour? That's pretty lame if you ask me.

I did it myself in an hour, including removing the seat to run the hide the wire UNDER the carpet. From the posts I have seen, most dealers don't run the wire under the carpet, so it makes me wonder why they charge so much. It takes about 5-10 minutes to pull the radio, the same to run the wire, the same to mount the sub and the same to put it back together. I could do it again in 45 minutes, now that I know where everything is.

I did it myself in an hour, including removing the seat to run the hide the wire UNDER the carpet. From the posts I have seen, most dealers don't run the wire under the carpet, so it makes me wonder why they charge so much. It takes about 5-10 minutes to pull the radio, the same to run the wire, the same to mount the sub and the same to put it back together. I could do it again in 45 minutes, now that I know where everything is.

i'm looking to get the subwoofer option in my new Legacy GT LTD, but I read on the Subaru.com site that it gets installed under the driver's seat. If this is true do you know if this limits how far the seat can be lowered? i'm a tall guy and when I sit in the Legacy now I have to move the seat all the way back and all the way down. If the subwoofer means I can't lower the seat as much I'll need to know now cuz i simply won't have enough headroom if that's the case.

any idea if this is an issue? I'm hoping to buy the car tomorrow.

Archived