LegacyGT.com

Best stock speaker upgrade

iyamdman

Got dimensions? We might be able to make them on one of our 3D printers - material would be ABS plastic. If it's just a ring with some holes in it that's about as easy as it gets.

um look at his post date :icon_bigg

[url=http://www.iaperformance.com/product_info.php/products_id/1482][/url]

anyhow they sell rings now http://www.iaperformance.com/product_info.php/products_id/1482

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive tried alot of speakers and the best ive found in australia anyway is soundstream. they have a big spider thing on the covers. And their picasso top of the range line, i have in my car (Ford Falcon) sound awesome. 3 way 6.5" in the back and 2 way 4" in the front (4" is all it could take) plus a 5 channel amp and a 10" sub.

I dont know about the subaru mounting depths though. They have very big magnets and i hear from my friend who has a 05 liberty/legacy that the mounting in the doors is shallow so you might have to trim till they fit. But i would get the best you can afford and make em fit. Dont buy cheaper just because they will fit easily as it will sound cheap and remember to use a good dampening tool like dynamat or something because the better sound will create huming and buzz noise and will probably vibrate your rear view mirror. I had to buy a new mirror and line every door. Read the sticky on sound deadening, it's a good step by step.

But you'll love the new sound as the quality difference is staggering from old crappy speakers to new shiny ones.

• 2 months later...

I listended to the polk db650s in person and wasnt really impressed with them they were kind of hollow sounding. I have boston acoustics in my car now but with an aftermarket amp. I would highly reccomend the Boston Acoustics S65RC speakers. The S65RC's can run on as little as 2 watts RMS which means the stock HU should push them fine and the RC line is specifically designed for shallow mounts and should fit the doors without a spacer ring.

So these can be installed straight from the box? They're $77 delivered on eBay now.

I want to put some mat behind them. No rush as Jan/Feb aren't conducive to outdoor installation.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So these can be installed straight from the box? They're $77 delivered on eBay now.

I want to put some mat behind them. No rush as Jan/Feb aren't conducive to outdoor installation.

I had tweeter do it, but IIRC they mounted them with without using a spacer.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Looking to replace the stock speakers and keep the OEM headunit. I see the Infinity Kappa 60.7cs and 63.7 are 2ohm units. Is that gonna damage the head? I can get them for $150/$100 ebay.

If I can't use those which would be recommended? Listen to mostly Pop, Jazz, and classical.

Thanks,

Brian

PS: I'm also shopping for the OEM sub to complement it all

*I had a complete aftermarket system in my last LGT but, I'm getting tired of running wires in my old(er) age! ;)

Can anybody confirm that the Boston Acoustics S65RC speakers can be installed without a spacer, just straight up? and there are no molex connection wiring issues?

Also, does anybody know where to find a walkthrough to take apart the doors?

I also need to know how many speakers are in a 2005 legacy gt ltd wagon, and are they all 6 1/2''?

Check it out while it lasts!!! Woofersetc.com was selling last years 6.5 inch components (CLS60-A) for only $99.00 so I ordered a pair this morning. Just after I ordered, a rep at woofersetc called to confirm the order and to say that they had sold out of the CLS60-A and would be upgrading me to a CL61-A (normally $149.99) for no charge. My bet is that if you hurry up and order before they take them off their web page, you'll get a $149.99 set of CDT component speakers like I did for only $99.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5207

• 7 months later...

Also, does anybody know where to find a walkthrough to take apart the doors?

I also need to know how many speakers are in a 2005 legacy gt ltd wagon, and are they all 6 1/2''?

Dunno about the BA speakers, but here is a link on how to take apart the doors: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20069

Also, you should have a 6.5" speaker in each door. The rear door speaker is a 'fill' speaker, dunno if you'd want to put identical speakers in all four doors or not. Just upgrading the fronts is a nice improvement, putting identical speakers in the rear doors might be detrimental to imaging, it'll put the stereo image behind you.

Coaxials in the front have the advantage of not having a tweeter placed far away from the woofer and closer to the ear, both of which can have detrimental effects on imaging. Component speakers usually will have better quality parts, but the factory tweeter location is lousy, too many early reflections off the windshield, and the difference in distance from the R and L tweeter to you R and L ear is great enough that imaging suffers. I get a better image from my Polk db 650 coaxials in the front with the factory tweeter disconnected. FYI, YMMV, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
+1.

6.5" all the way around; ideal to use components in the front and either coax or rear fills in the back. I used rear fills and the imaging is correct. That, and the rear speakers cost a bit less. :)

What rears did you end up going with? I'm trying to find a good set of rears to match my Focal 165kp-powers in front.

As for all this talk about how people want to move the tweeter to the kick panel, I still don't get it. I installed my tweeters in factory location and they sound phoenomenal. Almost every time someone gets in my car they will comment on how crystal clear the sound is and not harsh at all. I could not see any advantage by moving the tweeters down low except to muffle sound.:confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone installed Hertz comps in their car? I heard the "Space" line are really nice

I have run hertz and really liked them. I had them run off of an Xtant amp and Premier HU in my SpecV with an ID 10" sub, and they did well.

I ran the slimline components.

Don on caraudio.com is an authorized seller.

What is this the default revival thread? Just start your own thread people!

Actually, its better to search and revive an older thread than to startup a new thread. The more threads that are created, the more cluttered it becomes, thus making it harder to search. ;)

(For what its worth, I am not being a smartass, just trying to help the forum)

Are you guys installing the DB651 or DB651S (s being "shallow")?

I'd recommend the deepest one that fits, though I am sure that 99% of the sound is identical between the regular anf the Slim versions. You might get slightly more low-end extension on the regular due to the potential for greater excursion.

I fit a non-slim Alpine coax, but I used custom-made spacers to add some depth and to fit the bolt pattern.

Archived