LegacyGT.com

Best stock speaker upgrade

iyamdman

I would like to know, if I wanted to upgrade all the speakers in a GT Limited Wagon, how many speakers and what sizes do I need?

Also, what would be the best speakers to upgrade to?

I have the factory subwoofer, just looking to clean up the sound. Also thinking of the Clean-sweep.

If I upgrade to better speakers, would I need to add an amp?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with the higher middle of the road speakers for my doors

Front Speakers - Alpine SPS - 171A (component)

Rear Speakers - Alpine SPS - 170A

If you go with the clean sweep, you should def get an amp....it will make everythign sound better. Remember when you install new speakers, you need to let them break (20 - 50 hours of listening) before you will get the true sound out of them. So when you install them and they sound too high pitched or whatever...give them time :D The top of the line Quartz MBL's take 80 hours to break in and they are REDICULOUS $$$$$

I don't have a wagon so I can't attest to the # and sizes of the speakers....I'm sure some has posted somewhere...

It takes 80 hours for your ears and brain to become accustomed to the way they sound, maybe?

Speaker break-in is somewhat of a myth... it's not as significant as people make it out to be. The suspension stiffness settles after only a few hours of rigorous use and doesn't really deviate too much from as-new spec. You get bigger variations from temperature extremes than you do from whether the speaker is broken in for weeks.

The whole thing started in home audio when the customer called the store saying he hooked up his new speakers and they don't sound like they did in the store... so the salesman would tell him that they "needed to break in" instead of explaining that the listening room had a huge impact. The customer then listens for weeks, gets used to the sound and decides to keep them... The power of psychology in action. :)

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I am in the same boat as you iyamdman, I want to change my speakers out as well. I know I can go with 6.5" around; which I did in MY04 WRX. In my REX I went with Momo components in front and MB Quarts in the rear. The problem is I had no amp and the power was way down, even with a aftermarket radio (Pioneer Premier 7500).

I would like to put some good sounding 6.5" in the doors without the need of a amp.

Any suggestions>????

Just get a CD full of pink noise, crank it up to about 85dB and let it run for a couple hours.. should be good enough.

Or save $20 and tune into static on the radio and do the same.

Having been around hi-end home audio for more than 10 years, there is definitely a difference with speakers once they are properly broken in (ask any boutique audiophile if they would rather audition NIB or floor model speakers at home). Better bass and slightly better staging. That being said, I could safely wager money on the ability of the average joe to reliably detect the difference on normal equipment in an untreated room like most people have at home. As Myles said....break-in is overrated.

I am in the same boat as you iyamdman, I want to change my speakers out as well. I know I can go with 6.5" around; which I did in MY04 WRX. In my REX I went with Momo components in front and MB Quarts in the rear. The problem is I had no amp and the power was way down, even with a aftermarket radio (Pioneer Premier 7500).

I would like to put some good sounding 6.5" in the doors without the need of a amp.

Any suggestions>????

Look at a basic replacement type speaker....Boston Acoustics RX series is a good choice, but less efficient than stock. The CX series will have stock like efficiency, but not the same sound quality.

I will let Manville or others comment about the JL stuff....my product knowledge is rusty for JL, but I know they have similar offerings. Generally speaking, the better sounding speakers need an amp.

:eek:

It takes 80 hours for your ears and brain to become accustomed to the way they sound, maybe?

Speaker break-in is somewhat of a myth... it's not as significant as people make it out to be. The suspension stiffness settles after only a few hours of rigorous use and doesn't really deviate too much from as-new spec. You get bigger variations from temperature extremes than you do from whether the speaker is broken in for weeks.

The whole thing started in home audio when the customer called the store saying he hooked up his new speakers and they don't sound like they did in the store... so the salesman would tell him that they "needed to break in" instead of explaining that the listening room had a huge impact. The customer then listens for weeks, gets used to the sound and decides to keep them... The power of psychology in action. :)

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

The voice of reason rings out! You are so right, Sahib! Now, please tote your observations on this topic over to Audiogon.com and make a couple of inflammatory posts (or even repost this one!) in the chat forums. You'll only need one or two trolling remarks before the tweakheads will be buzzing like angry yellowjackets for days! It'll be almost pay-per-view material. Go, Manville!

My problem is that the $27k I want to spend to upgrade my $27k car is not quite all in my pocket yet. :redface:

This means I will need to take it in smaller steps.

This means for Audio, spending $1000.

I figure $400 for Clean Sweep, and $600 for Speakers, install and acoustics.

As I remember, Clean Sweep has a pre-amp in it.

Does that help make the speakers upgrades sound better, beyond what Clean Sweep normally does?

Well are you talking about the stockers or after market? I mean the stockers the sound qulity is ok for the occ. poping and hissing anynone paper cone and tweeter will take care of that.I mean if you are looking high end jl, ads,mb quarts, diamond audio, and that other front that going for like 3,000 to 5,000 dollars.........

What do you mean by effecient??

Efficiency is the output you get from a watt of input. The more efficient the speaker, the louder it plays. This is not an absolute though - it has alot to do with the dynamic capability of amplifier as well.

Generally speaking, if you are sticking with stock power, you shouldn't get the most expensive speakers you can find because they typically have better quality crossover components which sound better but are not as efficient. At that level, it's assumed you are using outboard amplification.

That being said, pretty much anything you get will be an improvement on the stock speakers. The Alpines that Scans007 used have a good rep, as do Boston Acoustics, JL Audio, MBQuart, Infinity,etc.

So any ideas on what the stock efficiency is?

No idea, but given the typical I/C power the Matsushita radio has, they have to be fairly efficient. Certainly in excess of 94db. For those who are concerned about SQ over SPL, this wouldn't be an issue.

:eek:

The voice of reason rings out! You are so right, Sahib! Now, please tote your observations on this topic over to Audiogon.com and make a couple of inflammatory posts (or even repost this one!) in the chat forums. You'll only need one or two trolling remarks before the tweakheads will be buzzing like angry yellowjackets for days! It'll be almost pay-per-view material. Go, Manville!

Oh, I know better than to argue with the propellerheads on the audiophile forums. I'd rather hang out with you guys. :D

So any ideas on what the stock efficiency is?

I haven't measured it, but it's probably in the 90-91dB 1W/1m zone. The stock speakers are more efficient than just about any aftermarket replacement I can think of. It's hard to trust efficiency specs, because speaker manufacturers play all sorts of games with this spec. You see 2.83 volt @ 1W/1m ratings (which is 2 watts on a 4 ohm speaker, inflating efficiency by 3dB). You see 0.5 meter ratings, which inflates efficiency by 6 dB and just flat out BS ratings.

I don't think you will find any aftermarket speaker of comparable size that is more efficient than the stock units. They may sound a lot better, but they won't play any louder with the same power.

My problem is that the $27k I want to spend to upgrade my $27k car is not quite all in my pocket yet. :redface:

This means I will need to take it in smaller steps.

This means for Audio, spending $1000.

I figure $400 for Clean Sweep, and $600 for Speakers, install and acoustics.

As I remember, Clean Sweep has a pre-amp in it.

Does that help make the speakers upgrades sound better, beyond what Clean Sweep normally does?

There's no sense in buying a CleanSweep unless you are adding an aftermarket amplifier... the unit is designed to interface with aftermarket amplifiers only.

With a $1000.00 budget, you should buy a simple LOC to step down the outputs of the OEM radio (about $30.00), a good 4, 5 or 6 channel amplifier (anywhere from $300-$500) and an excellent pair of 6.5-inch coaxes (about $300.00) for the front doors (leave the rears stock for now), and a simple subwoofer setup (about $200.00). Then add the CleanSweep when you have the extra cash to clean up the factory radio EQ and add and aux. source.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Archived