LegacyGT.com

don't know if this has been covered yet...

...but with the inception of the new 'corporate face' coming on the '06 models of the WRX, how long do you think until it bleeds over to the legacy? as it stands now, i think the front end of the legacy looks great the way it is. that being said, i can't picture the legacy with 'the new look'.

discuss.

Do we have a pic of the 06 WRX?

As for the legacy, some here have surmised an '07 model year freshening (especially considering that the B4/Wagon have been in the far east since late 03/04. it will be ready for an update in MY'07)

I would figure it would get the corporate face then, UNLESS.... the corporate face gets a truly horrible reaction, then i can see it getting a freshening like the 06 Forester, which is NOT on the corportate "airplane face."

We'll see how it does on the 06 WRX. I personally think it will be worse than the fabled "bugeye" reaction. (I never minded the bugeye models, aside from the ultracheap interior. I like the fit and finish of the later models better, but the blob-headlights are no better nor worse thant the bugeyes.)

Edit: Here are a couple of pics I came across:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-wrx-06-sti-1.JPGhttp://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-wrx-06-sti-2.JPGhttp://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-wrx-06-sti-3.JPG

http://www.visual-assault.org/~eclip5e/wrx/archives/2006sti.jpg

the first and last ones obviously have photochopped legacy headlights.

Personally, I like the third blue one, with the gently flared fenders, and the headlights above the "wings" B9-style. I still don't like the center grille. As an englishman might say, "It's gone all pear-shaped."

At least the alfas have a triangle that points down, which is slightly more elegant and agressive than a rounded shape tapering upward.

http://www.allsportauto.com/photoautre5/alfaromeo/brera/2002_alfa_romeo_brera_32_m.jpg

It was the bugeyes on the earlier WRXs that kept me away from it. Finally it has gotten respectable looking, and then they pull crap like the '06. I'm sure some people will like it and be all over it. What is the point of having all the power in the world under the hood if the exterior makes you sick? I hate that grille and the tail lights are awful. What's with the itsybitsy tail lights? And why does it have Legacy headlights? Man, if that is the direction that Subaru is going, then I'm glad I've got an 05 Legacy and I didn't wait for them to F it all up.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I agree its not too pretty. I have always thought the older pre 02 RS2.5 Impreza had the best look. I didnt mind the 02-03 WRX (owned one) but really dont like the 04-05 and now the this.... nasty

Love my LGT though

The only thing faster than the 06 STi is going to be me running away from it. lol If it is possible (and it is) to get my car to perform as well as the 06 STi without all the laughs I'd get at the track, then I'll stick to my car. I'd rather be fast and styling than just fast.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

In that first post with pics, the upper left pic of the blue STi actually looks pretty good imo, but the taillights are too small and not to proportion. My opinion of the large pic with grey is the same as everyone elses.

I would give it atleast one more year before suaru changed the face of the legacy. The bugeye WRX was in the US for 2 years before the facelift.

The bugeye was hated especially in Japan where it counts the most and it showed thru the sales figures. Judging by the sales on the new Legacy it may live past 2 years before getting a new face lift.

Regardless, I shouldn't have to buy a car and thinking to myself the first thing I want to replace is the god awful grille.

I don't like the look of the new STI at all. It's too busy! Way too much lines and curves. One reason I don't find the Mazda 6 attractive is because it seemed like the engineers who designed it got clay happy. I really appreciate cars that have sleek and simple designs.

YourUsername,

You have just hit the nail of classic design (regardless of forum) on the head.

It is easy to get carried away and delineate everything with lines and cuts and flares and strakes... First instinct of designers is, when it isn't quite what you want, Add more.

The classiest and most timeless designs are actually deceptively simple. The 911 for instance. Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Ferrari have been holding that philosophy for decades. Porsche have all but single-handedly defined it.

Pick up a classic car magazine sometime. Look through it. Classic cars are simpler design-wise, and more of them were classically beautiful. I think comparatively few cars from the modern era will reach that status in the future, but there are a few.

Compound curves and organic flowing lines are becoming harder to come by on new cars. When designers try, they come up with either tradgedies like the oval ford taurus, or ripoffs of old design themes like the chrysler lineup.

It is amazing, when it comes to designing cars, how hard of a time designers have just following KISS. Keep it Simple, Stupid.

That is why the new Impreza doesn't work. It is trying to put an organic (B9X) slightly retro front end with a questionable element (the center of the grille) on an otherwise post modern and somewhat more "angle and circle" geometric car.

The wing aspect of the new corporate face is not bad. I just don't like the egg-shaped fuselage part. The thing is, the graceful lines in the "wings" needs a flowing and graceful design to the rest of the body, not a blocky little sedan like the WRX.

If the chief designer is a former Alfa designer, then why not infuse some Italian style in the rest of the car, instead of slapping a nose on the existing car?

Archived