LegacyGT.com

Sunroof won't close...reverses at end of travel

Anybody here have this happen before ? Tried closing it from full open.....it stops half-way like it's supposed to.....press the close button again.....and instead of closing all the way , it stops an eighth of an inch before the end and reverses to halfway point again !

(After multiple attempts it finally closed.........now I'm afraid to ever open it again ! )

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

It happened to me about two years ago. Brought it to the dealership 5 minutes before it closed on a Friday where I was leaving to go out of town that Saturday morning.

Don't know what they did to fix it. Hasn't happened since.

check if there is anything blocking. That little stopper fell out of place once. The one that stops the sunroof cover from closing too far. I found that in the track at the end oddly. That may have fell out and slipped into your track.

If you've checked the track already for any obstructions, then iunno. =[

Subaru sunroof mechanism is flimsy so quite easy to have problems ... one of reason I bought Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty 7yr/100k/ded$100 at $1,200 ... I heard that it costs like $1,200 for the sunroof repair.

yeah. i've had that issue.. seemed like the little thing that seems like a deflector at the front of the sunroof opening(when you have it open) was not going down all the way.

i assume the sunroof has a sensor in which if it senses it is blocked, it will open back up.

i looked at it and tried pushing the deflector down a few times and closed the sunroof like that. that reminds me... i dont think i greased it afterwards

Thanks for the replies guys ! (and so quick too!). I'm going to check for the "little stopper" today.....and get some grease ready to put on those ramped metal side pieces on that bar the glass rides over while closing.

It's good to see I'm not the only one that has had this issue.

If all else fails......I'll bring it to Subaru (I have the gold extended too---money very well spent!)

Thanks again :) :) :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

• 4 years later...

I had it happen briefly ('05 wagon) when my daughter played with the headliner cover and jammed something (I don't think this was the only problem). Rubber trim piece joining the front deflector and frame got stuck, and something snapped.

Also ended up breaking one of the resin rods. When the front part of the resin rod connection jammed into the front of the track, it did this. After pulling out the front clip, it seems to work as before, except that the deflector no longer goes up and down, just stays down.

I'm going to try to get a resin rod replacement (there's a TSB about this - search), and just leave it as is. I don't use the sunroof that much, and the deflector going up and down isn't worth $1K to me..

Anyone know if there's a cheaper fix for just the deflector?

• 5 months later...
check if there is anything blocking. That little stopper fell out of place once. The one that stops the sunroof cover from closing too far. I found that in the track at the end oddly. That may have fell out and slipped into your track.

If you've checked the track already for any obstructions, then iunno. =[

This exact thing happened to me. For some reason, it took me a while to figure it out. I guess the rubber stopper blended in with the track and I assumed it was supposed to be there.

IMG_20150419_175025607_HDR.thumb.jpg.13872f99cc0e2ff3c674f369bcbc7682.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
I'm going to try to get a resin rod replacement (there's a TSB about this - search), and just leave it as is. I don't use the sunroof that much, and the deflector going up and down isn't worth $1K to me..

Yooooooo ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

Long story short, my LGT sunroof has failed. Resin rod broke, but I haven't checked for blockage yet. Will do. If possible, could you link to the TSB? I did search, which is how I found this thread, and I'll search now on that TSB. But just in case I come up blank. TIA!!