LegacyGT.com

Suspension Clunk

Legacy05

I know there are threads about this already, just had a few questions. My car was recently lowered about a month or so ago with iON Performance springs, my buddy and I made sure we torqued all the bolts to spec as close as we could. I then took the car in about a week later for an alignment. When I am backing out of my driveway and I turn, when I roll over the curb while turning there is a "clunk" type of noise coming from up front somewhere. Now it doesn't happen all the time either, like this morning. The noise can be heard mainly when I am turning, and it seems to be more when I am making right hand turns. Now, as far as changing the springs, I also changed the endlinks to the AVO ones. So I don't know if there is a connection there or not. Should I make an apt with the dealer, and take some of the threads in on things for them to look at, such as the control arm bolt, sub-frame bolts, etc. To make sure they are in spec.

When I am driving down the road straight, there is no noise (clunk) and parked if I push on my car there is no noise, so I am not sure if the noise is related to the springs/shocks or not ...

Thanks!

My car is stock, save a 20mm RSB and AVO bushings and I get this noise on occassion as well. Did you do something with the front sway? The bracket for the bushing maybe torqued too tight, or the grease is gone. Seems to be my issue.

Hmm, I am wondering if it is indeed something with the endlinks possibly, I am using the AVO one's .. and when I tighted them down I didn't use an allen to help. Which I probably should have done, I might switch over to the stock endlinks to see if that fixes the problem.

Good point ... I will try trouble shooting this myself ... I am going to jack up the right side of the car tomorrow after work to check out the springs. I will then re-adjust the endlinks to be sure they are on and tightened down correctly. Thanks for the comments!

I recently put the STi "pink" springs, Perrin front swaybar, JDM OEM rear swaybar and Perrin front and rear endlinks and after a few days I also had a "clunk" sound coming from the front passenger side and had to readjust the rubber mount that is under the top hat that the coil springs seat against. On top of the spring there is a rubber mount (sorry I don't know the name of the part) but it is oblong shaped. It wasn't on the top of the spring correctly and everytime I hit a bump it would "clunk". I dropped the strut out again and realigned the mount and everything is perfect no "clunk". Sounds like the same problem you guys are having. Good luck. :lol:

i have been fighting the clunk on my progress springs for about 2 weeks

i think that i finnaly found it this weekend

the curved washer that goes inbetween the strut top and top hat can bind on the shaft enough that you can torque the top nut but loose enought to clunk around

so disassemble the strut

compress the spring with the top hat untill its all the way down (have buddy hold it pain in the ass if you do it your self -i know)

then add washer

then add top hat

hand tighten nut till all the way compressed then torque

I can be there again at 8AM :) The car was recently aligned, so I'll be sure to grab a good marker so we can make sure it is aligned correctly. Poopy. I guess I'll rent the spring compressor Thursday/Friday. I'll let corporate know today ... thanks!!!!

I recently put the STi "pink" springs, Perrin front swaybar, JDM OEM rear swaybar and Perrin front and rear endlinks and after a few days I also had a "clunk" sound coming from the front passenger side and had to readjust the rubber mount that is under the top hat that the coil springs seat against. On top of the spring there is a rubber mount (sorry I don't know the name of the part) but it is oblong shaped. It wasn't on the top of the spring correctly and everytime I hit a bump it would "clunk". I dropped the strut out again and realigned the mount and everything is perfect no "clunk". Sounds like the same problem you guys are having. Good luck. :lol:

I haven't touched my struts. :confused:

If you take it to the dealer all he will say is “your warranty is void on the suspension and it will be $98 an hour to look at it with a 2 hr min.”

That all depends upon your dealer's attitude towards mods. My local Subie dealer is way cool about it - although he does what he must in terms of warranty voiding.

But when I developed a clunking sound after installing Perrin sways & endlinks, he had his best mechanic put it up on the lift to check it out. He re-greased all the bushings and the links. He told me the end link was rubbing the sway bar.

Took it down off the lift, had it washed and gave her back to me without charging me a dime!

Archived