LegacyGT.com

JL W3s - Advice?

emlevins

Hey Guys,

I am awaiting the Cleansweep and will be reinstalling my aftermarket speakers and amps. I am currently running an SAS bazooka tube-like sub mounted in the trunk running off a separate Coustic PowerLogic multichannel amp (I've had this setup for quite awhile in three cars - sounds the worst in the LGT - though perhaps it will improve with Cleansweep).

A guy is selling used JL W3 12" subs for $175 (with box) and $125 (without box). I've seen several folks on the board who speak highly of these.

Question(s):

Is this a good deal?

Would it offer a significant upgrade over the tube sub I am currently running?

Where could they be mounted and do they require a box?

I assume one would do?

Thanks in advance for advice.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Emlevins - how many 12W3's? They typically are used in sets of three, to give a 4 ohm mono load on your amplifier. If it is a pair, things get interesting and you need a serious amp to make it work or have them in a box that has a divider (3 ohm stereo on the amp).

The W3's are available in Dual 2 ohm, Dual 4 ohm and Dual 6 ohm version, so amp compatibility will vary depending on the specific W3 you are using.

I'm not surprised your bass tube sounds really bad in the LGT... The factory EQ curve applies significant boost in the upper region of the sub-bass (around 60-100 Hz) and cuts low bass below 40 Hz. It's hard to know whether a used subwoofer has been abused or not, so be wary of buying used... no other car audio product receives as much abuse as a subwoofer, typically. You might be surprised how much better the little bass tube sounds after CleanSweep gets rid of the hideous bass bump in the factory system.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Emlevins - how many 12W3's? They typically are used in sets of three, to give a 4 ohm mono load on your amplifier. If it is a pair, things get interesting and you need a serious amp to make it work or have them in a box that has a divider (3 ohm stereo on the amp).

PGT - he has three for sale so I assume he used them in sets of three as you suggested. I didn't realize thats how they were configured. Also, if it will require another amp because the one I have dedicated to the sub would not be adequate, it gets more complicated and costly.

As Manville infers, I might be better off holding off and trying the tube sub I have with the Cleansweep. I'm no bass freak and the tube sub has always been adequate for my purposes in other vehicles (WRX, Talon). My installer even commented that it was the best tube sub he had heard. It has proven to be plenty powerful, just not quite as tight as I would like (but, I can live with it). However, in the LGT, it is muddy as hell and not nearly as loud or powerful as it was in my other vehicles.

I'll probably hold off.

Thanks for the information gentlemen. I appreciate it.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

It

really depends on what power you are pushing to the sub. I had 3 10inc tubes in my hatch back and some orion amps 250 hcca red amp and it was loud, But you have to think about your back seat does not come down just that little hole that you can get long shit in...

Some tips about buying used subwoofers - always check the surround and cone for damage. It's an all too common occurrence to 'port' the woofer while installing them in the enclosure when you your drill slips. A little silicone fixes it, but something to look out for. Having the drivers out of the enclosure is a must to inspect them for damage - see if the voicecoil is still attached to the spider. Test the movement of the woofer through it's range.....crunchy = toasted V.C.

go get kickers...

those are VERY cheap though, get them and sell them on ebay, then

get kickers.

I have a 6" Kicker in my Passat right now and I'm wondering if I can use it instead of paying for the Subaru subwoofer.

anyone know if it can be done without any extra modification?

Archived