LegacyGT.com

Legacy CEL coming on when warm

Hi,

I have a problem I cant isolate. Car is a 96 2.5 n/a Auto Legacy. It will rum sweet when first started from cold and no CEL showing. Performance is fine for about 10 or so minutes of driving till it gets to a normal operating temp and then CEL comes on and power falls to about half.Then you have to leave it till its totally cold for the CEL to clear.I have removed and cleaned the IAC plus resealed it.Same with the PCV and MAF.I have checked all the connectors for loose wires etc. I have checked vacumn hoses for leaks. Plus I've cleaned the fuel filter and checked the pump in the tank. Its also had new spark plugs and ignition leads.

it sounds like overheating what time did you last change the oil?

and is the temp gauge working and in the normal operating temp when the CEL comes on?

you could do a coolant flush aswell as an oil change to help cool the system better...

But you really should get the code read at an autosource for free, or buy a scanner for like 70 bones and never pay for a diagnostic again.

Thanks for the fast replies.Yeah mate its had some serious work done on engine,new headgaskets,timing belt,plus fresh antifreeze and new oil/oil filter plus air cleaner on top of previous stuff listed.So it doesnt overheat and uses no water (well not anymore.) Up until the CEL comes on it goes like a cut cat so its really frustrating when it plays up.

I'm looking for someone with an OBD2 code reader but not so easy round here to find anything like that without putting myself at the mercy of a mechanic.They will read the code if they get to work on it (here its a lottery whether you get a good one,more likely its a trainee if you own an older car.) Oh well,if its got tits or wheels it will cost you money. Sounds like I might have to bite the bullet and buy a code reader.I am currently a broke assed IT student so it just seems like more money down the black hole lately. I'm having to drive my other car 130km round trip to class everyday while this ones out of action which is not ideal as fuel here in NZ is about $1.80 a litre and its a 4.0 V8.Ouch!

Im not sure if any do but as its not registered while its being fixed I have to be careful not to get a ticket driving around with it.It will cost the price of 4 code readers if i get snapped by the cops.They take all the fun out of life.I will just sell one of my kidneys or some other non vital organ that isnt doing much.

If it's a case of suddenly coming on and going away when it's cold I would suspect that there is a sensor that causes the trouble.

Camshaft/crankshaft position sensor or temperature sensor for the ECU are some of the suspects.

Check electrical connectors too if you haven't done that so that they are free of oxides and also that they aren't damaged.

453747.png

Archived