LegacyGT.com

first time logging, not sure what to make of it (hows my car look?)

blinger

started logging on my way to the highway then did a 3rd gear pull. I'm a complete noob when it comes to logging so any help would be greatly appreciated. Would really appreciate if someone could take a look at my log and tell me what they think or what I should change.

I just got back, still sitting in the car lol.. here is the file.

05 legacy

spt intake

invidia catless up

(mods by prev. owner)

romraiderlog_20100522_125741.csv

romraiderlog_20100522_163902.csv

romraiderlog_20100522_164044.csv

romraiderlog_20100522_164224.csv

romraiderlog_20100522_132556.csv

There are some good lists of stuff to log on romraider and in some of the tuning threads. I don't know if you have done the learning view program or not, but get it off the romraider site and use it. It is a great tool.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

Check out my thread (weird logging numbers). There are many great links from romraider that you MUST read prior to asking for help. The guys on here are more interested in helping you (and they will gladly) once you've got the basics understood. Read the links and you'll be fine.

On that note, I'll read your logs and tell you what I think (i'm no expert)

You're logging way more than you need to be. Cut some stuff out to increase the sample rate for everything else.

Log this:

Engine speed

Engine load 2-byte

IAM

Ignition Total Timing

Knock Sum

Relative Manifold Pressure (4-byte)

Mass Airflow g/s

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle

Throttle Opening Angle %

Oh, and post up your LV screenshot!

You're logging way more than you need to be. Cut some stuff out to increase the sample rate for everything else.

Log this:

Engine speed

Engine load 2-byte

IAM

Ignition Total Timing

Knock Sum

Relative Manifold Pressure (4-byte)

Mass Airflow g/s

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle

Throttle Opening Angle %

Oh, and post up your LV screenshot!

thanks for the post. I was just reading about what I should be logging. Those logs are my first logs ever, before reading about anything except how to get the generic vag-com cable to work.

I'll try to get some better logs in the AM.

thanks for the post. I was just reading about what I should be logging. Those logs are my first logs ever, before reading about anything except how to get the generic vag-com cable to work.

I'll try to get some better logs in the AM.

Sounds good. What kind of Stage 1 tune are you running? You may want to consider a custom tune.

Sounds good. What kind of Stage 1 tune are you running? You may want to consider a custom tune.

nooo clue what kind of tune is on here http://smiliesftw.com/x/embarasseddance.gif

Bought the car from a dealer, was fortunate enough to find the previous owner on facebook. We spoke briefly and he mentioned the car now running a stage 1 tune. I would love to get a custom tune setup for this car. What is the cheapest/easiest way to obtain a good custom tune? Infamous?

nooo clue what kind of tune is on here http://smiliesftw.com/x/embarasseddance.gif

Bought the car from a dealer, was fortunate enough to find the previous owner on facebook. We spoke briefly and he mentioned the car now running a stage 1 tune. I would love to get a custom tune setup for this car. What is the cheapest/easiest way to obtain a good custom tune? Infamous?

Infamous1 is a great tuner. Ran into some problems with my tune and he has stuck with me the whole way. 311logan311 is a tuner local to me and it seems like he does a good job as well.

If you want to, use ecuflash and copy/save the rom image and I can have a look. I bet it's a generic OS map.

Infamous1 is a great tuner. Ran into some problems with my tune and he has stuck with me the whole way. 311logan311 is a tuner local to me and it seems like he does a good job as well.

If you want to, use ecuflash and copy/save the rom image and I can have a look. I bet it's a generic OS map.

sweet.. gonna start saving my pennies now so I can start working with Infamous.

Lookout for a lot of data later today.

How long after an ECU reset should I wait before taking an LV screen short or start logging the car? I'm guessing the ECU needs to learn some things before the data is accurate.

After resetting the ECU you need time for IAM to climb to 1.0. My car goes straight to 1.0 as soon as I find an on-ramp and give it some throttle. Others take longer. It might help to put RR in the passenger seat with IAM open on the dashboard tab and glance at it periodically to see when / what it takes to get to 1.0.

There's also a table in RR that you can also tweak so that IAM will start at 1.0 after a reset.

You can log right away after IAM goes to 1.0. It takes a while for Learning View's "AF Learning" values to settle in though. The D trim in particular takes dedication or lots of time since it's hard to be in closed-loop fueling at more than 40 g/s for more than a few seconds, unless you have some long steep hills / mountains.

okay.. here are 2 LV screen shots. The first one was taken yesterday/day before while I was making those logs posted above. The second screenshot was taken just now. I reset my ECU this morning before making an 8-10 mile trip home.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/154917/LearningView_SS_5-22-2010%205%2048%2012%20PM.jpg

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/154918/LearningView_SS_5-24-2010%207%2059%2052%20AM.jpg

Unfortunately, my laptop's battery shit the bed and doesn't hold a charge unless i'm plugged into the wall for power, so I won't have updated logs for a few days.

Your manual says 91 or higher as I noted in one of your other threads...

You bought a boosted car, that means you need to run 91-93 octane especially if you beat on it. It comes with the territory. Also being "stage 1" if you are hitting 16lbs of boost then 93 is almost necessary and not optional.

Trust me it hurts a bit, I went from a 95 Beretta running on 87 all day long and would get 22-24mpg, and now I have this, granted if I'm granny I can get the same mileage if not way better, BUT the gas is a bit more expensive. It's worth it though.

also, I've only been running 89. Not sure if that could be why or not. I'd prefer to run 89 over 93 due to price, but if I must.. then 93 it is. (gas)

That explains the majority of your problem. Burn up all of that 89 and put in some 93, drive for a bit, then do another reset. Then do some driving and post up some LV screenshots again.

You should only be running 89 if you're tuned for it (but why would you want to?)

P.S. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? You'd probably get better MPG by using the fuel you're supposed to.

thanks for the suggestion. I figured it was fuel related. Sucks I just filled it up not to long ago haha

I seem to be getting around 250 miles give or take on 1 tank of gas. Damn thing takes over $40 to fill up now. http://smiliesftw.com/x/wtchs.gif

What kind of gas mileage are you guys seeing?

thanks for the suggestion. I figured it was fuel related. Sucks I just filled it up not to long ago haha

I seem to be getting around 250 miles give or take on 1 tank of gas. Damn thing takes over $40 to fill up now. http://smiliesftw.com/x/wtchs.gif

What kind of gas mileage are you guys seeing?

Well i'm running a backup tune (not the most efficient right now), and i'm probably getting around 23mpg combined.

also, I've only been running 89. Not sure if that could be why or not. I'd prefer to run 89 over 93 due to price, but if I must.. then 93 it is. (gas)

I've wondered what would happen on 89, but wasn't about to try it with my own car. Now we know - it pulls about half of the dynamic advance. Part of the problem is that your engine had to experience a fair amount of detonation for that to happen. The other part of the problem is that your ECU will periodically add timing back until detonation comes back, then it will pull timing again.

If you really want to experiment, run it that way for a year or two, then pull the motor apart and show us the pistons. I am curious how much damage that sort of intermittent detonation will cause. You may not be saving money in the long run.

I've wondered what would happen on 89, but wasn't about to try it with my own car. Now we know - it pulls about half of the dynamic advance. Part of the problem is that your engine had to experience a fair amount of detonation for that to happen. The other part of the problem is that your ECU will periodically add timing back until detonation comes back, then it will pull timing again.

If you really want to experiment, run it that way for a year or two, then pull the motor apart and show us the pistons. I am curious how much damage that sort of intermittent detonation will cause. You may not be saving money in the long run.

:yeahthat:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived