LegacyGT.com

Changed Coolant. Coolant smell ever since.

I changed my coolant for 30k service. Burped it a few times. Coolant is at upper level line in the reservoir whenever the car is cool. However, I smell coolant after every drive. I have hosed off the motor and radiator several times, but the smell persists when the engine heats up. Thoughts?

Had a similar issue from new on my 2009 lgt. Dealer (Heuberger in Colorado Springs; SUPER FANTASTIC dealer!) found the issue immediately with a coolant system pressure test. There is another coolant reservoir back by the turbo (for the turbo) that has a cap that was leaking a bit. I do not know if the 07 and 09 are the same, but this could be the culprit.

Did you burp the system from the turbo reservoir? The air will all escape from there since its the highest point. I have an extra cap laying around too if you need one. Let me know.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I had this happen with my GTO. I found out later that there were some foam pieces around outside of the radiator (top and bottom) that became soaked with coolant when I drained the radiator. After the coolant change I smelled antifreeze everytime the car would get warmed up. It took about a month for all that coolant in the foam to burn off. It might just be some residual antifreeze somewhere in your engine compartment that needs time to burn off.

Archived