LegacyGT.com

Got my Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212's!!!

Saul_Good

So far the turning and braking is so much better than those crappy stockers. The real test is next weekend's auto-x. I'll keep u guys posted on that. But overall im excited. The guy at Discount Tire took off an additional 45bux from the total price too. Pays to ask. Ok im done bein a dork.

I was REALLY surprised at how many cars were running the new Hankooks at todays AutoX. I think it did alright on a friends car. Perhaps not quite as good as an Azenis, but decent none-the-less. I think there were probably almost as many running the new Hankooks as the Azenis (only one car on new RT-615 Azenis.)

After running another race event I think I'm gonna stick with 17's in a wider wheel size, unfortunately I won't be able to stick with the Hankooks as they just aren't made in 245/40R-17. The more I push the GT, the more I realize I need more turn ability and I badly need some camber adjustment!

The "slow" tire of the bunch for street touring now is the Kumho MX.. Let us know about the heat, sidewall feel, pressure build-up, road conditions, and compound wear as you drive the event, thanks.

Sube555, dont let the size fool you, it's very possible that the 225/45/17 may be built as wide as typical 245 wide tire.. I know the Azenis are built WAY larger than a typical 225 (Ask DriftMonkey, he can DEFINITELY tell you his 225/40/18 are not really 225 wide). If you ever get the chance to compare a 225 Azenis vs. a 245 Kumho MX, they are almost the same size in width (scary stuff).

Keefe

Keefe

True. I need to look at the dims they give more than just the sizes. Hmm, maybe I should just caugh up for Azenis. :lol: Dangit, such a predicatment! Maybe I should just buy like 5 different sets so I get everything I want. :lol:

buy a used set of Azenis RT-215s... lately, I've been asking around for used tires from other autoxers and tire shops and they just sell the tires with enough tread on them for at least another 3 to 5 events on them along with at least 5k miles worth of driving on them all for less than half of the original new price. Just look for shoulder wear and compound hardness.. some tires went through one too many heat cycles.

Keefe

Keefe

Franz I still beat you on my Proxes 4's in a wagon and without that up-pipe. ;) Shoulda stuck around so I coulda test drove the 070's and whipped out a 71 or 72. :D

Hey, at least I beat one EVO by a little bit, but I told Mike he wasn't as willing to beat on his car as I was mine. :p I took second in ESP.

I just looked at the Azenis RT-615 in 225/45R-17 and 225/40R-18 (as DM runs) and the 225 rubber in both sizes is an 8.3" tread width. Stock 215/45R-17 is I think like 7.1" tread width. So I'd have like 117% of the OE contact patch but with much stickier rubber too. Stock Azenis is 25lbs in 17" and 24lbs in 18". Biggest thing is holding in sweepers and braking where it's easy to get off line or overdrive with less grippy rubber.

For comparison sake the Hankook Ventus R-S2 is 8" tread width for both sizes. Weights are 22.5lbs for both aparently. I think they stuck alright on a friend's car, but that was a WRX Sedan, which weighs 250lbs less and the Hankooks don't come in a wider 25" OD tire unfortunately like 235 or 245 making a measurable difference in size and traction area.

Keefe, does the load rating have any effect on how much a tire sidewall will flex and it's construction.

I just looked at the Azenis RT-615 in 225/45R-17 and 225/40R-18 (as DM runs) and the 225 rubber in both sizes is an 8.3" tread width. Stock 215/45R-17 is I think like 7.1" tread width. So I'd have like 117% of the OE contact patch but with much stickier rubber too. Stock Azenis is 25lbs in 17" and 24lbs in 18". Biggest thing is holding in sweepers and braking where it's easy to get off line or overdrive with less grippy rubber.

For comparison sake the Hankook Ventus R-S2 is 8" tread width for both sizes. Weights are 22.5lbs for both aparently. I think they stuck alright on a friend's car, but that was a WRX Sedan, which weighs 250lbs less and the Hankooks don't come in a wider 25" OD tire unfortunately like 235 or 245 making a measurable difference in size and traction area.

Keefe, does the load rating have any effect on how much a tire sidewall will flex and it's construction.

While they may have the same tread width the 18 sized 225 has a 9.3" sectional width (made to fit on 18x8)....big difference for to 17's 8.9" (made to fit on 7.5)....

It's slightly larger, but their specs aren't even out on the size yet on the site! 235/40R-17 is TECHNICALLY supposed to be the same OD as a 215/45R-17 of the same make. At least that's how they work.

Dangit, I can't find a wheel I REALLY want on the car. I wanted Tarmac II's, but if 18x8 is optimal as wider will allow for a more square sidewall hence better fittment and handling, I'd have to spend about another $500 on Prodrive PFF-7's and not get the color I want. Oh decisions, decisions. I think I'll just continue to be indecisive about being indecisive. :lol:

I'll bite the bullet one of these days.

It's slightly larger, but their specs aren't even out on the size yet on the site! 235/40R-17 is TECHNICALLY supposed to be the same OD as a 215/45R-17 of the same make. At least that's how they work.

Dangit, I can't find a wheel I REALLY want on the car. I wanted Tarmac II's, but if 18x8 is optimal as wider will allow for a more square sidewall hence better fittment and handling, I'd have to spend about another $500 on Prodrive PFF-7's and not get the color I want. Oh decisions, decisions. I think I'll just continue to be indecisive about being indecisive. :lol:

I'll bite the bullet one of these days.

Um....yes they do...http://www.falkentire.com/615micro.htm

Azenis sidewalls run extra tall as well...

Franz I still beat you on my Proxes 4's in a wagon and without that up-pipe. ;) Shoulda stuck around so I coulda test drove the 070's and whipped out a 71 or 72. :D

Hey, at least I beat one EVO by a little bit, but I told Mike he wasn't as willing to beat on his car as I was mine. :p I took second in ESP.

Yeah I had to get going since I went back to Madison that evening. I think I'm improving though. I guess I'll see as the autox season goes on.. That course at FVSCC was so wacky. :lol: The Madison autocross today was a piece of cake compared to the FVSCC one. It was fun except for the part when a car leaked oil on most of the track. But, the workers cleaned it up well. I didn't look at my times, so I'll have to check those online. I definitely need to work on driving through the slaloms..

Usually not, as the actual height of the sidewall really determines the load rating. You can really add more or less reinforcements to the side wall, but that doesnt really tell if those reinforcements are stiffening the sidewall as a side effect. Think of metal vs. bondo on body work.. you can lay as much fiberglass you want, but one sheet of metal can do the same amount of work to hold something up. The strength or integrity will depend on the size or amount of reinforcement used to determine the load rating, but if the reinforcement is soft itself, well, you'll still have a soft sidewall.

Compare the same size tire from two different companies and similar tire makes. You'll see that there will be some differences in the load rating, but not much.. but most people will tell you that driving the tires have a different feel to them.

Keefe

Keefe

i know its an odd size, but wouldnt 235 be an option for people who want more patch than 225 but cant fit 245? thats how im looking at it but i could be wrong? i know 245 won't fit on my car without some fender rolling.

Kenda

Contact isn't the only issue, it's the rim you put it on as well.. no sense of putting a 235" on a 7" wide when it makes more sense to sqaure off the tire with a 225 on a 7". Not to mention that some tires are built smaller or larger than the norm of their nominal size. Falken Azenis are built wider than what the actual tire size normally come in.

I can fit some 245s with coilovers and no fender rolling, it's your wheels with the correct offset that makes the world of a difference.

Keefe

Keefe

Contact isn't the only issue, it's the rim you put it on as well.. no sense of putting a 235" on a 7" wide when it makes more sense to sqaure off the tire with a 225 on a 7". Not to mention that some tires are built smaller or larger than the norm of their nominal size. Falken Azenis are built wider than what the actual tire size normally come in.

I can fit some 245s with coilovers and no fender rolling, it's your wheels with the correct offset that makes the world of a difference.

Keefe

i as thinking more 7.5-8" wheel width. i seriously don't think 245s would work on an '02 without some issues even with proper offset (i'm think suspension geometry wise, but as always i could be wrong). not to mention i don't want to pay for 245 series tires!!!

Kenda

Whatever you decide on Kenda, i look forward to chasing after you on the dragon this June.

heheh glad you will be there! i'll have my bars by then. no more of that nosense you saw last time!!

REM87O..yes in TN..HUGE SE meet (mainly nasioc) June 1-5th. probably won't run the actual dragon b/c of high bike traffic, but we are gonna run some other roads and the skyway and some gravel action, which i'm gonna get in on this time!! thought i posted about it...guess i'll have to get right on that!

Kenda

Archived