LegacyGT.com

Is the base Legacy worth $2000 more than base Camry?

isitsuby

FHI/SOA sourced automatic transmission parts from JATCO, which is a Nissan subsidiary, which has experience with CVTs and they have been good. According to all the info I have seen, Subaru's CVT was developed in-house. If it has any JATCO parts, it should be problem free. Not that JATCO has a perfect record but I wouldn't let the new CVT units be a deal breaker.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
go with wrx rather then lowest legacy

OP said he needs a family car. A WRX would be a tight fit for a kid seat (or 2) and a couple adults and all their things.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

I'm surprised at the 2k difference in quotes between the Camry and Legacy.

MSRP for base 2010 Camry MT is ~19.4k (USD). MSRP for base 2010 Legacy 2.5i MT is ~20k. Given the minor difference in destination charge and the greater popularity of the Camry, I would have guessed that the spread would be less than $500 between the two.

I realize that you're in Canada, but I'm still surprised that the price difference is that much greater. Perhaps the AWD benefits are of greater value in the northern latitudes. :)

Yes. The Toyotas are in a hurry to sell up because their 2011s are arriving already.

The Subys has low inventory and don't expect 2011s for a few more days.

I do not like being in a sellers market. But in this case I am in one.

So guys after nearly fixing the deal with the Toyota dealer, I ended up paying a deposit on the Legacy. It was still 2400 more

My wife justified it like this: +1000 for best IIHS and safecar.gov rating +1000 for AWD +500 because its its ALG ranking +500 cause it's cooler! - 500 because its reliability reputation is not as good as Camry's.

So there is it guys. At least that's the way we convinced ourselves.

So guys after nearly fixing the deal with the Toyota dealer, I ended up paying a deposit on the Legacy. It was still 2400 more

My wife justified it like this: +1000 for best IIHS and safecar.gov rating +1000 for AWD +500 because its its ALG ranking +500 cause it's cooler! - 500 because its reliability reputation is not as good as Camry's.

Congrats. I think you made the right choice!

Also, I think as soon as you guys start driving it more, you'll find that you will really enjoy this car.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am looking forward to getting the car. I am happy to see an enthusiastic owner community.

I see the car in the dealer lot, but apparently he takes 3 days to get the car "ready".

you forgot +500 because Subaru comes with friends :D

The cheapest leagcy quote I have is about $2000 more than the cheapest Camry quote.

I like the Suby better because it will help in winter, but I am having a hard time justifying a $2000 premium for it. My friend's Camry with winter tires does pretty well in the Winter, perhaps not as well as a suby. According to Car and Driver, the depreciation of a Camry is $1,385 while that of a Legacy is $2,875. But auto trader showed similar prices after a quick scan.

Has anyone faced a similar dilemma? Any suggestions?

Short & sweet - It's worth it

You realize it is only "reputation", right? If you are getting 2.5i, I can almost guarantee it will last as long as the camry (of course if you do the maintenance).

I have follow this thread all the way here, and decided to make a post. So I think you will be thankful that you bought the legacy for the snow (or rain), especially in Canada weather. You won't know it till the first snow it, and while everyone is struggling to get their cars out of the lot. You can just drive it out.

Oh did I mention going up a snowy hill with Subaru "legendary" AWD :rolleyes:

Should be +1000 for the legacy's cooler look and rarity, wish I have a wife with common sense like yours :lol:

(mine, personally just love the corolla too much:eek:)

Edit: congrat on your new leggy, if any question, just post here and a bunch of Subaru motorheads will show up right away !

I was rear-ended a few months back and the repair shop gave me a loaded Fusion as a loaner. I have to say that I was very impressed with the car. The 6 it came with is very responsive, and the interior had a nice feel to it (not that cheap, hard plastic like in the Chrysler products these days). I agree that this car is worth looking into as well.

Archived