LegacyGT.com

Is it okay to QD a lightly dusty car and then wax it?

I washed my car on Thursday, then on Friday after work it was SUPER dusty from the pollen. I figured I'd have to wash it, but I thought I'd try the California duster (someone gave me one). First time I ever used it. Just barely even let it touch the car (almost hovering) and it did a great job. I was thinking I'd QD afterwards, but there was no need.

Dusting off a clean car that just has some pollen or something on it is what quick detailers are meant for. I've always stressed out about doing that kind of thing becuase I don't think it is as safe as washing, but its probably just my paranoia. Just make sure your towel stays clean and you should be fine.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Also I have another question.

When the car is full of dust or that pollen stuff, should I dust it off with a clean microfiber cloth, then use a quick detailer. Or jut straight out use the quick detailer on the pollen?

Also I have another question.

When the car is full of dust or that pollen stuff, should I dust it off with a clean microfiber cloth, then use a quick detailer. Or jut straight out use the quick detailer on the pollen?

I would think you'd want to dust REALLY lightly if you wanted to do that. I've taken my car through a touchless because I wanted to QD it but I thought it was too dusty...

QD does equal Quick Detail. That Mr. Clean thing isn't good enough to deserve an acronym. ;)

The purpose of the QD is to lubricate between the towel and the car. There isn't any point in using it if there isn't dust on the car. Some QDs have some carnauba wax in them that will help with the shine, it which case you can use them on a clean car and see a difference. Those aren't used for dusting the car off though. At any rate, I wouldn't dry dust the car ever.

OCDETAILS BLOG

On a similar thread my car stays in the garage all the time and never sees rain so it's always dusty. How long does the wax last when a car never sees rain and gets washed very infrequently (maybe once a month). Can a standard wax job last a year or more? Will time actually degrade the wax?

Generally most waxes will last 4 to 6 weeks in normal conditions. A car that spends more time garaged will last longer and one that spends more time outside will last shorter. I don't know that wax will last for a year, but then I've never had the opportunity to test that theory. What you probably want to use is a sealant in a situation like that. Sealants don't break down on the surface nearly as fast as waxes do. Where a wax will last 4 to 6 weeks in normal conditions you can expect a sealant to last 10 to 12 weeks in the same environment. I do know people who have personally seen sealants last for a year in daily driver situations. Klasse and Zaino are the forerunners in that area. Durability is their middle name. Meguiar's #20 is another sealant that is incredibly durable. You can wax over them if you want that freshly detailed look for a weekend drive, but you don't have to worry about the protection of the car while its parked. Definitely something you might want to look into.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived