LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty Worth it?

I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5spd Manual with 74k on it. It was immaculately maintained and only had one owner. I have a ton of oil change receipts. Looks like about every 3000 it got mobil 1 at the dealer. I am being offered a powertrain warranty from the dealer for $1500 for 3/36 coverage. Think it is worth it?

I am somewhat handy, can do brakes, tune up stuff. I have a hookup from the local subaru club for doing modification things like new turbos, suspension, up/down pipe for a very reasonable price. I am mainly worries about catastrophic failures like the oil pickup tube killing the engine, or a head gasket going.

Opinions?

Depends, if the dealership is a bunch of A holes then yes. If you do a tune and the engine blows then they can say the tune caused the engine to blow. The idea is that if your mod could of caused the issue then its not covered under warranty.

Both my Subaru techs are friends. They both said as long as I don't screw with the ECU they will warranty everything. But these are friends.

how about thoughts on the gold plus warranty? i picked up my car last night, and i bought the 6yr/80k/100 deduct for $1295. i'm wondering if i made the right decisions.

i think it's cancelable...not sure if i could do better on price...

The dealers wouldn't push these so hard if there weren't tons of profit in them.

Even if you have your heart set on wasting your money, at least wait right until your regular warranty is about to expire. There's no need to give them an interest free loan on top of the $$ they'll make off the warranty.

As the other members have stated, only buy it if you want to stay completely stock.

Even if you put a different muffler or lowering springs on it, they will put up a fight on anything that goes wrong.

Same goes with re-flashing anything to the ECM. If they sense that you've played with the car, they will fight any coverage.

If you have the money to spend and like to be insured (I certainly do, in most aspects of my life) then go for it.

Having your engine and trans covered for another 3 years is a nice thing. You can always transfer the warranty to the next person if you sell within 3 years.

if you can buy Subaru's warranty for your 2005, go for it. We have Subaru's extended warranty for wife's Tribeca and we have had no problems with it (few minor things were fixed, and I even got a free loaner on it).

If not - be very careful. A lot of 3rd party extended vehicle warranties are scam, no matter what dealer is telling you. Read the contract, and if you feel anything fishy, walk away. You can buy 3rd party extended warranty anytime, again no matter what dealer tells you.

At very least, google name of the company providing the extended warranty for customer complaints and its BBB rating. I wish I did that when I bought a 3rd party extended warranty from the dealer (who btw lied to me that I couldn't get Subaru's warranty on used Subaru) - I am going through hell with it now and will most likely end up in court.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

got extended with mine. same thing 6yr/100k. turbo when at 79k Covered. well worth it. good choice. It covers the whole power train and axles etc. the subaru dealer that i go to is some what mod friendly. It help to know a few subaru mechanics

Archived