LegacyGT.com

Low RPM = engine shut down

Yesterday, I was filling my car with 93 octane gas from a no name gas station, then today when I was driving, when I lift my foot of the gas pedal, the RPM goes down, the engine shut down.

It came out of nowhere, then I start the engine again, no CEL, oil is full, fluid is full, radiator is at normal temp, and low RPM, engine shuts down again. I have to drive my car with my left foot and the brake to keep the RPM above 1500. Then I smell something, went out and check, there is no smoke, the engine oil goes hotter than usual 5C.

Anyone have any idea? please help, thanks

Water or sediment in the gas maybe? Where did you have it filled?

a no name gas station, "xline" "xtra" something, I cant remember... I think it's water, now what should I do? Siphon???? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Eek, yeah you never know about the quality at those no name stations. If you wanted to be sure you got it all, I will drain the tank instead of a siphon (even though its a PITA) and then refill with the best stuff you can get your hands on. Might also consider replacing your fuel filter as it may have become clogged with crap. There are also some additives you can add to your next tank to help pull the remaining water out.

Eek, yeah you never know about the quality at those no name stations. If you wanted to be sure you got it all, I will drain the tank instead of a siphon (even though its a PITA) and then refill with the best stuff you can get your hands on. Might also consider replacing your fuel filter as it may have become clogged with crap. There are also some additives you can add to your next tank to help pull the remaining water out.

do our cars have a fuel filter? I heard we dont... :confused:

how to drain the tank if not Siphon...

We have a fuel filter, altho its not a serviced item and I've heard its not easy to access (under rear seat, near fuel tank). Definitely keep it out of boost till you get things worked out.

could it be the IAC valve? where is it located? any picture and instruction will be greatly appreciated...

Any of you have this kind of problem before? Now I have to hold my foot on the gas pedal all the time or the car will shut down :(

just get a bottle of fuel treatment and dump it in. If it's water, that should take care of it.

Just drive it easy and run the tank down

I did that, but still there is problem, I guess I didn't run the tank down.

and yes, I have no problem when my car in motion, just when it is idling... so could it be the IACV?

thanks for good info guys, so you'r saying mine doesnt have IACV? my car is 08 lgt.

I also think it could be the o2 sensor

and battery died today, lousy oem battery, installed a yellow top... the problem is still there, very annoying at stop since I keep my foot on the gas pedal.

I'm going to dealer tmr to find out what's going on, wish me luck, a friend suggested to clean the throttle body but ... really, I have no idea how to do :(

fuel pump is less than $100 and should take no more than an hour to install

I don't know exactly what the fuel meter is. If they are referring to the gauge in the dash, that wouldn't cause your problems.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

fuel pump is less than $100 and should take no more than an hour to install

I don't know exactly what the fuel meter is. If they are referring to the gauge in the dash, that wouldn't cause your problems.

Dealer estimated fuel pump for $500 :confused:

Fuel meter is actually level sensor.

I'm already order my part from a friend with much cheaper price, going to fix my car next week... this is probably the most expensive gas buying ever...

If the problems with the car dieing at idle were caused by the bad gas,which I doubt they were, the bad gas wouldn't hurt the fuel pump or the level sensor.

Fuel level sensor would only effect the fuel gauge reading. Should cause any driveability issues. When a fuel pump fails, it usually causes problems at WOT and higher loads first, not idle issues only.

I think you still have a problem that hasn't been found yet.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived