LegacyGT.com

12V Adapter for trunk

jproy12

Hey,

I'll be going on a couple road trips this summer with the legacy, and I'll be bringing with me some food on the go!

I'll be bringing with me an electric cooler, something like this:

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-coolers-accessories/12-volt-coolers-products/igloo-40-quart-kool-mate-40-12-volt-thermo-electric-cooler-6402.jpg

What I'm wondering, is that, has anyone wired a 12V plug in the trunk? Somewhat like a cigarette plug, but in the trunk?

I'm just wondering, its not something hard to do, but would like to know from where i can get 12V power to run this machine, i know there's the lights, but anything else?!

So basically, I'm just wondering where i can get 12V in the trunk to run a separate wire (lighter plug, see pic bellow).

The plug I'm looking to drop in my car:

http://img.alibaba.com/img/imagerepos/sh/ao/shaoxingstar/1269243783395_hz_fileserver1_30760.jpg

Thanks

JP

good idea, im sure there are quite a few good places that you could tap that 12v adapter to in the trunk. and im sure there are a few good ways to do it both temporarily and permanently

good idea, im sure there are quite a few good places that you could tap that 12v adapter to in the trunk. and im sure there are a few good ways to do it both temporarily and permanently

Yea, looking to do it permanently! I might just run a new wire from the cigarette plug in the little storage compartment under the armrest!

Now, I've checked it all, how the hell do you remove the back seats!

JP

Done and Done!!

I routed a wire from the cig lighter plug under the armrest to the trunk, pretty easy job to do! I spliced the wires going to the cig lighter and back to the trunk!

Took out the rear seat, and wired everything under the carpet into the trunk!

Looks OEM and easy! Took 2 hours to do last night!

JP

Nice work JP! But again, as I always said, you should have bought a wagon since all the wiring is already routed to the trunk. :lol: But don't figure why, Subaru did not think of installing the plug... :spin:

Nice work JP! But again, as I always said, you should have bought a wagon since all the wiring is already routed to the trunk. :lol: But don't figure why, Subaru did not think of installing the plug... :spin:

Where is the wiring in the back of the wagon?

Where is the wiring in the back of the wagon?

The plug comes installed on the outbacks IIRC.

The wiring is present behind the left rear cubby. It's taped up inside behind the plastic panel. You can just buy the plug/accessory outlet from Subaru. You knock out the plug in the panel, install the outlet and push on the connector. Super simple.

So nice to have the wiring all there for you. Same with the trailer hitch wiring. Its the other connector you'll see there.

• 3 months later...
Hmmm, I'll have to go look in my LGT wagon again. I found the trailer hitch connector but didn't find the outlet (but I wasn't looking hard for it - evidently it's in there according to other posts). Given the space back there, I was actually thinking about wiring up an inverter and putting in a 110v outlet.
Kyle "BlackHole"

Hmmm, I'll have to go look in my LGT wagon again. I found the trailer hitch connector but didn't find the outlet (but I wasn't looking hard for it - evidently it's in there according to other posts). Given the space back there, I was actually thinking about wiring up an inverter and putting in a 110v outlet.

The wiring is definitely there. I've used it and have an outlet in the back of my LGT wagon.

Archived