LegacyGT.com

My LGT was the victim of a hit and run!

Im so pissed. Lets just start there. How can someone be so indecent as to hit someone's car, they just take off. They dont wait around, they dont leave a note saying at least "Sorry for hitting your car."

I drive everywhere with my yellow HID foglights on, day or night. I have met a few LGT guys that know the fog lights don't typically work like that during the day, so its cool when you meet some who knows something about an LGT. That habit i have is what caused me to notice my damage.

So here's how it happened:

I came home from work monday, everything was fine.

I woke up today around 10:30am, ran to the gas station at 12:30pm to get gas, a Dr. Pepper (Mmmm Dr. Pepper), and a gallon of milk. Got home around 12:45pm, made some food, and left for work at 1:30pm.

I worked 2:00pm-10:00pm. At about 10:15pm i noticed, in the reflection of a truck ahead of me, that my driver side foglight was not on. the passenger one was. i figured my bulb was bad or a loose connection somewhere. I was going to deal with it tomorrow.

I stopped at the store to pick up some stuff, and when i was walking throught the parking lot up to my car, i noticed a large scrape on my driver front corner!

I started freaking out. So you understand, I love my LGT, as I know alot of you do as well. So when I noticed someone hit my car I was pissed.

I began inspecting my car I noticed a scrape on the corner, its about 1" tall, about 5" long. There are hairline cracks in the paint on the bumper, and alot of scrapes. My front bumper now hangs down about 3/8" from the driver fender, and the front bumper is shifted to the passenger side. The plastics inside and under the bumper are all jacked up. There is some kind of something (most likely a bolt) behind the bumper that is trying to pop through the bumper now. My driver headlight is loose, i think the bracket under the bumper might be broken. And the plastic clips that keep the front grill in are all now broken.

And that was until i got it into some light.

Add to that, my driver fender shifted up, and is now pushing on my A pillar, and is about 3/8" away from the hood. the passenger fender seems fine, and is about 1/8" away from the hood. Then i noticed my fmic is shifted about 1" to the passenger side. doesnt seem to have any leaks, i hope its ok. my driver headlight hangs about 1/4" out over the bumper, my passenger headlight is now about 1/2" recessed into the bumper.

So pretty much, my front end is jacked up. you wouldnt notice it if you werent looking for it, but its really pissing me off.

So tomorrow i have a meeting with the manager of the Mobile gas station i filled up at to view their security videos to see if someone hit me while i was inside paying. And then I have to go and take my car to my insurance company's office to go over everything with them.

IM SO HAPPY I HAVE FULL COVERAGE! first car i have had more than liability only. i cant remember off hand what my deductible is, but im sure im going to get screwed somehow out of all this.

this has been the worst week ever. ugh, im so ready for all this bad luck to turn around. this has been 6 days straight of bad shit happening to me. sry about all this, but i just had to vent all this. ugh. and now i feel a little bit better.

ill take some pics in the morning...

Really unfortunate that there are people out there that do this, same situation happened to me with my last car, '98 GTP Daytona Pace car edition. Went to our new pool hall in my home town, my buddies show up about 30 mins later and told me to go look at my car. Someone had either pulled into or backed out of the spot on my drivers side and ran their front bumper all along my door, couldnt even open it it was that damaged and creased. $3800 in damage cost me my $500 deductible, so I paid 500 bucks for a parking spot! :mad:

ya i have a $500 deductible as well. just went and filed a claim. just stopped by the body shop, they're going to hook me up. i will be getting a rental while my lgt gets fixed.

i stopped at the gas station, and after 20 min of running through their "vegas style" security system, i finally got a good angle of my front end and noticed the damage occured before that. so i guess it happened monday. idk

My Dad has an insurance agency and he said they have been seeing a lot of hit and runs lately. They figure that bc the economy is down, people let their insurance lapse. He has had a couple of insureds who come out to a damaged car and a note simply stating " Im sorry I hit your car, I have no $ to pay"

Sucks they couldn't at least leave you a note, but maybe that means they did not know they hit you...Which I guess would be better

I think a lot of times when this happens people know they hit you, but:

A. Don't have insurance

B. Don't have a valid drivers license

C. Have warrants

D. Driving a stolen vehicle

In which case they shouldn't be driving. Thats just my opinion though.

I have a funny story about hit and runs. Last year I gave my best friend the last car I was driving, a 2001 Chevy Cavalier that was completely covered in Rhino Liner. Somebody ran into it and scraped the entire side of the car, it dented in a bunch of panels, but the rhino liner was fine (of course). The person took off, and there was a whole bunch of white paint left on that came right off with a spray washer. The funny part about this, how messed up do think the car was that scraped their entire side along a Rhino Lined car, it would have been like driving against a brick wall. While my friends car had some damage it was already a beater so we just laugh hoping they were driving something nice.

Anyway I hope this all works out for you, your car sounds like a beaut. Keep us updated on what happens!

My Dad has an insurance agency and he said they have been seeing a lot of hit and runs lately. They figure that bc the economy is down, people let their insurance lapse. He has had a couple of insureds who come out to a damaged car and a note simply stating " Im sorry I hit your car, I have no $ to pay"

Sucks they couldn't at least leave you a note, but maybe that means they did not know they hit you...Which I guess would be better

The economy story works both ways. People who hit and run are afraid to have their rates go up and then claim the damage to their car is from a hit and run to get the UMPD deductible and not admit liability.

Of course people running into poles and then claiming it was a hit and run doesn't change regardless of the economy.

Yes, good point. Leaving the scene of an accident and insurance fraud are not good things to be convicted of.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you have a good experience with the repair shop.

(would like to see pix)

sorry to read the news. i know the feeling, 10 days after i got the car i walked out to find 2 dents on the back passenger side from a person not a car. one behind the gas tank door which caused a crease a few inches forward and one on the C pillar.

my roomate had a hit and run about a year and a half ago on his 2007 wrx. he went to the same shop, they treated him great, his car looks great.

im sure he wasnt too thrilled when i told him i had a fmic and the bumper had to be modified to fit the front end

yeah i hear your pains. i was at Appalachian State almost a year ago, i had left my car parked and when i came back to it i noticed that my back bumper had black stuff on it from a distance. when i got closer i saw where it had been pushed in and that it was black paint all over my white car and that some of my paint had been scraped off and it was down to the black plastic. all of the paint is spidered clear coat is flaking off and the bumper has some creases in it. my car was flawless before this. at least they left a note.... that said I.O.U. at this point i lost it. runined my week. gonna cost about $250 but thats only cuz i know the fella who owns the body shop. About a month after this happened my car got egged along with a few others in the neighborhood. which has ruined the paint on my hood, drivers door, and roof. not to mention that everytime i park in a parking lot i park as far away from other car as possible or park next to a turbo subaru hoping they have respect for other turbo subarus. but i still manage to get door dings.:spin::mad:

well the claims adjuster just stopped by my house and wrote me a preliminary quote just from what he can see is wrong. im sure the body shop will find something else wrong with it.

He quoted me $1,221.48 for the repairs. He wrote me a check for $721.48 to cover the rest.

I know for a fact the repair will be more because there is nothing at all in the quote for replacing or repairing my Volt HID foglight that is not working.

Did you have your modifications listed with your insurance company? Otherwise, my guess is they will not repair any aftermarket upgrades, as the policy was written and rated based on a stock LGT with options from the VIN....

Not try to be a spoil sport, but that is why they ask if you have mods... and that's the chance you run by not reporting them to your insurance.

I sure hope everything gets fixed 100% with no additional cost to you, I've been in your shoes too many times and know what a hassle it can be just to get your car back to OEM specs....

I had a sit down with my insurance guy, he's real cool. I mentioned the 3000k Volt HIDs in my fogs, told him they are aftermarket, he said what ever I have in the car will be replaced. Aftermarket or not, he said that's how he does business

For me, the modifications issue only came into play if they significantly change the cost of repairs.

Example: I had a guy with a 2001 Prelude that was completely built. He was paying the rate of a stock Prelude but his was probably worth twice that. He had a super charged JDM motor, full custom leather interior, and it had a show winning history. Mods usually don't increase the value of a car, but they will impact the cost of repairs. Anyway, he got tagged from behind and the other guy had no insurance. I had to write the estimate based on the cost of the car stock and it totaled out in seconds. The worst part of the story, I tried to talk him into buying it back and stripping it, but he had nowhere to keep it and he just let it go.

Were I less ethical, I would have told him to buy it and then I would have bought it from him.

Um... in other words, small mods will get fixed. You just have to let the adjuster know you have them and the damage is accident related. Save your receipts.

Archived