LegacyGT.com

Ring Land Failure...

Hey guys...

I just got off the phone with Yimi Sport and it turns out my car has a 60% leak in the number 2 cylinder. I'm being told it will cost me about 2000-3000 to fix it when all is said and done.

I just got this car, it has 71,000 miles on it, and It's not worth what I owe.

Any suggestions?

Please Help Me!

Just got it? If that was from a dealer - there might be some kind of mandatory short-term warranty. Don't know CA lemon law, but when I was in MN there was a law that required dealers to include a least 30days/3kmile warranty on all used cars with less than 75k miles

Hey guys...

I just got off the phone with Yimi Sport and it turns out my car has a 60% leak in the number 2 cylinder. I'm being told it will cost me about 2000-3000 to fix it when all is said and done.

Any suggestions?

Please Help Me!

Figure out a way to get the car totalled.

Hey guys...

Any suggestions?

Please Help Me!

May be right now, but get it repaired and you'll have years of enjoyment. $3000 is not that bad if the job is done right. There's a lot of work that needs to be done.

Is it a 5 speed or automatic ? If 5 speed, think about replacing the clutch set up too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey Mike,

We don't know your situation, so it's hard to give advice. here are some things to think about:

Your car will never be worth more than it does right now with a fixed engine. It will immediately begin depreciating at it's normal rate once you fix the engine.

If you do not love the car, and don't want to deal with the headaches of it, it's a good time to consider what you can get for it plus the $3k you'll save by not fixing it. Or, if it might be a worthwhile move to fix it and then trade it in.

If you love the car and want to keep it indefinitely, then this really doesn't matter. You are going to need to fix it. Consider what else you can fix/shore up while you are in there. As mentioned, a stock clutch on an 05 LGT 5-speed at 71k miles has led a good life. Put a new one in now. Maybe a new single-mass flywheel too while you are at it. (Could be an additional $300-800 for a new clutch and/or flywheel while they have the engine out)

Have the turbo evaluated for shaft play. If it's moving, again, now's a good time to replace it. Or upgrade. No matter what, get rid of the stock banjo bolt filters and either run without the filter or replace it with a new filter.

They are going to encounter a shitload of original rubber that involves the intake tract. Maybe it's fine, but again, now's a good time to consider replacing it with new or upgraded units since they will be in there. Things like the turbo inlet.

Lastly, consider getting your injectors cleaned and flow checked. I don't know what caused the ringland to go, but a bad injector could be involved. At 71k, it IS excessive to get them checked...but I'm throwing ideas out there for ya :)

You could easily spend $5k just making things more rock solid on this car. You can also keep going and build this into a tuned engine with new forged pistons and an upgraded turbo & exhaust system.

Without knowing what you want to get out of it, it's hard to give specific advice :)

Archived