LegacyGT.com

Getting a free BG, needs engine rebuild

I'm a longtime Subaru fan but never had the opportunity to own one, until now. It's a BG, not sure of year or exact engine damage, will know in 2 days. But it's going to need a rebuild or at least some major parts replacement. I'm just wondering about where to begin for advice on engine removal, figuring out the problem, and then later on auto to manual conversion (all though I'm sure I can find a pretty large amount of info around for that). I have been having some trouble finding info on the various subaru forums about where to start for engine removal, troubleshoot, rebuild.

Thanks for any help!

Ok, well I've got more info now the Legacy is a 1995 wagon with an EJ22 and the crank pulley is broke/spinning freely on the end of the crank. It's AWD too. I'm also getting a free 96 impreza awd with and EJ22 as well, and that one was run for a while without oil, so I may use the crank pulley from that if I can. Hopefully I can make at least one running car out of the two.

If the problem is the crank pulley this will be simple as pie.

Gun the old pulley off, inspect the key, replace key if damaged, reinstall new pulley.

If the Impreza is a manual transmission pull it apart. Take the clutch master cylinder, the pedal assembly, the shifter/linkage, the transmission, the ECU, and the radiator out. then it's pretty much just a giant rusty jigsaw puzzle to swap the manual transmission into the auto Legacy.

Thanks for all the advice! It'll be a lot of help for the pulley and the future manual swap. I have a subaru service manual, but do you think it would be a good idea to get the haynes as well?

Yeah, it's kinda looking like the legacy will become the daily driver as it's got a lot more rust, (the impreza's almost completely rust free) and I'm definitely going to take your advice on the manual swap because sadly they're both autos :(

So you basically just need that list of parts (from a similar vintage EJ22) to convert to a manual on 2nd gen legacy's and 1st gen imprezas?

Also, do you guys know if 95 legacys uses OBDII? I have a nice OBDII bluetooth reader that links up with my android phone so I can read error codes and sensor data.

Thanks for all the advice! It'll be a lot of help for the pulley and the future manual swap. I have a subaru service manual, but do you think it would be a good idea to get the haynes as well?

Yeah, it's kinda looking like the legacy will become the daily driver as it's got a lot more rust, (the impreza's almost completely rust free) and I'm definitely going to take your advice on the manual swap because sadly they're both autos :(

So you basically just need that list of parts (from a similar vintage EJ22) to convert to a manual on 2nd gen legacy's and 1st gen imprezas?

Also, do you guys know if 95 legacys uses OBDII? I have a nice OBDII bluetooth reader that links up with my android phone so I can read error codes and sensor data.

I want this I just picked up a phone with android software on it. What is the name and where do I find it.

thanks good to know about the obd 2, now I can actually use my module I don't have to rent one!

The software I like most is called "torque" but you can search the android market for "obd" and you should find at least 3 different pieces of software. The other ones are called obdii reader and obdroid. Also, the bluetooth module I use is from dealextreme.

I'd love to have that jdm motor if I had the $$ for it, and a little more experience with swaps. If I get there, I'll PM you.

Archived