LegacyGT.com

not sure what to do: new deck or clean sweep

blonde

Car mfgs. are doing the intigrated head thing for several reasons:

1) Look of the interior - intigrated looks better and lowers mfg costs.

2) Deter auto theft, better insurance ratings for thier cars.

3) Helping their dealers and generate more parts and labor profits

3) Capturing part of the audio aftermarket parts market.

I think Clean Sweep is a positive way to go.

OK, I get it that the remote volume is part of that deal.

Fine, I think I found a good place for it.

Now lets see some user reviews, and then I will order one.

Anyone in 4 a group buy?

Mr. Smith - options on first production run discount in return for inteligent user reviews?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the CleanSweep could work off the factory volume, but this would require hacking into the car's radio and doing major work. The whole point of the CleanSweep is to integrate with the OEM system without permanently modifying it. Nothing is perfect, I'm afraid, and I understand if you can't live with another knob in the car, but if you're really into good sound I think you will find the compromise worthwhile.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I still think it would be great if you could use a type of "trigger" CD in the stock radio to play a simple and unique test tone that Clean Sweep hears -- as the driver alters the radio volume and changes the amplitude of the test tone, Clean Sweep could recognize and interpret this, and then alter the volume on the aux-in accordingly. It is all possible with DSP. I would gladly pop in a test-tone CD in order to have the radio's volume knob control the Clean Sweep's aux-in volume.

Craig

I still think it would be great if you could use a type of "trigger" CD in the stock radio to play a simple and unique test tone that Clean Sweep hears -- as the driver alters the radio volume and changes the amplitude of the test tone, Clean Sweep could recognize and interpret this, and then alter the volume on the aux-in accordingly. It is all possible with DSP. I would gladly pop in a test-tone CD in order to have the radio's volume knob control the Clean Sweep's aux-in volume.

Craig

I never thought a little knob would be such a big deal. You'd think we were asking you to install a satellite dish on your dash or something. :)

What you describe is feasible, but would require significant software changes. It also would be a giant pain for anyone who doesn't have CD changer... ("Damn, what did I do with my control disc... etc.) We honestly felt that the little knob would be more straightforward and, don't forget, it's also needed to toggle between the OEM and Aux sources (you push it in to switch).

You can always FM modulate the aux. source unit and bury the CleanSweep knob somewhere and never have to deal with it again.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I've considered the CleanSweep, but my main reason for deciding against it is the fact that I only really want to amplify my front speakers and my sub and keep the rears off the head unit for fill. If I connect my Ipod via the CS then it will only play through the front speakers and sub in this case. I would have to run everything off an amp which would either mean installing two amps or buying a 5 channel. I'd rather just use the 4 channel I already own.

P.S. I'm glad it's an option though. The more choices we have the better. Thanks JL.

That was my thought....so I got the din bezel...and went with the HU over the clean sweep. I need my MP3 play'n, pop out screen for the nav and all that good stuff......

Here's the install of all my stuff

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/pic_stereo.htm

You have good taste in amps and woofers. :D

Nice work.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I've considered the CleanSweep, but my main reason for deciding against it is the fact that I only really want to amplify my front speakers and my sub and keep the rears off the head unit for fill. If I connect my Ipod via the CS then it will only play through the front speakers and sub in this case. I would have to run everything off an amp which would either mean installing two amps or buying a 5 channel. I'd rather just use the 4 channel I already own.

P.S. I'm glad it's an option though. The more choices we have the better. Thanks JL.

You could always connect the rear stock speakers in parallel to the fronts with a series resistor to pad them down in level a bit. You would lose your fader, but that's it. Then, when you have some extra cash, you can add a dedicated subwoofer amp.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

You have good taste in amps and woofers. :D

Nice work.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Thanx, now only if I could do as awesome quality work as you (see his other posts on door speakers) maybe I could've kept the stock system running and the new HU.......:rolleyes:

you're work is Amazing man......

I love JL's stuff.....:D

wow i've gotta say I'm really really disappointed that the Legacy GT stereo has no easy way to connect an iPod. I was about to buy a new Subie this weekend and trade in my Passat but I can't imagine doing that now that it means no more listening to the iPod in the car. that's just about the worst news I've heard in a long while.

as for this possible CleanSweep solution, not being too technically savvy I don't understand how the CleanSweep gets installed and where in the car it gets situated (under the seat? in the trunk?). size of a paperback is still size of a paperback - where in the car does it go?

it's back to the drawing board or keep the Passat i guess... :mad:

First of all, welcome to the site and congrats on being close to a Subie! I hope this isn't a deal-breaker for you as the LGT and OBXT are amazing. A few thoughts for you...

The CleanSweep can go anywhere, though somewhere near the front of the car would require less wiring than in back. While the CleanSweep does provide an easy auxillary input, it's really for more than that. It takes your usual factory speaker leads as its input, and after a quick calibration, removes any equilization biases in the OEM system. (The biases are there to make the most of the non-ideal factory speakers.) It then gives you a clean output (of either the output from the OEM system, radio or CD, or the auxillary input) which is fed to an amp. From the amp, it's your call. You could put in a simple system for not much money, or go big. Sky's the limit!

There are other options other than the CleanSweep if you're just looking for an auxillary input and not a completely improved system. Though it's great (and I'll be snatching one up as soon as they come out), the CleanSweep's really designed to be the link between your OEM head unit and a custom amp/speaker system.

I'll let msmith, our resident audio expert, fill in the details I've left out and correct my mistakes, but I wanted to get back to you quickly before you totally discount the LGT! Don't give up just yet!

-bill

!

There are other options other than the CleanSweep if you're just looking for an auxillary input and not a completely improved system. Though it's great (and I'll be snatching one up as soon as they come out), the CleanSweep's really designed to be the link between your OEM head unit and a custom amp/speaker system.

-bill

Bill - first off thanks so much for the warm welcome! :)

After driving the LGT last night I really do want one, especially since my wife in on board with the purchase (she has a 98 Legacy L with 120k mi).

You mention that there are other options other than the CleanSweep and I would love to know what they are. I'm not thrilled about shelling out another $400 just so I can hear my iPod plus the fact that the CleanSweep doesn't seem compatible with the sub.

Can you provide a list of other options?

right now in my 99 Passat I use a cassette adaptor and it sounds fine. The LGT of course doesn't have a cassette player so that rules that out. I've heard nothing but bad things about the iPod FM transmitters so would like to avoid that route. I have a 6-CD changer in the Passat but never ever use it due to the iPod. so... I really need a nice easy (and cheap) way to somehow get my iPod hooked up to the *&@$# OEM stereo.

thanks again :)

tu11ym0n -

Unfortunately, I don't know that there's an easy way to do it just yet. A quick search for "iPod" on this site gives a few projects, though they're far from easy:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936&highlight=iPod

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9916&highlight=iPod

One thing to consider is how many views those threads have... There is definitely interest in, and demand for, an iPod solution without needing to add another head unit or amp system. It can only be a matter of time before there's something relatively close to plug-and-play. (Those with more audio experience - feel free to correct me on this. I'm just going by the huge demand for a solution.) I've been dealing with the transition from iPod to CDs (duplicates of my iPod world, of course), but have found a little peace in public radio and envisioning my CleanSwept world which is on the way.

On a curious note: I would be interested to know how easy it is to hook up to other OEM systems in 2005 vehicles. Maybe that's a thread in itself!

Anyway, I hope this isn't a deal breaker for you, again, and all I can really offer is tech-savy solutions and the hope that there's something on the way. :)

tu11ym0n -

A hard-wired FM modulator (not a transmitter) will sound about as good as the cassette adaptor method you used in the Passat. There are a couple of threads talking about how to hardwire to the LGT's antenna system.

tu11ym0n - Welcome (again) and Definitely Don't not get a vehicle that you like just because of the stereo! I've got my issues with the stereo, but I knew the new Legacy was way too much of a car to pass up because of them! I'm working out those issues slowly! As for the Ipod... The FM modulator thing isn't that bad, my friend uses one in his WRX... It is an acceptable Temporary solution until a more permanent solution arises!

What are you looking to get in particular? outback, GT???

hey there sportwagon. thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm looking at an 05 Legacy GT LTD. I'm actually going there in about an hour or so and seeing if I can work out a good deal. They have a demo in the color combo I like (Altantic Blue / Taupe) with 6,000 miles on it and I have to see how much they're willing to discount it.

The FM modulator seems like a decent interim solution, but it still seems like it requires a lot of work. I might have to resort to an FM transmitter. until something better (and easier) comes along. there seems to be a market for Subies given the company's refusal to add an aux in connection

tu11- Hope you come back with a new toy tonight! I know I'm a little late, but good luck!

thanks bro :)

It took a lot of restraint, but i managed to leave the Subaru dealership without a new Subie. The deal just wasn't right. I thought I would get a lot more for my trade-in based upon the link to Kelly Blue Book (from Subaru.com!!!). Of course the Sales Manager said "Kelly's always a lot higher" (and I had to respond "how did I know you were going to say that?").

So based on the poor trade-in quote (only $7000 for a 99 VW Passat GLX in good cond with 64k mi) it screwed up the deal I made with my wife about how much we can afford on a down-payment and monthly. The dealer made a token gesture of "re-punching the numbers" but it still came out on the high side. My wife wasn't with me (she had to work) so I couldn't confer with her re: the higher numbers and didn't feel comfortable making the decision myself since she's the one who manages the finances. So I told them I'd have to talk with wifey and will return on Saturday. They did a cheesy thing and asked how long we'd been married (11 years) and basically all but said "well we know who wears the pants in your family" - which is so untrue. As if i'm foolish enough to go "yeah, I'll show HER who's boss! gimme that Legacy now, where do I sign?"

so I'm pretty sure I'll go back on Saturday and I'm eager to see if they'll have another counter-offer. though I have to admit that today I had an up-close look at an Acura TL and whoa is that a SWEET ride! more money for sure but now i'm thinking is it more money better spent... hmmm Honda build quality and reliabilty in sexy packaging...

Don't tell that to my friend on his 3rd TL type-s transmission.

DOH!!! good to know dude... good to know.

i just talked it over with my buddy here at work (the voice of all thing car-related) and he gave some good advice about choosing the Subie over the Acura. Granted the TL is more luxurious and comfortable than the LGT, and it has great JD Power CSI scores (whereas the Subie ranks surprisingly below industry avg), BUT in the areas of value and performance he thinks the Subie is the better choice. The fact that the LGT can throw 250hp and 240 lb/ft of torque through 4 wheels vs only 2 front wheels in the TL means that it should smoke the TL off the line. ;)

The LGT's driver position seems a little more cramped than the TL, and much more cramped than my Passat GLX, so that's another issue I'd need to deal with. I'm a big & tall kinda guy and I kinda wish the Subie's seats could go a little lower and a little further back.

speaking of seating, does anyone know if the dealer installed Subie subwoofer limits the amount the drivers seat is able to be lowered?

does anyone know if another subwoofer can be installed rather than the Subie? I have a Kicker 6" self-powered sub in my Passat and if i could transfer that over to the Subie it would save me $230 or so.

Archived