LegacyGT.com

Mouse nesting on engine - insulation?

Today I discovered that a mouse had created a big nest on top of and next to the alternator on my '07 spec.B, just underneath the engine cover. I'm trying to figure out where the nesting material came from. It's mainly a fibrous dirty-white batting material that looks like insulation. I'm not sure if it came from the walls of the garage where I park the car, or from somewhere inside the car. I haven't crawled around underneath the car or removed any panels yet to look.

Mixed in with the batting are pieces of outdoor debris (leaf fragments, acorn pieces, etc.), and a few small scraps of what looks like black construction paper.

I attached a photo of the stuff after I removed it from the engine. Does anybody recognize this material from someplace inside one of these cars?

IMG_4551_tw2.thumb.JPG.e0eb4311083b4c145f1817eded2ef11b.JPG

ZOMG, the mouse destroyed your in-cabin air filter to make his house!!!1

Is that really what that is?? I'd think I would have seen some pieces of that stuff come flying out of one of my vents by now if a mouse had shredded something like that into tiny pieces.

Mice are not my favorite animals right now.:spin: Maybe I'll install my next filter infused with mouse poison.

That looks like some insulation to me.

That's kinda funny, freakin mouse hope he didn't chew on any wires while he decided to make a living room under your hood.

Yeah it looked like insulation to me too. I just don't know if it's old house insulation or some sort of car insulation. It looks and feels like a mat of long cotton fibers, though I'm sure it's not cotton.

...and yeah, I sure had that same thought about chewed wires and/or hoses! I didn't see any such damage at a cursory glance, but who knows where the mouse had been crawling around.

I hope he got nice and toasted when I started up my car and warmed it up.

I left my engine cover at the car wash once. When I went back to get it, it was already gone... Now I don't feel so bad about losing it. :lol:

I like mice. I think you should have let him stay. :redface:

and he can remove the banjo bolt filter, wash the engine, recharge your A/C, tune you suspension ... etc, while you'r driving :eek::eek::eek:

Ah mice. Every season we always check the intakes on our stored snowmobiles before we start them. Why you ask? Mice like to build nests in them, they will get sucked in when you start the engine. Talk about major headaches!

Firewall insulation is my guess.

I brought the stuff into work this morning and showed it to a couple of people who are good with cars, and one of them said it looked like firewall insulation too.

However, I did some closer examination using a flashlight a few minutes ago, and think I figured out where it may have come from...

I can see a spot on the top side of the skid plate (almost a straight drop down from where the mouse nest was) where that "black construction paper" is stipped off (it's actually a black fabric of some sort), and underneath that is some sort of whitish insulation. I'm not sure what purpose insulation would serve in a skid plate, unless it's to keep the plate from getting too hot and igniting dry grass or something underneath the car.

The skid plate insulation itself actually doesn't look disturbed, so either the mouse stripped it off very neatly in nice clean layers, or else the insulation came from elsewhere. There seems to be a lot more of it in the nest (maybe a good softball-sized clump) than can be accounted for from what looks like about a 6-inch diameter patch of the stripped skid plate, and that skid plate isn't very thick.

The black fabric definitely matches up with the stuff I found in the mouse nest though.

There's also, in certain places on the under-side of the factory engine-cover, a white, fibrous, insulation material.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

There's also, in certain places on the under-side of the factory engine-cover, a white, fibrous, insulation material.

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that when I had my engine cover off. Maybe it's because there was none of it left!

^ Certainly possible!

There's very little of this stuff, though - but given its seeming "density," it's quite possible that the mice pulled it apart and gave it some "fluff," which is what they do to the "nesting material" we give them as enrichment (I'm a lab rat ;)).

What I don't know is:

(1) if pulled-apart, would it darken/brown like it is, in your picture

and

(2) if the mice would be able to pull the insulation/padding "clean off" the engine cover's "inside"/backing.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Certainly possible!

There's very little of this stuff, though - but given its seeming "density," it's quite possible that the mice pulled it apart and gave it some "fluff," which is what they do to the "nesting material" we give them as enrichment (I'm a lab rat ;)).

What I don't know is:

(1) if pulled-apart, would it darken/brown like it is, in your picture

and

(2) if the mice would be able to pull the insulation/padding "clean off" the engine cover's "inside"/backing.

Yeah, that occurred to me that the mouse probably "fluffed up" the insulation until it was a lot more bulky than when it was in place from wherever it was pulled. If I were to compress the nesting material until it was flat with a heavy book, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell that there was anything under the book.

The insulation isn't quite as dark as it appears in the photo--that was a dark exposure. It's more of an off-white cream color.

Of the more industrious ones, the "Nestletes" we give them, which is "compressed," become a fluffy little house in only 6 hours or so. As soon as they hit their dark cycle, they're at-work.

I looked at my spare engine cover (OEM/non-modified, off of my personal '05 2.5GT; the one I'm using in my car was modified by its previous owner, so I don't know if it would still be properly representative), and the white fibrous insulation material basically covers both sides of the central TMIC opening - basically, it can be said, sorta, to sit atop the end-tanks.

They're in an "L" (and reverse-L, of course!) shape, in that area.

Of the more industrious ones, the "Nestletes" we give them, which is "compressed," become a fluffy little house in only 6 hours or so. As soon as they hit their dark cycle, they're at-work.

I looked at my spare engine cover (OEM/non-modified, off of my personal '05 2.5GT; the one I'm using in my car was modified by its previous owner, so I don't know if it would still be properly representative), and the white fibrous insulation material basically covers both sides of the central TMIC opening - basically, it can be said, sorta, to sit atop the end-tanks.

They're in an "L" (and reverse-L, of course!) shape, in that area.

My car was in a "dark cycle" for a good part of this past winter since I hardly drove it during those months. So I'm sure my mouse tenant went on a construction spree.

Thanks for that info on the insulation on the engine cover. I'll take it off again and take a look (being more careful this time not to lose two of the plastic clips down into the radiator shroud area!).

^ Best of luck! :)

Archived