LegacyGT.com

Yay or nay on hood protector

I bought the guard and ended up regretting it. The brackets did not fit very well over the front of the hood and the holes did not line up from the bracket to the hole in the plastic. Also, one end of the guard seemed to stick up higher than the other. It also made me worry about using the automatic car wash.

I had the hood protector - ended up taking it off and going for clear bra on the bumper, mirrors, part of the hood, etc.

It's working great so far, 15k kms and no rock chips as yet. Definitely recommended!

Steve C.

2009 Legacy 2.5i Wagon

Touring Package

Satin White Pearl

Yeah, I have a silver car so the hood protector may stand out too much. I'll probably go with a clear bra. What should one expect to pay for a clear bra? I'm going to do the front hood and side mirrors. I think I've seen them advertised locally for around $150

Yeah, I have a silver car so the hood protector may stand out too much. I'll probably go with a clear bra. What should one expect to pay for a clear bra? I'm going to do the front hood and side mirrors. I think I've seen them advertised locally for around $150

Those are the cheap ones that will crack and chip away as the weather gets colder. Usually a good quality 3M "tape" will be around $150, then to fit it on your car, may go in excess of $600 or more (that was the cheapest I could find in Maryland).

Just be clear that when you go 60+ mph on the highway or on the track, a stone is a stone. Sure you won't lose any paint, but you will still get dings, no matter how thick your "tape" is on your bumper, mirror, fog lights, etc.

Also keep in mind that as age sets in, you will start noticing the clear bra more and more as dirt, grime, etc gathers up.

Those are the cheap ones that will crack and chip away as the weather gets colder. Usually a good quality 3M "tape" will be around $150, then to fit it on your car, may go in excess of $600 or more (that was the cheapest I could find in Maryland).

Just be clear that when you go 60+ mph on the highway or on the track, a stone is a stone. Sure you won't lose any paint, but you will still get dings, no matter how thick your "tape" is on your bumper, mirror, fog lights, etc.

Also keep in mind that as age sets in, you will start noticing the clear bra more and more as dirt, grime, etc gathers up.

Yeah, I just saw one the other day on an Accord. There was a defined line where the clear bra ends. It was dirty and unsightly, but slightly better than rock chips

If you get one remove it regularly to clean under it, otherwise moisture and debris collects and sits against the paint wrecking it quickly.

IMHO they only stop only a small share of stonechips, since the front bar and the rest of the hood cops a lot of stone chips as well. They are more trouble than they help.

I had the "bra" on mine for three days....then got rid of it! It looked like garbage. I opted for the hood protector and I like that better! (personal pref.) :)

I agree with the "cheap paint" statement. The newer paint may be safer for the enviorment, but it chips so damn easy!

Archived