LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a 96 Outback?

Looked at a 96 outback today that was in pretty good shape except some left front suspension weirdness. The LF front wheel is at least 1 inch further back in the wheel well then the right side. The seller says it happened when he avoided an accident and scraped a guardrail. I looked under the car and there is no visible damage to the frame rail, control arm, tie rod end, or anything else. What would you guess I'm looking at to get it fixed ? A little time at a frame shop to get things pulled back into place?

I'm 90% positive it will take regular; I'll look it up now.

If you're looking for another subaru to work on and use as a dd, get it and take it to a frame shop. depending on the amount of work and the extent of the damage, I'd roughly ballpark $500 for a fix. your best bet is to get a quote from someplace if the owner now would let you take it over to get an estimate.

Negative - the 96 2.5 DOHC requires premium. The compression was lowered for 97-99s to make them "okay" for regular fuel. Run regular gas in a 96 and you're going to lose power and have knock under load.

WRT the wheel setback, that can only be caused by the frame being bent sideways or the subframe being significantly tweaked - both of which I'd walk away from, or at least as a minimum get it to a professional frame shop for an evaluation of cost to repair - and expect high-dollar to fix. And take that amount off the purchase price.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

From Cars101.com Outback Specs "1996: First year for the 'real' Outback with 7.3" ground clearance. Also first year for the 2.5L engine, which in '96 runs on premium fuel and is only available with an automatic transmission."

The ECU will only take it so far for so long. Running regular, you'll also potentially end up with higher cylinder temps and more misfires which leads to headgasket issues on these. Seen it too many times to cheap out on the gasoline.

Yeah, cheaping out on gas is ALWAYS more expensive in the long run. And often it's a false economy. I know i spend more on petrol if i use 95 instead on 98 here in NZ. And 98 is $5/gal!

I just bought a 96 Outback in March and I absolutely love this car. It's an R-title with some rust holes here and there and 160K miles (the kind of car I would usually run from). What really sold me on this car was 1). new timing belt, water pump, alternator, newer tires, front 1/2 shafts, and a brand new inspection. 2). when I test drove this car, I was blown away by how well it ran, drove, and shifted. I was happy with the $2500 that I paid......under a grand sounds like a decent price to me.

If it's a 2.2, then regualr fuel is all you need. The 2.5 required premium fuel.

96 2.5 DOHC (Outback and Legacy LSi), is the only NA 2.5 DOHC engine that Subaru sold that required premium fuel - and it met with stout resistance from the public who otherwise were pretty enamoured with this gutsy rig. Per the owner's manual, premium fuel is required, not recommended, as you sometimes see "for better performance" - although you could add lower octane fuel for emergency situations where premium was not available. NA 2.2 SOHC, always used regular. Subaru made some substantial improvements to the drivetrain in 97 and newer NA 2.5 DOHCs so that they could get back to regular fueling requirements. And sales continued to increase.

Well I picked her up today for $650 and drove 25 miles home. The car runs great , heat, ac, power windows,locks, mirrors all in working order. My body/frame guy says most pushed back wheels are fixed with a new lower control arm so I'm looking for one. If anyone has a LF lemme know!

Well I picked her up today for $650 and drove 25 miles home. The car runs great , heat, ac, power windows,locks, mirrors all in working order. My body/frame guy says most pushed back wheels are fixed with a new lower control arm so I'm looking for one.

As much as we discussed your octane needs, did you even specify what motor the "new" car has? Either way, congrats.

Archived