LegacyGT.com

Changing trans fluid.

I am looking on how the change the trans fluid. I am assuming there is a plug on the bottom of the trans? So I just let that drain and refill?

Only problem is I heard that it never drains all the fluid.

If you are changing the trans fluid change the filter also. There is a pan on the bottom of your trans much like the oil pan. Take all of those bolts out and drop the pan down. Make sure to support the pan until all of the bolts are out. If I remember correctly we have a plug for the trans to drain the fluid, so drain it first the take the pan off. You will need a new gasket and filter, about $20-30 at napa or carquest.

Pull the old filter off and remember how it was in there, then put the new one in. Make sure to get all of the old gasket off of the seal then put the new gasket on the pan, this takes a few tries to find the right direction. Support the pan again and put the bolts back in. I forget what to torque then to, it is in the haynes manual I believe.

I need to not drain 7 quarts I want it ALL out of there. Not just what the drain plug drains.

His DIY doesn't work for a 96 because as far as I can tell I don't have a transmission fluid cooler...

I need to not drain 7 quarts I want it ALL out of there. Not just what the drain plug drains.

His DIY doesn't work for a 96 because as far as I can tell I don't have a transmission fluid cooler...

Your radiator cools the trans fluid. Pull the pan then pull the lines on the radiator and it will ALL come out:lol:

Our inlet/outlet lines for the 96 L are on the right side of the radiator (looking at the front end).

I did a flush on it. Seems to shift quite a bit smoother.

Only thing is now it feels a little sloppy when putting it into gear. It's smooth and doesn't jerk but when it goes into gear the car feels like it wants to go in a sense. The dipstick shows it just a HAIR (--) past the Full line when hot. Is this okay?

Whats the best way to take some out? :( Also I am a little worried after I first drove it for about 15 minutes (no redline) came back popped the hood to check the levels and it was sorta steaming a bit but stopped.

Well.. The best way is if you have a shop you can go to where they have a thing to put down in the dip stick hole and just suck a little bit out. Because if you go back under the car and try it you will lose more than you want to. I really don't know anything about the second half of your comment though, sorry!

I will just use the flushing technique I did to get a little out (put it in a clean container in case I need to re-add some. And then fill it up slowly if its a little too low till I get it right on the money.

Your radiator cools the trans fluid. Pull the pan then pull the lines on the radiator and it will ALL come out:lol:

no it wont... You will still have about 4-5 quarts in your torque converter and various valves and pistons through your transmission.

The only way to get a dry trans is to take it out and take it all apart. Trust me I just did it on my Beretta because I burnt a clutch pack... I had to take every little thing apart and clean it all to get all the metal and clutch material out of there.

The best you can do is bring it to a shop for a trans fluid flush, that will get the majority of the bad fluid out.

no it wont... You will still have about 4-5 quarts in your torque converter and various valves and pistons through your transmission.

The only way to get a dry trans is to take it out and take it all apart. Trust me I just did it on my Beretta because I burnt a clutch pack... I had to take every little thing apart and clean it all to get all the metal and clutch material out of there.

The best you can do is bring it to a shop for a trans fluid flush, that will get the majority of the bad fluid out.

Okay you got me haha, but without taking anything out it is the most you can get out. He added trans-x so he will be changing the fluid again so he should be most of the bad fluid out by then.

I need to change out the transmission fluid on mine, it's been over 1k since I did the trans-x, and hopefully I can get most of the fluid out.

If you can drain everything out of the pan and the radiator/lines and then fill it up. Do this 2-3 times and on the last time change out the filter and you should be good to go. Or if you want to spend a lot of money have a tranny flush done somewhere.

I've gotta do this one cheap unfortunately. I saw the DIY over on sl-i and thought that would be a good idea for a first time job to get everything all set. What do you guys think?

If you can drain everything out of the pan and the radiator/lines and then fill it up. Do this 2-3 times and on the last time change out the filter and you should be good to go. Or if you want to spend a lot of money have a tranny flush done somewhere.

Depends on what type of fluid you use... LOL I use Dextron VI in my GM and I'll tell you what, It costs $92 to fill a dry transmission (12 quarts). I did that twice this year so far since the first time I built it I got a C-clip inverted and cooked a clutch pack... All the fluid was toast and the whole thing had to come apart to be cleaned before re-assy. Somewhat of an expensive f-up...

Either way the best way to get most of the fluid out is via a trans flush...

Or you can try to disconnect the pressure line to the radiator and put that into a large drain bucket and while watching that have someone else pouring in fluid while the car is running... Its somewhat a 3 person job, one at the key to shut it off when you run out of fluid to pour in, one pouring and one catching. I've heard of this method, but its not the best, since you kinda cant pour as quick as its pumping out.

• I Donated
I am looking on how the change the trans fluid. I am assuming there is a plug on the bottom of the trans? So I just let that drain and refill?

Only problem is I heard that it never drains all the fluid.

There are two types of transmission services.

1- flush

hook into the transmission cooler lines with a machine to get 100% of the fluid. Any shop will have a machine for it. The only downfall to this is that if your car has a lot of miles on it (over 100,000) a flush can wash the varnish off of the gears and cause the transmission to slip.

2 - drain and fill

a drain and fill is just draining the pan out. this only gets about 1/3 of the fluid but is the safer method if your car has a lot of miles. When I do this type of service, I usually go ahead and replace the pan gasket and filter as well.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived