LegacyGT.com

How do you get your wife to let you make mods to your car?

My girlfriend hates my car. She hates how much I talk about it. She hates the money I spend on it. She hates when I go out on Friday nights to the Subaru meet. She hates how I have to talk to every person I see with a turbo Subaru. She hates this stupid time-suck forum...

But she puts up with it. Shit, she even posed by it once. I'm not changing anytime soon. :)

Sound exactly like my wife. I always have things delivered when she isn't home. But she spend money on her hobbies also, so it works out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?

I put my pants on. She has/get everything she wants/needs/asks for, i put money into the things that we agree are important to us, i put money into investments and the savings account and make sure all the bills are paid.

what i do with the rest of the money I make isnt for her to tell me what to do with.

I start out really cheap, i did hogzaust, DIY grill and I just tinted my tails, she is pretty satisfied with those so now im talking about up/down pipes sway bars and exhaust. All of which will be done in a show by a pro.

I live by the motto "its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" and what she don't know wont hurt her. However she HATES the pink STi badge I put on without asking/telling.

I with-hold sex too, but they say thats a form of spousal abuse.........

:spin:

My wife and I don't have any issues with this stuff. If I wanted to spend $3k on wheels, she'd b*tch about it for a day then get over it. We have combined finances and separate finances, my toys get paid for out of my pocket. The mortgage is always paid ahead, plenty of food in the fridge... money in the bank. Life is good, enjoy it.

Sometimes I hide mods for the fun of it, just to see what I can get away with. I've had the Bosal / SPT 1.5 exhaust on for about a month now undetected... installed it in the garage while she was upstairs. I'm actually a little proud of that one! :p

My wife complained about it until she drove the car afterwards. Now if it makes it drive better she is totally into it. So I just have to tell her it will make it drive nicer.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

Legend is onto something. "You can also go the "sweetie the exhaust is corroded and I need to change it or the car will fall apart" or "The shocks are shot hon , we need new Koni's or the baby is going to throw up from all the pogoing" You then rock the Leggy side to side (parked or while moving) . You have to trick her into thinking its routine maintenance. I get away with that all the time but I think she is catching on.

I got the "Then why did you buy such a POS car to begin with?"

The "But it's a Subaru!" answer doesn't work so well...

My better half thinks it's all a big joke, which it kind of is. Just promise her she gets to decorate the next house, and you're golden.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Luckily my significant other loves my car. I know I don't follow the rules of this thread, but she loves the mods... she drives a forester na... wish i could mod that bad boy/lesbo wagon. no offense. I love that thing. She loves my car to death. We have our own play money and we never hate on each other for what we do with it.

My girlfriend hates my car. She hates how much I talk about it. She hates the money I spend on it. She hates when I go out on Friday nights to the Subaru meet. She hates how I have to talk to every person I see with a turbo Subaru. She hates this stupid time-suck forum...

But she puts up with it. Shit, she even posed by it once. I'm not changing anytime soon. :)

ha ha...substitute wife for girlfriend and it pretty much sums it up for me.

Get a new wife?

If you have to ask your wife to spend your money on your car, then you probably have much bigger problems!

My wife gets jealous when I buy stuff for my truck and keeps asking when she gets more stuff for her car!

Our cars have a GREAT trunk!!!! Just stuff her in it. LOL J/K. I know I know, bad joke!!!! Unluckily I'm in an emissions testing state. On my last car, i just told my girl that I had holes in the exhaust and that it had to be replaced. Got a louder exhaust and played dumb. "I didn't know that the replacement exhaust would be this loud. I didn't get the OEM one because they charge an extra $300 which I figured I'd just give to you. (she whines that it will be too loud) Well, lets just give a couple weeks. These things usually mellow out and quiet down once "broken-in". " Ofcourse, she just got used to the sound. The stereo drowned out the "drone" anyways.

Texas is as much an emissions testing state as it is a liberal anti-religion state. They plug in a dongle to your OBD2 port and scan for error codes. Then check your gas cap, etc. You don't need cats to pass.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

This thread is weak sauce.

If this does not work out simply explain that Bob keeps asking you to join him down at Cheeta's for taco night and 2 for 1 lap dances but you want to spend all your money on the car.

Now THAT's FUNNY!!

Rehab is for quitters.

Simple solution.

Step 1: complete nondisclosure and combine finances.

Step 2: negotiate a % that you can sack away into a personal account for hobbies.

Step 3: explain that said account can be used on car parts, remote control airplanes or a new gun and it is your hobby money - not something for her to comment on.

As long as my parts cost less than my "fun money" no problem. Not enough fun money - FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE MONEY MONEY not a higher %.

If this does not work out simply explain that Bob keeps asking you to join him down at Cheeta's for taco night and 2 for 1 lap dances but you want to spend all your money on the car.

This is really the BEST answer anyone has given. I got a buddy that does this with his finances and him and his wife love it. But my "generous gift" strategy works too.. just bought my wife a netbook for Mother's Day last week and this week bought another 6 months of personal training for her. So it's already my turn again. ;)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Simple solution.

Step 1: complete nondisclosure and combine finances.

Step 2: negotiate a % that you can sack away into a personal account for hobbies.

Step 3: explain that said account can be used on car parts, remote control airplanes or a new gun and it is your hobby money - not something for her to comment on.

As long as my parts cost less than my "fun money" no problem. Not enough fun money - FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE MONEY MONEY not a higher %.

ESPECIALLY the last paragraph.... The ideology before that is what we do, $200 a month for me and for her that's our own money to do whatever we want with, it adds up fast if you're not wasteful with it...

or....

Scenario 1: "Honey, come take a look at these forum posts on failure of the stock turbo. Holy crap, sometimes it takes out the whole engine, that would be expensive! I can get x turbo with supporting mods and a protune for x dollars. It's much cheaper than replacing the engine and would be more fun too."

Scenario 2: "Honey, look what happens when I do _____ with the stock clutch. Man this thing is terrible... Paying someone to replace it would be x dollars in labor plus parts. Stock replacement parts is x dollars. If I do super duper performance part for this outrageous amount myself I'd still save money AND the clutch will last longer because it won't slip again like the weak factory one."

This is really the BEST answer anyone has given. I got a buddy that does this with his finances and him and his wife love it. But my "generous gift" strategy works too.. just bought my wife a netbook for Mother's Day last week and this week bought another 6 months of personal training for her. So it's already my turn again. ;)

Smart man! Talk about a win-win ;)

Archived