LegacyGT.com

How do you get your wife to let you make mods to your car?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louder exhaust means more people hear you on the road. More people notice you, less likely you are to get in an accident, so your insurance rates will go down, So your not spending them on mods your spending now to save money later on insurance. Also makes it safer if you have kids for same reason stated above.

The loud exhaust will stop you from falling asleep behind the wheel which saves you from crashing. Again no insurance claim, no hospital visit, everyone is happy.

Louder exhaust means more people hear you on the road. More people notice you, less likely you are to get in an accident, so your insurance rates will go down, So your not spending them on mods your spending now to save money later on insurance. Also makes it safer if you have kids for same reason stated above.

The loud exhaust will stop you from falling asleep behind the wheel which saves you from crashing. Again no insurance claim, no hospital visit, everyone is happy.

:lol: right.

Legend is onto something. "You can also go the "sweetie the exhaust is corroded and I need to change it or the car will fall apart" or "The shocks are shot hon , we need new Koni's or the baby is going to throw up from all the pogoing" You then rock the Leggy side to side (parked or while moving) . You have to trick her into thinking its routine maintenance. I get away with that all the time but I think she is catching on.

Legend is onto something. "You can also go the "sweetie the exhaust is corroded and I need to change it or the car will fall apart" or "The shocks are shot hon , we need new Koni's or the baby is going to throw up from all the pogoing" You then rock the Leggy side to side (parked or while moving) . You have to trick her into thinking its routine maintenance. I get away with that all the time but I think she is catching on.

What happens if she thinks routine maintenance is waste of $$ ? :confused:

There are drivers out there who never change oil and tires because they think it should go on forever... I have seen many bald tires on the road.

Its called be responsible with your money. If you're having to choose between new wheels and electricity to your house/apartment, you're messing up.

Make sure that she knows that car modding is a hobby and that you enjoy the time spent under the car or in the engine bay. If you spend your money wisely while doing it and your wife has problems with it, it might be time to get a new wife.

It's cool; I'm with the band

What happens if she thinks routine maintenance is waste of $$ ? :confused:

There are drivers out there who never change oil and tires because they think it should go on forever... I have seen many bald tires on the road.

Treat it as an opportunity to educate her about preventative maintenance, and a little money and effort now can save you a pile down the road.

If she drives the car at all, then any money spent on it is to ensure her safety. This works for brakes, suspension, tires, etc, not so great for in-dash dvd players, or appearance mods, lol.

This thread is weak sauce.

Simple solution.

Step 1: complete nondisclosure and combine finances.

Step 2: negotiate a % that you can sack away into a personal account for hobbies.

Step 3: explain that said account can be used on car parts, remote control airplanes or a new gun and it is your hobby money - not something for her to comment on.

As long as my parts cost less than my "fun money" no problem. Not enough fun money - FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE MONEY MONEY not a higher %.

If this does not work out simply explain that Bob keeps asking you to join him down at Cheeta's for taco night and 2 for 1 lap dances but you want to spend all your money on the car.

Its called be responsible with your money. If you're having to choose between new wheels and electricity to your house/apartment, you're messing up.

Make sure that she knows that car modding is a hobby and that you enjoy the time spent under the car or in the engine bay.

DING DING DING

If money is a major issue, i.e. you don't have any, then spending money on the car is a fools mission.

It goes without saying, though, that all mods that are important (power mods mostly) must wait until the car is out of warranty. I have 82k left on mine, lol.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

:lol: at this thread.

But seriously, if she buys shoes and purses, your mod parts are the same thing. Everyone has something they spend money on.

Like the previous poster said, each of you should budget so much a month for your fun spending. Then she can't bitch about it!

My girlfriend hates my car. She hates how much I talk about it. She hates the money I spend on it. She hates when I go out on Friday nights to the Subaru meet. She hates how I have to talk to every person I see with a turbo Subaru. She hates this stupid time-suck forum...

But she puts up with it. Shit, she even posed by it once. I'm not changing anytime soon. :)

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/3053/SDC10654.JPG

Archived