LegacyGT.com

Magden M.1 Review: Digital Gauges to Nav

dr_sharp

I got the Magden unit today. Kudos to the guy on Nasioc for using USPS priority and getting it to me in 2 days!

It looks great. I have some horizontal lines that are slightly visible but I believe that is an artifact of an old composite cable. I have a new one that I'm going to try when I do the actual install.

Since we cannot hook up the touch-screen feature (at least for now) to external sources, I needed a USB pointing device. I tried a regular USB mouse and it worked fine. The legacy is not on the list of vehicles to select but everything works out OK if you select the STi. The current gear display requires a calibration so the different ratios in 5th and 6th is no problem. The speed matches the speedometer perfectly but the tachometer seems to read slightly higher than the car's tach (i.e. 3100 instead of 3000). I guess you could attribute this to the different redlines? (6250 vs. 7000). It could also just be the fact that the car's tach may have some lag from inertia since it is an analog gauge, but I will check it out at constant speed and report back. Other than that, everything they say about it is true. The different layouts are nice and there are alot of color selections. Unforunately the colors are limited and vary at each layout. In other words, I can select red gauges in one of the layouts, but not in another layout. There are 3 base layouts. The first is the standard layout with 2 large gauges -- top left, top right -- and 3 small gauges -- in a triangle below the two big ones. The second layout is the nicest looking in my opinion. It has 4 small gauges and 1 large gauge. They are laid out like the 5 on a die, and the top right is larger than the rest. The final layout is a column of bar graphs. I think the only thing the bar graph would be cool for is the g-meter. You can easily switch between english and metric units and everything seems to function just fine. The unit comes with a 1GB usb stick which I assume could be used to export recorded data to a PC.

I've attached the pictures that I took of it while hooking it up. When I go to hook it up, I will probably put it under the passenger seat as this seems to be the most convenient location. It is too big for the center console.

I do have one issue that I'd love to get some input on: how to enable nav video input while the lights are turned on. I've had this problem ever since I did the wire mod on the dvd reader under the driver's seat (aka nav in motion mod). It never bothered me since I had no intention of watching videos at night, but now I would like to have this functioning both day and night. Let me know if you know how to fix this! Thanks.

1902422617_Magden001.jpg.a0979c84e8da7c6192c81f019d7b6a0c.jpg

1587260346_Magden002.jpg.bbbfd97b5a1957ecf8f7bb1700f89fa8.jpg

1937672604_Magden003.jpg.30b4b70fc0c657d4ced2f5130693d59e.jpg

215179186_Magden009.jpg.80dd247d6c724d6bcdb6a6e6497862c4.jpg

lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDk2GyCAZ64]YouTube- Magden M1 in 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dULeq3kUA]YouTube- Magden M1 in 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B (2)[/ame]

Sorry guys, in the second video I forgot to convert the speed and dynamic torque readings to english units :(

lol

What'd that thing cost?

It'd be TOTALLY worth it if it were compatible with the touch screen Kenwood unit.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It was 650. Slightly cheaper since I got it used, but basically full price since it was mint condition and never officially installed. I think it works fine with other nav units that are designed to have touch input. The stock nav that we have wasn't designed to have other inputs for the touch screen to interface with.
lol

I wonder if that's actually true. It's a kenwood unit, so I imagine there is SOME way to hack in touch input. Kenwood sure won't spill the beans though.

If it were touch input capable, this and the Kenwood/Garmin nav box would be the ideal setup.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...
What are all the parameters you can display for the LGT on this thing? Does it do EGT?

I don't think EGT is one of the default options. You can do EGT, but you have to add a sensor. I am still planning on doing a more thorough review + video once I finish the final install. This make take some time though since this is overlapping with my audio install.

Off the top of my head I'm remembering the following:

RPM

speed

mass airflow

ignition timing

boost pressure

engine coolant temperature

dynamic hp

dynamic torque

throttle position

gear position

... there are a few more, but memory is not a friend of mine... the important thing is that everything works... so there aren't any hiccups between LGT and STi.

lol

If you decide you want to sell it let me know.

Will keep that in mind. I think there may be one or two others in line in front of you, though :)

I really don't know why magden stopped making these. Its a great product with an outstanding user interface. They must have been losing money one the hardware portion of them. It is quite unfortunate.

lol

My wife would kill me if she came home to my car looking like that. Good on you, mate!

My wife would kill me if she came home to my car looking like that. Good on you, mate!

:lol:... well its only temporary...

Keep in mind that this has little to do with the magden unit.

Another observation that I've made... the magden RPM readout definitely reads higher than the tachometer, even at constant speed. But only by a very small amount... maybe 50-100 rpm... and it does so in each gear... i.e. it does not get better or worse as your row through the gears. I don't think that this is caused by the difference in redline, but rather just an artifact caused by an inaccurate tachometer.

lol

Quick question - Does the Magden stay configured and active between power-offs, or do you have to "mouse" and enable screens each time you start the car? I'm currently displaying gauges from my iTouch to the Nav, but I'm already tired of setting up the program each time I start the car...

Hmmm.... I could probably live with a minute startup as long as it all happens in the background while I drive. ;)

Thanks for the info!

All settings are saved at power off. It does take a minute or two for startup and for the warning screen to go away. That's my only complaint so far.

Hmmm.... I could probably live with a minute startup as long as it all happens in the background while I drive. ;)

Thanks for the info!

I guess I should also clarify that the startup is about 30-45 seconds. After that, a screen pops up that says "don't stare at this while you drive"... that one lasts for another 60 seconds or so. You can tap the screen twice to get rid of it, I just can't tap the screen since the factory nav doesn't do touch interface with it.

lol

• 4 years later...

Archived